2006 grand cherokee reliability?

bac0701

Observer
long story short my 4runner frame busted due to rust and I'm in a pinch. I've been in a toyota for the past 9 years. i don't know much at all about jeeps but someone local offered a 06 to me with like 50k miles for 11k? i believe its a 6cyl. could anyone enlighten me. i loved my 4runner but i think I'm going to part ways, tacoma was bought back and this was a let down.

Mitch502

Explorer
Eh. We have an 06. I refused to get anything besides a v8. maybe someone with personal experience can chime in, but as much as I love Jeeps, for 11K I'd be looking at Land Cruisers if you're wanting to stay in the Toyota family.

What are you going to be doing with this vehicle?

Oh, and we paid ~15K for our 06 It's a Limited w/ HEMI and 70K miles.

mtbxj87

Adventurer
As a mechanic, I am in the 3.7 and 4.7 motors quite often. Some at as young as 70k. they have oiling problems. A lifter looses pressure some how, debris or pressure bleed down, then the rockers fall off into the valve covers. It's dumb. Plus theyre over head valve and still only two valves per cylinder, kinda redundant. I think the chassis is ok tho, nice interior, nice riding suspension. Tho the IFS is limited for lift options.

ZMagic97

Explorer
If you don;t mind getting one two years older, the 2004s and down with the 4,0 I6 are legends. Happy hunting!

kayadog

Adventurer
I have 2010 3.7 Grand Cherokee I've had since new with 102k miles on it now and like it but don't love it. The 3.7 is underpowered and the vast majority of V6 WK's came with the quadra-trac I single speed transfer case so they don't have low range if that matters to you. Other than that its been very reliable, is very comfortable on long trips (just took ours on a 2,500 road trip), and is more capable than you would think in stock form. It averages about 18mpg mixed driving. You can get a 2" spacer lift cheap and run 265/70r17's, but I'm sure the 3.7 will be even more strained.

As far as the engine problem described above the exact thing happened to my 2005 KJ Liberty at 70,000 miles, although I haven't heard of it being an issue with the WK although it certainly could be! I don't think 2006 was a great year for Chrysler.

I don't think I'd get another 3.7 QT1 WK unless it was a smokin' deal. I would consider a Hemi with QT2 or Quadra drive.

paroxysym

Adventurer
unfortunately I wouldn't buy a WK without getting one with at least a 4.7 v8.

ive had mine for over 80k, I bought it with 62k on it and im approaching the 150k mark. shes been really good to me. with your basic maintenance and using quality products during my maintenance intervals, shes been trouble free- ive daily driven here since I bought her, with a tune and shes been lifted and now shes back to stock height. really enjoy my WK, even at stock height.

bac0701

Observer
its a v6.. I'm on the fence about it. 11k doesn't seem to bad. idk what to do I'm also looking for a frontier/xterra but can't find anything.. I'm moving from yota. this whole thing bothers me my tacoma was bought back but no help on the 4runner back when

Smksignals

Explorer
Regarding the Xterra, google the term 'SMOD', strawberry milkshake of death. The trans cooler lines running to the radiator crack/break and the fluids mix together. Coolant into the trans I believe.

I cant help much with thoughts on the Jeep WK w/3.7. I have the Commander (same chassis as the GC) with a 5.7 and QDII and love it !

paroxysym

Adventurer
its a v6.. I'm on the fence about it. 11k doesn't seem to bad. idk what to do I'm also looking for a frontier/xterra but can't find anything.. I'm moving from yota. this whole thing bothers me my tacoma was bought back but no help on the 4runner back when

there are guys that love the v6 in the WK, i would strongly suggest looking into a tuner if you buy it though. if its clean, you like it, etc. then go for it. has the same tranny as the srt8 WK so its actually a nice tranny, the engine just seems to be a bit of a dog for the platform

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1