1300L Question(s)

ShootingFish

What is the latest camper box that you could put on a 1300L? Keeping in mind that I don't want to over load or lose too much departure angle.

Secondly, how comfortable is the cab for 3? That is the size of our family and we are not concerned about having a pass through.

Thirdly... Turbo charged with fast axels or class overdrive?

Thanks!

Colin

chadlanc

Adventurer
http://www.blissmobil.com

With the standard military seats its definitely only 2 adults comfortably. You could push it to 2 adults and a small child but there is not much leg room for the person sitting in the middle. If you want more room up front get a DOKA.

Turbo and fast axles. You can get by on standard axles if your not trying to drive long distances in a single shot.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Given the choice between fast axles and the Claas OD, my preference is the OD due to the ability to get nearly the same final drive ratio but have the ability to split gears. This effectively transforms your 8 speed gearbox into 16 which can be a big advantages on the hills.

I'll second the comment about the turbo pretty much being a required piece of kit for comfortable driving at highway speeds. The additional gearing really benefits from the turbo's increase in power and torque enhancements.

ShootingFish

A turbo is a genuine requirement!

Loonwheeler: do you have any interior photos of your rig?

I like the idea of the OD for all of the reasons that Loonwheeler stated, but the truck that I have found with someone else's ;-) assistance already has fast axles, and I am doubting that it would be worth the investment to swap them back to standard and add the OD. We are out west and distances are obviously rather vast.

I will check out blissmobil.com

Thanks everyone!

CW

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I ended up bending the reverse/working gear levers, and modifying/short shift the main gear stick to create more space in mine. Yourcould do that with the three seater, but the military seats are pretty hard on any longer runs. My camper is rated for proper seats in the back, and the big pass through lets the rear passengers see out the front windows. If you want to drive long distances, you need proper comfortable seats, or it will become very tedious. Most people end up selling their mogs because it is too slow, too noisy, too uncomfortable. With a fair bit of effort you can make it a lot better.

I would definitely keep the fast axles, and look at getting a set of working gears fitted for the proper off road stuff. Fast Axles, Garret GT2860RS Turbo, Claas O/D, bigger tyres ( 365/80-20) and Working gears is what I have on mine, can cruise nicely at 2000rpm/90kph or drive really slowly ( less than 1kph) over the rock ledges. My fuel consumption is pretty good, down the Gibb River Road (1500km of good/bad/terrible/OMG roads) my fuel consumption averaged out at 22l/100km thanks to the low gearing with all the above, nice to be able to sit at 1500rpm on the slower parts. I have somewhere between 185-200hp now that I'm running up to 16psi boost. It's nice to be able to pass the slow caravans even on an uphill :)

loonwheeler

Adventurer
I like the idea of the OD for all of the reasons that Loonwheeler stated, but the truck that I have found with someone else's ;-) assistance already has fast axles, and I am doubting that it would be worth the investment to swap them back to standard and add the OD. We are out west and distances are obviously rather vast.

100% agree. I might recommend to keep the fast axles and hold off on adding an OD until you get a handle on what you think your next upgrade will be. There will always be more upgrades to be had - but for me it is about prioritizing them by what is need vs want and which ones will have the most impact on the user experience. Everyone's preferences are a bit different in that regard.

foxhunter

Adventurer
My U1200 has 3 seats and I have no issues with with room for 3 normal sized adults. That said, they are not air ride, and I definitely would not want to spend 8 hours as a passenger in any of the seats. But the longer wheelbase of the U1300 probably would give a more comfortable ride.

unirover

Observer
In terms of seating, I've found the front seats good for two average sized adults and one kid / small adult. It works great with young kids. My son fits in the middle and it is actually nice to have him up front as opposed to by himself in the back.It was also great when he was in his kids seat. I've done long drives with three tall adults and that gets tiring fast though, especially if you have to shift a lot since the middle pax knees will get in the way. Definitely not ideal for three average to large adult males unless it is just for short trips. I've found the non air seats to be fine, even on long drives.I've done lots of long hauls with the stock army seats and I actually find them to be pretty comfortable, but I come from old school German style upright seating ergonomics.

It is not worth removing high speed gears for a Claas. The claas gives more gearing options but not really a better final drive ratio and the high speed gears create less wear and tear and are one less thing to have issues with. If you have the high speed gears, it is well worth keeping them. Adding a Claas to high speed gears will really help 100-110 kph cruising though, especially with a turbo OM366A. As others have mentioned, turbo is a big bonus with fast axles and/or overdrive.

In terms of boxes, there are a lot of options. Do you want something removable or permanently built on? What level of creature comforts do you want? I've got a turn key ambulance that is basically a stripped camper. It is an awesome size, especially if you want to do tight trails and keep the dimensions tight. Down side is you can't stand up inside and they are pretty basic. Blissmobil is on the other end of the spectrum. Really comfortable with all the bells and whistles and with standing room but very tall and heavy. If you don't need a removable back, there are other options that use the space more efficiently. There are quite a few places in Europe that will do anything from a shell to a full out finished box designed to be permanently mounted on the vehicle. There are also Zeppelin shelters that can be easily converted into campers, but again if you don't need to take the box off, it does not make the best use of the space in the back. Zeppelins are great though for a weekend camper for a work/play U1300L or 1200L It really comes down to budget and priorities. However, weight becomes an issue much sooner than most people expect, especially if you are going to be carrying extra water, fuel, tires etc. A U1300L can do pretty good off road at the GVW but if the weight is not distributed well it can really effect the capability of a U1300L. The height of a box also should be considered as much as the rear departure angle. I've seen more expedition vehicles limited / damaged due to height than break over angles.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I agree, a turbo is a must, especially if you need to go uphill.
It's been a while, but I have no good memories of the seats... Even though the mogs are tons of fun to drive, doing a 5 hour trip to the proofing grounds was brutal. I would recommend better seats.
Key for the U1300L Unimogs is to keep the overall weight down. That keeps the stress on the axles at bay. I know many Mog campers that needed the axles rebuild because they are close to max weight all the time. Give me a shout for light weight composite campers. I'm estimating our boxes around 7-800kg for a empty U1300L box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1