265/75/16 bfg all terrain with the E rating (2nd gen Taco)

whitetaco02

Observer
I am wondering if I messed up getting these tires that I have with the E rating. What do you all think? I preferrably would like to hear from the ones running bfg at's in a 265/75/16 tire but am willing to hear what you all think as well. I want this size and for me to get this size in this tire I had to get the E rated tire.

Well, I just did some research.

265/70/16 bfg at's weigh in at 49 lbs a piece

265/75/16 bfg at's weigh in at 54 lbs a piece

That is a 5lb difference which isn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I hear it is a 1mpg difference as well which I am not worried about. I am worried about the ride though!

Is the ride really that bad/worse/noticeable? Thanks you all!

obscurotron

Adventurer
I can't speak to THAT size, but I'm running 235/85/16's with an E rating and the ride is fine. I really don't notice a difference in on-road performance, though I do notice that I get a little more 'dig' (likely due to less sidewall deformation) with the E-rated tires.

whitetaco02

Observer
I have not been able to find that size in a D rating. I even checked their site.

I checked tirerack.com as they have specs to look at. It looks like once I put these on each tire will weigh 17 lbs more each compared to the rugged trails I have on now.

When you talk harsh, what do you mean? Please elaborate......

misterquad

I noticed the difference from Rugged Trails (P rated) to KOs (D rated) then to KM2s (E rated). Now, I am running Nittos 265/75R16 (D rated).

From Rugged Trail to KOs - I immediately noticed a heavier feel and more rolling resistance, like changing from tennis shoes to boots on my feet. They also felt firmer, less flex and more durable. A bit more road noise. I lost mpg, maybe 0.5 to 1 mpg at times.

From KOs to KM2 - Definitely stiffer, but seemed to roll smooth on smooth roads. Felt rough and very durable. Again, slightly if anymore road noise. I lost mpg again, another 1 to 1.5 mpg from the Rugged Trails.

From KM2s to Nittos, Smoother, quieter and much more comfortable, more flexible but still durable. I regained mpg back to Rugged Trails starting point.

With P rated, I kept waiting to get a flat, E rated were too tough and stiff for my choice and D rated are enough to give confidence and comfort.

Truthfully, I would have to say that Nittos (D rated) are the only set I would buy again.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I ran my 236/85 load E BFG AT's at 32 psi. They were fine for the first year or so then started to ride really rough. As the miles got on, they went out of round and were impossible to balance. I was told under inflated E rated do that because the sidewalls take a "set" when parked. Maybe, maybe not but they were rough as can be. Now I am on 265/75 load C and wouldn't have it any other way. I was worried about a thinner sidewall but when the shop was putting them on, I compared the new tires against the old and I couldn't tell the difference in thickness. Not scientific by any means, just used the pinching finger mike.

5Runner

Adventurer
I can't get scientific or anything, but I have those exact tires on my rig and will get another pair, but 285's next time.

I like the ride. I guess folks would probably say it rides rough when unloaded, but probably also because I have stiff suspension. I don't mind though. The tires are great off road and in the snow, both snow-bashing 4wheeling and city snow driving.

The load range E makes me feel better about deflated rock crawling. I have some nasty gashes in my sidewalls, but the tires are just fine.

I run about 35 psi on pavement and 16 psi on trails. Last time I filled I went to 40 psi to see if I got better MPG's on the long highway drive home. By the time we got home I had forgot to calculate the MPG's but the ride did seem rougher at 40 than I am used to at 35.

Hope that helps...for what it's worth.

whitetaco02

Observer
I ran my 236/85 load E BFG AT's at 32 psi. They were fine for the first year or so then started to ride really rough. As the miles got on, they went out of round and were impossible to balance. I was told under inflated E rated do that because the sidewalls take a "set" when parked. Maybe, maybe not but they were rough as can be. Now I am on 265/75 load C and wouldn't have it any other way. I was worried about a thinner sidewall but when the shop was putting them on, I compared the new tires against the old and I couldn't tell the difference in thickness. Not scientific by any means, just used the pinching finger mike.

They make a 265/75 bfg all terrain in a C rated tire?

deadbeat son

Explorer
If I "do" decide to keep these, what PSI do I need to run in them?

Ignore the max pressure listed on the sidewall and run the pressure recommended by Toyota. (It should be listed on a placard on your door jamb.) If you want to be more precise for your specific vehicle, you can always do the chalk test.

Don't worry about the E range tire. I ran them on my Range Rover with no issues.

slooowr6

Explorer
If I "do" decide to keep these, what PSI do I need to run in them?

If you are running a LT tire at the tire pressure recommended by Toyota. Most likely you are under inflated. LT tire needs more pressure to carry the same load. The best way is find the load/pressure chart for the OEM tire and see what the load capacity is at that pressure. After knowing the load capacity recommend by Toyota. Now find the new LT tire's load/pressure chart and find what's the pressure needed for the load capacity recommended by Toyota. Take my 06 Tacoma for an example, Toyota recommended 29psi. I've Nitto Terra Grappler 265/75 R16 load range D. For the same load capacity I need to run 35psi.

Lichen

Explorer
On my '97 Tacoma, I have BFG All-Terrains in 265/75/16 with load range D. I got them at Discount Tire. I run around 35 psi and they are great on and off road.

picture.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1