12V Socket for Fridges: clever ones?

articulate

Expedition Leader
What kind of 12v socket are you using to power your fridge? I purchased one at Radio Shack, which has been somewhat of a bust. It's not as rigid as I'd like.

I found this beauty online:
4917.jpg

So far I can't find it near home (mainland USA). This Australian site has it, though.

I like that it appears to screw (or bolt if you can) down to a surface solidly. Where can I get one like this in the USA? Ideas?

Gracias, amigos.
Mark

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking with Will at Sierra Expeditions the other day and they are getting ready to carry a locking 12 plug/socket. It sounds very interesting and very HD durable.

They won't have them till September.

Brian

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have a three outlet hub from Radio Shack and last year my fridge came unplugged on a bumpy road, I have since duct-taped it in. :peepwall:

I have some fancy locking outlets from West Marine but I have not installed them yet.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
It doesn't look like you need a flush mount one but I'll share anyways.

I like these West Marine one's. The plugs are snug and the receptacles mount securely.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
When I used to work refitting sailboats in a yard, we installed these things all the time rated at something like 20-25amps at 12v.

I think they're called a Hella-type plug? ...strike that most web sites say the hella plug is different, but I really thought they were called that...

Last edited:

loeky

I got a simple flip up flush mount from Pep Boys and mounted in the side panel in the rear of my FJ60. Sounds ghetto - but is very integrated looking and stays out of the way.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the fast replies guys. If I had to pick one of yours to go with . . .

I like Chuck's the best:
Ursidae69 said:
. . . I have since duct-taped it in. :peepwall:

:snorkel:

I wish a flush mount would work in my situation. The surface mount is what I've "got" to use.

What I see at AT is nice, but why is it the size of a pool table? I actually think it'll work, though. What's Wil and Wen going to be carrying?

Edit:
Here's a photo of my situation. I need to screw a socket into the wall back there. Flush mount - while cool - is no good. The connection won't be protected on the backside.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Now we're into a good candidate for one of the various electronics project boxes. Mount it flat to that rear wall with the wire & socket entering on the side(s). You can buy water resistant (proof?) project boxes from places like Allied Electronics or Newark. Might cruise those pages anyway, may be an existing option that will work for you right out of the box.

The West Marine sourced locking items linked above are pretty nice parts. The socket will accept any normal plug without issue. The locking plug has a little rubber seal around it's base that engages the outer edge of the socket. It goes in like a normal plug, but is then is twisted a 1/4 turn to lock. Reverse to unlock. They are a major feature on the YJ from Hell, every socket and plug on the unit was one of these parts.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Must be one of those micro-mini pool tables.

If you have a recess or cavity (no jokes :eek: ) you can flush mount the 12 volt socket, it would end up looking like a regular 12 volt outlet in a vehicle. The locking plugs are regular size.

articulate said:
Thanks for the fast replies guys. If I had to pick one of yours to go with . . .

I like Chuck's the best:

:snorkel:

I wish a flush mount would work in my situation. The surface mount is what I've "got" to use.

What I see at AT is nice, but why is it the size of a pool table? I actually think it'll work, though. What's Wil and Wen going to be carrying?

Edit:
Here's a photo of my situation. I need to screw a socket into the wall back there. Flush mount - while cool - is no good. The connection won't be protected on the backside.

taugust

Adventurer
Since appearance doesn't appear :oops: to be critical, why not fab an angle bracket to mount one of the flush mount units on the back wall? Or better yet, make it a U-channel to hide the guts a little more. I second the ones (non-locking) from West Marine as they are good units, but maybe locking would be better in this application.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Mark,

Can you simply re-install the one you have vertically instead of horizontally?

May sound silly, but I was thinking about the 2 plugs I'm using. I have one for the fridge in the trailer (takes a lot of abuse and vibration behind the axle on washboards) and one in the rear of the Montero. Both are the simple flush-mount kind. They never come loose. So the only major difference I see is that yours is mounted laterally instead of vertically. Maybe it's a bit easier for this one to work itself loose without gravity working on its behalf?

Instead, another one of those cable management brackets mounted right next to the plug might work too. Then you could use a cable tie to hold the cable in place and take the pressure off of the plug/receptacle.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Did a search for your Mark,

a few popped up.

But this what stood out. Especially with it's extra little light.

Kinda Kewl.............!

rodi_2006_113645798

They also have one without the light. If you can't use it......I thought it was a good addition to your 12Volt Info thread .....anyway....:cow:

Cabella's has one that Lock's.

(I got to use the Cow!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal