2023 RAM 3500 HELP

Mrkyak

Apparently no front locker is made or will fit my '23 RAM 3500, 7.3 swr, AAM 9.25 front axle. I bought this truck for an overland build. I can't see doing extensive back country travel without a front locker. You guys have any suggestions for me? Axle swap? Replace center diff with something else? Maxchine the inside of the diff so a locker will fit? I'm desperate to find a solution. Cost is not a concern.

ExpoMike

If cost is no concern, I would talk to the folks at Dynatrac and have them build you a custom axle. I believe this is what EarthCruiser is using for their Isuzu platform.

Hegear

I come from a rock crawling background. When building my overland rig I wanted a front locker. Ended up building off a power wagon. In reality I don’t really use the front locker. I have used it but mostly because I have it. 99% of time I only use the rear. I’d just build without. See how it goes.

UglyViking

The front 9.25" AAM has been the same on the 3500 since like 2014? Any front locker that fits on anything from then forward will work with your truck.

Mrkyak

The front 9.25" AAM has been the same on the 3500 since like 2014? Any front locker that fits on anything from then forward will work with your truck.
Yukon Gears is telling me changes in the 2019 and up RAMS that they know nothing will fit.

andy_b

Apparently no front locker is made or will fit my '23 RAM 3500, 7.3 swr, AAM 9.25 front axle. I bought this truck for an overland build. I can't see doing extensive back country travel without a front locker. You guys have any suggestions for me? Axle swap? Replace center diff with something else? Maxchine the inside of the diff so a locker will fit? I'm desperate to find a solution. Cost is not a concern.

Why do you think that a front locker is necessary for this type of project? “Overlanding” is just car camping for most people (including me). Front lockers are great on trucks that see real trails - on a heavy camper, it could theoretically help, but most of the time, it will probably just get you stuck deeper into a trail you probably don’t belong on.

If a front locker options really aren’t available for your current axle and a locker is necessary, there are a bunch of manufacturers that could custom build you a very robust custom axle housing and internals (Currie, Diamond, Dynatrac) or you could swap F350 running gear (pre-’22 because apparently the newer SD’s have D50 equivalent front axles). Depending upon your final gearing options, you may also need to swap the rear as well to ensure the gear ratios match.

Also, what RAM comes with a 7.3L?

nickw

Adventurer
Yukon Gears is telling me changes in the 2019 and up RAMS that they know nothing will fit.
These guys are calling it out as a 2003 - 2022.

I think you can find a limited slip / auto locker like this one from Yukon (may be others):

Depending on where you go, they really are not needed - it would be quite a ways down the list of things I'd spend money on personally,

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Contrary to some of the previous messages, if you are going to load heavy with a camper the front locker is actually much more important to take the pressure of your drive line and other components. I've seen a few twisted drive shafts on heavy rigs on some pretty basic obstacles. If you're going light it's less important. Less weight, exponentially less pressure on your driveline components, rev her up and get over the obstacle. With a 3k camper on back, less so. Momentum is not your friend.

Case in point, saw a fellow twist an axle on a dirt road after he pulled over for lunch. Rear wheel rolled over a 13" boulder with a divot behind it in reverse. $3k tow to Moab. Wheel was stuck. He tried to power out and turned his drive shaft. If you're loading just basic camping equipment you'll probably be fine without the front locker.

UglyViking

Well it depends on the question you asked. The rear axle did change, and the previous gears will not fit. The front axle is the same, and gears will fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal