2016 Tacoma DCSB...a work in (slow) progress

jon c

Supporting Sponsor: Magpul
ExPo has been a tremendous resource. I've been reading for a year now, but I am so out of my depth here this will be my first post. Looking forward to sharing the progress, hopefully you guys enjoy the story as much as I've enjoyed everyone else's.

Late last year, I got the bug again. My 2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4 was about to crest 100K, and was still worth a very decent amount of money. It was a wonderful truck, but the size and fuel consumption limited where I could go without serious (read: expensive) mods that I couldn't justify. Also, being my DD, I wanted a vehicle that would still be well mannered around town and easier to park than my Tundra. The one thing I hated about my Tundra was it's Nimitz-class aircraft carrier turning radius. I started the search in earnest in January. I was pretty set on another pickup, but I considered a new 4Runner and a gently used FJC in addition to the Tacoma. We are swapping our 2008 Sequoia out for a 2016 Trail Edition 4Runner, so I figured one was enough. The FJC had frankly gotten more expensive than I was willing to pay and I wanted 4 doors. I lug a lot of range equipment and climbing/ski gear and a truck bed just works better for that, for me.

Before I took off for SHOT Show in Vegas, I went to the half-dozen local Toyota places and picked a dealer I liked. 2016 Tacomas were sitting on the lot in CO for about 12 minutes on average, so it took about two weeks to find something I'd want. They'd call, I'd say yes to a truck, when they called back to transfer the truck it would have already been sold. They found a 2016 SR5 DCSB 4x4 in Super White at a dealer in Sydney, NE and it was on it's way. I knew I was going to change the suspension, wheels, and tires, and after a bad E-Locker experience in my Sequoia I had settled on ARB Air Lockers for this truck, so the SR5 made sense. I went from the airport to the dealer and about an hour later was on my way home. Road manners were good, fuel economy has been excellent (for now), and the first time I went to park in downtown Boulder...so much easier. It was a big step down in size from my Tundra so that took some getting used to, as did the low-slung seating position which feels more like a car than a truck to me. My big dislikes (way too soft suspension, tires fit for a Prius) were going to go first anyways so I don't count them. Either way, I was happy. 2016 parts were still pretty limited in January so I have had plenty of time to research and plan the build. My schedule has been hectic and travel-heavy until now, so I am finally ready to start turning wrenches in earnest so I can use this thing over the summer.

My goals for this truck are pretty straight-forward. Reliable daily driver capable of performing well on moderate trails. I am more concerned with reliable access to the places I want to go than the actual off-road driving itself, if that makes sense. This is my mobile base camp for other activities, and most of those will involve unimproved dirt roads that nobody maintains more so than crawling over boulders. As soon as I got the truck I ordered a topper, and started diverting the funds and planning out the priority of future purchases.

Day 1:

12509597_181554838867894_7650474113772680734_n.jpg

Mods so far:

- ARE CX Topper
- Front Runner topper rack
- Tepui Ayer RTT (I mostly roll solo, it's lightweight, and with REI's 20% off sale it was only $700 shipped)
- TRD Pro 4Runner wheels (sitting in my garage waiting on suspension)
- Cooper ST Maxx 255/80R17. I dig pizza cutters for the terrain I drive on. (sitting in my garage waiting on suspension)
- Removing all the crappy chrome badges

On Order:

- OME suspension (886s, Dakars with AAL). This will be my 4th OME suspension. I had considered the new BP51s, but the lack of maintenance and simplicity on the Nitrocharger kits appeals to me.
- SPC/LR UCAs. As much as I wanted fancy billet uniball UCAs, the mag chloride out here seems to make them all noisy.
- ARB Air Locker, medium compressor, and switches
- ARB 2016 Tacoma front bumper. I am an ARB/OME fan boy, what can I say?
- Warn Zeon 10K winch
- MaxxTraxx
- RCI metalworks full aluminum skids, sliders
- Diff breather kit

Up next:

- CBI rear bumper with spare tire/jerry cans on swingout
- Front Runner rack over the cab
- Baja 40" light bar
- ARB lights on the bumper
- Off-Grid Engineering dual battery setup
- Cover King seat covers. My dogs stink. And so do I.
- Bed slide. I need my bed easily configurable and easy to empty, so a dedicated drawer set doesn't work. I will build a modular setup using hard cases and bags on a bed slide.
- Safari Snorkel, whenever they're available
- ARB awning

Hopefully, the lift and lockers will be in over the next two weeks. Until then gratuitous shot of the XO 4runner in Vegas, in a banana suit with a giant trophy.

12548917_180216602335051_2656666117709601926_n.jpg

Last edited:

jon c

Topper and Front Runner rack installed. Come on Fedex, Taco needs a new pair of shoes...

99superduty

I'll be following your build as this is almost identical to what I want to do with my '16. Where did you source the ARB front bumper? I haven't seen any out in the wild yet.....

jon c

Pre-ordered from a forecasted dealer allotment. I believe they are still on a boat at the moment.

sjwhitaker

Small world, I'm almost positive I met you at SHOT in 2013. I was there with Doublestar and went out to help with the 3 Gun Competition. Beautiful truck! Can't wait to check back in when more goodies arrive.

jon c

Installed the RTT. It was a pain, even with the Front Runner brackets.

Took a trip to Medicine Bow Peak, it wasn't noisy and to my surprise it didn't really hurt my mileage much. You can definitely tell the weight is up there when you're doing anything other than going straight. My suspension should be here this week or next week to sort that out, though. I'm trying to have all of the major stuff done by the time FJ Summit rolls around.

Coming from mountaineering tents and bivy sacks, the Ayer is like a decent apartment. I'm glad I didn't get a bigger tent.

jon c

Front:

Nitrocharger 90000 front shocks
886 springs (winch and ARB bumper going on also)
SPC upper control arms

Rear:

60091 rear shocks
Dakar leaf pack w/AAL

I'm anticipating 2+ inches when loaded for trips. I've been driving down Baja with some friends for two weeks, so the truck has been sitting in CO. I'm going to try and do everything other than the air locker install this week. The control arms came from Amazon, and I got the OME kit from a friend.

jon c

da59d592-3906-494a-8558-2b02d007f1fd_zpsd9trbuk6.jpg

It begins...trying to get everything (minus the air locker) done this week as time allows.

Not pictured: TRD Pro wheels and spare...I forgot them at my house. SPC UCAs, because I was too lazy to carry them down to the high bay.

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
da59d592-3906-494a-8558-2b02d007f1fd_zpsd9trbuk6.jpg

It begins...trying to get everything (minus the air locker) done this week as time allows.

Not pictured: TRD Pro wheels and spare...I forgot them at my house. SPC UCAs, because I was too lazy to carry them down to the high bay.

Nice evens comes with a truck gun!

keylay

Adventurer
Fun build! I didn't even know REI sold roof top tents. With as many discounts for members at the co-op, that's a hard deal to pass up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1