2024 or 2025 GMC 2500 doublecab long bed (8'bed) 6.6 gas V-8, any reason i shouldn't get one?

Roktman

Well ive decided to go with the 8 foot three-quarter ton truck, to carry my soon to purchase either TUNE M-1 or HAITUS ,both pop up truck campers, i want to stay at about 75% of max at least , this will be a trip truck and trips to the lumber yard or mostly parked when home so MPG isnt a big thing for me with this truck, ive had ram1500's and ford f 150's and toyotas ,never had a chevy or GMC , but i like the double cab build ( alittle smaller second cab to help make up for the 8' bed) engine any good, 10 speed allison tranny a good one ? what would you get in my situation ?thanks guys

Little Big Lost

My setup is a Chev 3500 w FWC Grandy shell model. I'd urge you to go w the 3500 or 2500 w heavy tow pkg (essentially a 3500, w 2500 badging) for relatively few extra $$. The cheapest way to go is a Chev 2500 Custom w the HD trailering pkg.

The larger payload w a 3500 future proofs you somewhat in case you upgrade campers and/or decide to camp w a cargo trailer, or boat. If you choose a heavily optioned truck that eats payload as well.

The Chevy is going to ride better, Ford is going to give you a 48 gal gas tank vs 36 for GM. Ford will probably have a bigger payload on equally optioned trucks due to the aluminum body and perhaps more comfy seats. I would never buy a Ram. I have always found GM to be slightly less tiring to drive, but the Ford's and Ram have solid axles which are more HD than GM's independent front suspension.

Mine is a CC, w 8' bed which comes in at 22' so it does require a bit of planning and some u-turns take a few extra back and forth but well worth having the extra space. Neither the double cab or cc will fit in my garage so that is irrelevant in my case.

Happy to discuss further if you have any questions.

Roktman

Hey Little Big Lost, thanks for the info,I like what you said about your truck not fitting anyway I have the same issue 3 car garage one side workshop,one side our car, other side current truck won’t fit so workout, motorcycle and storage shelves lol,having never had a crew cab long bed what’s the reality of that thing in general turning parking etc. etc.maybe I’ll just get the “crew long bed” although they might penalize me and make me get a diesel ,those stinkers dealers probably spent a million bucks for super computer time to figure out how to not let you have what you want while charging you more, my total weight will probably be around 1500 lbs including camper, truck fluids ,people,gear,after market add ,plus I have a 7x12 cargo trailer I built out, 3300 lbs with 300 lb tongue weight to close or over for a 1500 or 150 size truck.. for me ,I’ll take a lot of reserve thank you

wirenut

Adventurer
I will second the recomendation to get the 3500. No reason not to really. The 10sp Allison in my '22 has been percect so far. I just had the fluud changed at 48,000 miles. Mine is a work truck and weighs about 12,000 pounds "empty". Loaded it's 14,000 or more. I don't have any problems with GM trucks so I keep buying them. My last one went to 307,000 before I sold it.
I don't know why people say the IFS is weak. I take my fully loaded work trucks to off road work sites all the time. I've never broken anything.

Little Big Lost

The reality is it's pretty long! I always park in the farthest place from the door no matter what I'm driving. One must drive a little wide left to make a right hand turn as well. My wife drove it some and it's nerve racking as hell, several times I had to scream "STOP" because seemingly the entire vehicle from behind her head doesn't even exist! We'll keep it highway only for her for a while to come. She had the same problems w a 20' van, but definitely got better w experience.

Like I mentioned fewer places to turn around on a forest road and more back and forth on a u turn. No problems in the desert, there is ample room to turn. I was an engine captain in the USFS so I'm used to multi point turn arounds and backing up in fire engines.

They are going to order your truck exactly as you want it, they can't force you to buy a diesel. GM does however place certain options in packages and/or trim levels that you must buy in order to get that one option. If you make up your mind you want LED headlights, painted bumpers, etc those packages add $$$ and cut payload quick.

View attachment IMG_3705.jpg

Last edited:

Roktman

The reality is it's pretty long! I always park in the farthest place from the door no matter what I'm driving. One must drive a little wide left to make a right hand turn as well. My wife drove it some and it's nerve racking as hell, several times I had to scream "STOP" because seemingly the entire vehicle from behind her head doesn't even exist! We'll keep it highway only for her for a while to come. She had the same problems w a 20' van, but definitely got better w experience.

Like I mentioned fewer places to turn around on a forest road and more back and forth on a u turn. No problems in the desert, there is ample room to turn. I was an engine captain in the USFS so I'm used to multi point turn arounds and backing up in fire engines.

They are going to order your truck exactly as you want it, they can't force you to buy a diesel. GM does however place certain options in packages and/or trim levels that you must buy in order to get that one option. If you make up your mind you want LED headlights, painted bumpers, etc those packages add $$$ and cut payload quick.

View attachment 841689
Yea , about those packages as I dig in I’m noticing that, trying to find that sweet spot between $$$ and getting what I want, BTW, what do know about after market leather seat covers, man I’ve always thought those dark brown leather seats you see on the King ranch models and such are so nice looking
t

I have never owned a GM truck so I will not address the that. I believe all the 3/4 ton truck are well made and good to go. I run a 3500 ram 4 door 8' bed 4X4. Like all things overlanding ,it is a compromise. I love the weight load, the load volume and the comfort. Dislikes: Turning radius, height, It is difficult to back a trailer(All my friends agree). I can't wheel it very hard, easy to high center.
My truck is a work style truck very basic, I decided to purchase a gas powered with lockers, geared for my use. Added Wet Oakley seat covers, Weather Tech floors, front bumper with winch, second battery, progressive lief springs, overhead rack.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Well ive decided to go with the 8 foot three-quarter ton truck, to carry my soon to purchase either TUNE M-1 or HAITUS ,both pop up truck campers, i want to stay at about 75% of max at least , this will be a trip truck and trips to the lumber yard or mostly parked when home so MPG isnt a big thing for me with this truck, ive had ram1500's and ford f 150's and toyotas ,never had a chevy or GMC , but i like the double cab build ( alittle smaller second cab to help make up for the 8' bed) engine any good, 10 speed allison tranny a good one ? what would you get in my situation ?thanks guys
What kind of camping are you going to be doing? Anything hard core offroad or more like gravel / forest roads?

Sold front axle or IFS, doesn't matter to me. My last two trucks have been IFS without issue. Tons of people off-roading Toyotas with IFS.

Maybe drive each truck to see how you like them.

I agree with above, there is no difference in size going from 2500 to 3500 so I'd go 3500.

Around here there seems to be way more 1 tons on lots than 3/4 tons. So here anyway, you'd have more selection to choose from going the 1 ton route.

Roktman

What kind of camping are you going to be doing? Anything hard core offroad or more like gravel / forest roads?

Sold front axle or IFS, doesn't matter to me. My last two trucks have been IFS without issue. Tons of people off-roading Toyotas with IFS.

Maybe drive each truck to see how you like them.

I agree with above, there is no difference in size going from 2500 to 3500 so I'd go 3500.

Around here there seems to be way more 1 tons on lots than 3/4 tons. So here anyway, you'd have more selection to choose from going the 1 ton route.
Camping, mostly blm camping sites, forest service roads, which can get a little ,interesting and mostly off grid, no hardcore 4x4 stuff, I don't use my trucks for that when I went to get way out I usually backpack or on my 500 EXC 😁 , I just want that 8 foot bed for the pop-up camper, I suspect most of the three-quarter and 1 ton vehicles are fairly well-made since they know the use they're going to be put to, but you're right it probably comes down to just driving a couple. I'm interested in.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Camping, mostly blm camping sites, forest service roads, which can get a little ,interesting and mostly off grid, no hardcore 4x4 stuff, I don't use my trucks for that when I went to get way out I usually backpack or on my 500 EXC 😁 , I just want that 8 foot bed for the pop-up camper, I suspect most of the three-quarter and 1 ton vehicles are fairly well-made since they know the use they're going to be put to, but you're right it probably comes down to just driving a couple. I'm interested in.
Yeah, for that type stuff, I'm sure the IFS in the GM's will be fine. Lots of people doing that with half tons, SUV's with IFS etc..

Might as well look at Ram's as well unless you're opposed to them since they only offer single or crew cabs.

Drive them all and see what kind of deal you can get.

Little Big Lost

Yea , about those packages as I dig in I’m noticing that, trying to find that sweet spot between $$$ and getting what I want, BTW, what do know about after market leather seat covers, man I’ve always thought those dark brown leather seats you see on the King ranch models and such are so nice looking
t
I don't use seat covers, but I had a white car w chestnut brown leather so I do like brown leather.

As far as value goes the LT was my sweet spot, ymmv. The LTZ was about 10k more, plus whatever options I needed to add. I didn't want leather, moon roof, heads up display, LED headlamps would have be nice but not worth buying all the other stuff that comes with it. The only thing I'm slightly regretful of was leaving out the center console. The only thing I added that hasn't worked out so far is the mirror w the screen. I have hopes the dealer can help me get that running.

I think the solid front axle is important if you tow heavy all the time, which I will never do; the IFS just rides much better, imo. A 3500 crew cab w a pop up camper is not the answer for off roading, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal