2004 Tacoma with 145,xxx miles......to lift or not??

climber-420

Adventurer
So i'm just going to jump right into this one. I have a 2004 Tacoma 3.4L V6 TRD (265/75/16 BFG KO2's) with 145,xxx miles on the truck. I got an ARB bumper and Warn M8000 put onto the truck this past fall, because I hit a deer and insurance covered it for me. My suspension is pretty bad in the front due to the extra weight, and stock in the rear (I have a Leer Camper Shell on year round).

My question is:

With the age and mileage on my truck, should I get suspension lift, or just replace a few things here and there?? I have been looking at the Old Man Emu 3" lift (with the 883 coils) for a little while now, and I think it would do wonders for the truck, plus help the front end. With this particular lift, do I really need new UCA'S?? And if so, do I go with the Light Racing, or Total Chaos, or are there other recommendations?

My purposes are not hard wheeling, but forest service roads and light wheeling to get into good camping areas. Any recommendations are helpful. I know this has been beaten to death on the internet but it is hard to find or track down good answers with so many forums on here these days.

Thanks!

BajaSurfRig

@climber_420 I think that it is absolutely worth putting fresh suspension on your Tacoma. You still have alot of miles to go before that thing gives up the ghost (mine has 230K on it).

I highly recommend going with the old man emu kit. I have it on mine and have been running it for 40k miles and it still works like a charm, even after hundreds and hundreds of miles of washboard roads in Baja.

You don't need UCA's but if you have the money it will help with flex and will keep tires from rubbing on your UCA's and it will help keep your alignment in factory specs.

Buenas suerte!!

climber-420

Adventurer
@climber_420 I think that it is absolutely worth putting fresh suspension on your Tacoma. You still have alot of miles to go before that thing gives up the ghost (mine has 230K on it).

I highly recommend going with the old man emu kit. I have it on mine and have been running it for 40k miles and it still works like a charm, even after hundreds and hundreds of miles of washboard roads in Baja.

You don't need UCA's but if you have the money it will help with flex and will keep tires from rubbing on your UCA's and it will help keep your alignment in factory specs.

Buenas suerte!!

Baja,

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Did you get aftermarket UCA's for your rig?

txmxer

I have the exact same set up as you as far as truck, arb, warn winch, camper shell. My truck came with bilstein struts that lift it (they're off now and I'm selling them). I put icon coilovers on with proper spring rate for the extra weight from bumper and winch and total chaos ucas. Im much happier with the set up.

climber-420

Adventurer
I have the exact same set up as you as far as truck, arb, warn winch, camper shell. My truck came with bilstein struts that lift it (they're off now and I'm selling them). I put icon coilovers on with proper spring rate for the extra weight from bumper and winch and total chaos ucas. Im much happier with the set up.

Thanks. I called Wheeler's Offroad down in OR, and talked with one of the shop guys for a while. He said UCA's weren't necessary, but would be a good idea to put on now, instead of paying twice later for shop time. I think I will go with the OME setup as that seems to be the best for my year truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1