6.2l Ford?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
My 2005 Tacoma is getting to the point (75000 miles) that I am starting to consider another vehicle for my weekend "expeditions" and retiring the Taco with a Ute bed for Home Depot Duty...
I have been looking long and hard for a low mileage used 2005-2007 Ford Superduty with the V10...DON'T WANT DIESEL...I know you can all tell me I need a diesel but I just don't think my needs warrant an oil burner...
The search for the V10 has only turned up high mileage examples (99-03) and while the 5.4l is much more common...I am concerned with power after I add a FWC (The grand plan), put a dirtbike on the hitch, canoe on the top, etc... I have a GMC 3500 with the 5.7l Vortec (working girl) and the engine is anemic to say the least...does fine on dump runs and water hauling but there is no "get up and go"...
SO...since the V10 plan has turned up not much...I talked with the dealer yesterday about ordering a 6.2l Supercab Shortbed (XLT trim)...reasonable price when I consider what I paid for my Tacoma...38,000 before rebates...
My question is does anyone have experience with the 6.2l ford engine...I know they have been around in the Raptor and are now the gas option in the Superdutys...Gas mileage is not an issue...This will be a excursion only truck and not a DD...will sit in the garage with a FWC waiting for the weekends...
I really like my chevy but the IFS is my holdup in getting another 2500/3500 instead of a F250/350...
Thanks
Matt:ylsmoke:

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Are you not into the Dodges? The new 2500/3500 HD's are amazingly comfortable and well built inside compared to the fords, and the Hemi would be a good fit if you don't like diesel and it has the same power as the 6.2l ford.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I do like the new dodges...especially the power wagon (boo crew cab :()...The ford has a locking rear diff which I don't think is an option on the Dodges and I don't want a full crew cab...just an extended...always assume there is less aftermarket support for the dodge...I am probably wrong...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I was referring to the new power wagons as far as cab configuration...
I am looking for a wheelbase around 140" or less...with the F250 that means supercab shortbed or regular cab long bed (2011 141.8" or 137" respectively) ...The dodge crew cabs (non mega) are acutally shorter than I imagined (2011 148.9")...regular cab long bed dodge is right at 140.0".

Flagster

Expedition Leader
well I learned something new...thanks...that is sweet...have never seen a regular cab power wagon...
too much of reading posts now has me looking at CTDs...:confused:

Desert Drifter

Observer
IIRC Power Wagons do not have the CTD option. I drove a new Power Wagon prior to my F250 FX4 purchase. What is Dodge thinking with that giant hood? It blocks a good 200' in front of the truck. Not good for off road IMHO. I really had my heart set on a new PW. I do not want/need a diesel and the Hemi is an excellent engine with great power. Even tho the PW is not recommended for a slide in camper I know of a few with FWC Hawks that have no problems.

I even searched a couple months for a decent used PW with the older body style. No luck.

I've had my F250 for nearly 2 months. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!! The 6.2 has GOBS of power!!! Even after a 4" lift and 35" tires!!! The gears are 373.

I have Bushwacker pocket flares on order which will be painted to match. After the front locker, custom built skid plates and a 16.5 Warn winch I feel this truck will be just as capable as a PW if not more.

I do like the Super Cab of the Ford more than the Crew Cab of the Dodge. Just personal preference there.

Anyway, a big YES vote for Ford 6.2!!! :victory:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks...
My search is narrowed down to a last gen PW (2005-08) (not as much a fan of the new style) with low miles or a F250/350 just like Desert Drifters...
Like the out of the box ready to go aspects of the PW but the interior...:coffee:
The ford has the rear e locker option...better payload (although the FWC would do fine in the PW)...and this is kind of dumb but I think the boxy styling of the ford "fits" better with the look of the four wheel campers...stupid I know...

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I found a PW a year or so ago, '07 w/ 3k miles from Chrysler corporate, and had a Flippac, and now a Ute bed, and love the truck. The Quadcab is about the same as a Ford extended cab. And I have an '11 F250 diesel, gets 18mpg empty as long as <65mph. Power wise, the Ford and PW both have 400hp, but the Ford 800ft#- amazing!! My cousin has the 250 6.2 and loves it except the milage- and the PW 'ain't great' for sure, but 4.56s and 37s who would think it would? My PW is loaded with DVD, leather, etc and is fine room wise as the kids are 4 and 6. All that said, the 250 seems better sorted for whatever reason. The PW has had all the steering components replaced as well as the links to Thurens, and is near the same feel as the Ford out of the box. In the end, if you like to tinker and build the truck a bit, the PW is a hoot. If on the othe hand, you like to buy it, fit the camper, and just drive, the Ford is the way to go IMHO. Power and mileage is near the same, 6.2 vs. Hemi. Hope this helps- I don't 'need' both trucks per the financial adviser, but they both fill different niches- the PW is a JK Rubicon on steroids, and the Ford, well -an easy chair tourer...

CodyB

Observer
Nice looking truck. Does anyone know when the F250 with the 6.2L were first available with a rear locker?

KaiserM715

Adventurer
My dad had a V10 Excursion and loved it...
My question is does anyone have experience with the 6.2l ford engine...I know they have been around in the Raptor and are now the gas option in the Superdutys...Gas mileage is not an issue...
My experience will be slightly different, coming from the Raptor point of view. The two big differences between the two are camshafts (411hp / 434 lb-ft for the Raptor, 385 hp / 405 lb-ft for SD) and flex-fuel compatibility (SD has it, Raptor doesn't). The SD 6.2 supposedly makes more torque off of idle, but I haven't seen dyno curves for either engine. That being said, I have really enjoyed my 6.2. Plenty of power everywhere - highway passing (sometimes while hitting the speed limiter) is no issue. From what I can tell, everything on the engine is relatively easy to access with the exception of the interior set of spark plugs and that looks to be resolved by removing the intake tube to the throttle body. I have not driven an SD with the 6.2, so I cannot comment on the difference between the two trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal