‘23 JL 2dr Sport S 3.6 Regear w/35s?

TxAirHedz

I bought a new JL in October. Came with 3.45 gears. Immediately added bumpers, lights, a 2.5” lift and 35s. Now it obviously drives like a dog. Getting about 12 mpg and never sees 7th or 8th gears on the highway. I figured that would probably happen. I do have a fairly good understanding of how gearing works. So now I’m trying to decide whether or not I want to swap out the 35s for 33s. It would be less costly than regearing. But I don’t think it would completely solve the problem. My other concern is if I keep the 35s and regear, probably to 4.56, then I may have to think about how the Dana 35 axles are gonna hold up. I don’t plan on wheeling it hard. Mostly just mountain and dirt roads and the beach. But since I live in south Texas I do need to drive quite a way to get to any mountains.

Thoughts?

ZONE ZERO

real quick the Dana 35 was stopped in I think 05 on the tj line of wranglers you probably have a Dana 30 front and a 44 rear that’s standard on jk and jl models unless it’s a rubicon then it comes with Dana 44s front and rear.
All of these axles are fine with 35s. try An AEV PROCAL tuner it lets the computer know the new tire size then it will shift the trans correctly and get your speedometer back in check. I would start there it’s cheaper than tires or a re gear.

for reference I have a 4 door 2018 jku with 315/70r17s with a winch and bumper. im running stock 3.21 gears. And Im running 17-18 mpg with an automatic transmission and just a computer change.
‘I will be going to 456 or 488s at some point but I don’t have that kind of money laying around.

TxAirHedz

real quick the Dana 35 was stopped in I think 05 on the tj line of wranglers you probably have a Dana 30 front and a 44 rear that’s standard on jk and jl models unless it’s a rubicon then it comes with Dana 44s front and rear.
All of these axles are fine with 35s. try An AEV PROCAL tuner it lets the computer know the new tire size then it will shift the trans correctly and get your speedometer back in check. I would start there it’s cheaper than tires or a re gear.

for reference I have a 4 door 2018 jku with 315/70r17s with a winch and bumper. im running stock 3.21 gears. And Im running 17-18 mpg with an automatic transmission and just a computer change.
‘I will be going to 456 or 488s at some point but I don’t have that kind of money laying around.

According to the sticker it has a M200 rear axle. I’m not sure what that is or how it would compare to the Dana 44. As for the front, I assumed it was a Dana 35. So youre probably right. It is a Dana 30.

I have a Tazer on it to recalibrate the speedo and seems to be doing just that.

I’m really not sure what to do next. I have a ‘22 Gladiator with the 3.6 on 37s that I had regeared to 5.13s and it made a huge difference. The engine and trans work as they should. But the regear was pricier than I thought. About $3,100. I don’t want to sink that much into the Wrangler if it’s gonna cause problems with either axle. But I may be worried for no reason.

Thanks for your reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk