6 speed manual vs automatic

ccrider

I have always liked a standard transmission. I am thinking about a new Tacoma and am interested in opinions of those driving 6 speeds and automatics as I might decide to go automatic transmission.
thanks
Chris

asteffes

Explorer
First, I wouldn't get too hung up on the debate between six gear ratios versus five. I tend to think all the hype about six and now even seven speed transmissions is just a silly marketing ploy. There is nothing wrong with a gearbox having five well-placed ratios. In fact, some times it is preferable to do less shifting.

Anyway, my '06 is an auto. One benefit to going automatic is you get a better tow package option. The automatic with tow package includes an external tranny fluid cooler, not just built into the radiator but an actual core completely seperate from the main radiator. All this allows a higher towing capacity than you can get with the manual, if that matters to you.

The auto is a shifty beast. It will shift around quite a bit in traffic but is pretty easy to control with your right foot. It also downshifts for you on steep grades, which is sort of cool. Conveniently, you can set it to whatever highest gear you want, as the shift lever has positions for each gear between 1 and 5. If it hunts too much for your taste, you can make 4th the maximum gear. Same with any other gear.

There's no clutch start cancel, so you can fire up the truck without having to get in to push the brake and clutch. Handy, but hardly a deal-breaker if you think you want the manual.

That's my $1.50.

Justin

Observer
My $.02 may be skewed as I don't even own an 05' or 06', however my father does and he opted for the auto which in my opinion was the better choice. Correct me if I am wrong, but the auto actually posts better 0-60 times than the manual...if that's of concern. I currently own a 5spd in an 04 and in retrospect I should have chosen the auto. The auto seems to apply and disengauge the power more smoothly and living in so-cal...we do alot of that. Also from my trail experience, the auto would have made more technical terrain less challenging in my opinion.

Back to the subject, I agree with what asteffes said about it being a marketing ploy, and yes, more gears is not always a better thing. Shifting can get old...Plus, as mentioned the addition of the tranny cooler is ideal for towing and the longevity of the transmission itself.

UncleChris

Adventurer
asteffes said:
The auto is a shifty beast. It will shift around quite a bit in traffic but is pretty easy to control with your right foot.

Haven't run into that with mine, but my driving conditions are different.

My first pickup(89 Silverado) felt like, shifted like and drove like a truck. It being in the midwest, it was cool. I also had a Suzuki that I did some wheelin' with and with the manual, was kind of jerky.

I originally bought my XJ with an Auto due to California traffic, and then started wheelin it. After wheelin with an auto, I think that is definitely the way to go. Many of my wheelin friends have autos.

I would much rather have a manual on a sportscar, but a would definitely recommend an auto in a truck.

As far as the 5 vs 6 goes, remember that you have more potential gearing at the low end with an auto with the torque converter.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got an 05 with the 6 speed; I had a 95.5 with a 5 speed (come to think of it, I've never owned a vehicle with an automatic). Personal preference I guess; I kind of wish I had bought the automatic this time as most of my driving seems to be around town. Maybe I'm just getting lazier as I get older too. :eek:

vanguard

Adventurer
asteffes said:
One benefit to going automatic is you get a better tow package option. The automatic with tow package includes an external tranny fluid cooler, not just built into the radiator but an actual core completely seperate from the main radiator. All this allows a higher towing capacity than you can get with the manual, if that matters to you.
Really? I always thought the auto came with the cooler because auto trannys needed it but manuals didn't. You're saying the auto is actually rated to tow more?

Scott Brady

Founder
6-Speed= More fun and challenge, better expedition option (durability)
Automatic= Better choice for trail and street

vanguard

Adventurer
asteffes said:
One benefit to going automatic is you get a better tow package option. The automatic with tow package includes an external tranny fluid cooler, not just built into the radiator but an actual core completely seperate from the main radiator. All this allows a higher towing capacity than you can get with the manual, if that matters to you.
I did some research and as far as I can tell the auto isn't rated any higher. It has a cooler because it needs it and the manual doesn't but it's not any more capable.

Both have the advantages that's for sure. I'd just pick whichever appeals to you more or if money is a factor the manual is cheaper.

flywgn

Explorer
vanguard said:
Really? I always thought the auto came with the cooler because auto trannys needed it but manuals didn't. You're saying the auto is actually rated to tow more?

I can't speak to the Tacoma regarding this question, but our '01 Xterra has the following rating for 4WD models:
Maximum Trailer wt for manual = 3500 lbs
Maximum Trailer wt for auto = 5000 lbs

Max tongue wt goes from 350 lbs on the M/T to 500 lbs on the A/T.

Combined wt rating goes from 8K lbs w/ M/T to 9.5K lbs on the A/T.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Worst case scenario you can always push start a manual.

Auto's will pull more and are "easier to drive" but are not as reliable due to all the parts and high heat build up.

In the end it is personal preference. I look at it like this. Daily Drivers are auto since it is easier to battle traffic with. All my "fun vehicles" are stick. Every hot rod since it is more fun and now my trail rig since it is a simpler device offering more options to limp home when things go bad.

asteffes

Explorer
flywgn said:
I can't speak to the Tacoma regarding this question, but our '01 Xterra has the following rating for 4WD models:
Maximum Trailer wt for manual = 3500 lbs
Maximum Trailer wt for auto = 5000 lbs

Max tongue wt goes from 350 lbs on the M/T to 500 lbs on the A/T.

Combined wt rating goes from 8K lbs w/ M/T to 9.5K lbs on the A/T.

The automatic Tacomas do indeed tow more than the manuals, if equipped with the Tow Package. A non-Tow package'd Tacoma will tow around 4000 pounds, while a V6/auto/tow package model with tow 6500 pounds. The tranny and engine oil coolers contribute to the increased capacity.

Remember that the automatic really benefits from a tranny cooler because the torque converter generates a lot of heat when it isn't fully locked. The manual has no torque converter to produce all that heat, and doesn't benefit so much from an external tranny cooler. Also, the 6-speed's clutch presumably isn't heavy enough to hold as heavy a load.

Now, if you really want towing capacity in a Toyota, look at the Tundra V8 or the 4Runner V8 automatic, which tows around 8000 pounds. :)

asteffes

Explorer
vanguard said:
I did some research and as far as I can tell the auto isn't rated any higher. It has a cooler because it needs it and the manual doesn't but it's not any more capable.

Both have the advantages that's for sure. I'd just pick whichever appeals to you more or if money is a factor the manual is cheaper.

The auto is rated higher if you get the tow package, as the external tranny cooler that package adds helps keep the torque converter cool. I don't believe the full-on tow package is available with the manual, only a tow hitch and possibly trailer light wiring. This package was, IIRC, a $300-something option on my '06. Very worthwhile.

The full tow package option includes hitch, wiring, brake controller pigtail harness, external tranny cooler (in addition to that built-in to the main radiator) and additional engine oil cooling. Keep in mind, my Taco will not tow like a Titan or SuperDuty, but all this tow package stuff will increase longevity if you're towing smaller or moderate loads. I wouldn't tow 6500 pounds all the time if I wanted my truck to last, which I do. However, I wouldn't be afraid of doing so now and then if I had to.

asteffes

Explorer
Oh, interesting. My mistake then. I thought one needed the auto to get the maximum towing capacity Tacoma.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Nullifier said:
Worst case scenario you can always push start a manual.

Auto's will pull more and are "easier to drive" but are not as reliable due to all the parts and high heat build up.

In the end it is personal preference. I look at it like this. Daily Drivers are auto since it is easier to battle traffic with. All my "fun vehicles" are stick. Every hot rod since it is more fun and now my trail rig since it is a simpler device offering more options to limp home when things go bad.

I agree!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh