Clutch

<---Pass
Possibilities look endless.

https://8020.net/

IMG_2104.png

FB2_Emergency_SUV_3.png

OCD Overland

Explorer
I built my roof rack out their stuff. Rather I should say I overbuilt it. Their extrusions are heavier than you think.

It can get expensive too. All those connectors add up. Still, all you need is a miter saw and a hex wrench and you can make whatever you want.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I was going to use it to make a roof rack, broke down and got a frontrunner. It's cool stuff, not cheap though. 15 series is .86 cents per foot from 80/20.
But.....
If you buy from 80/20 on AMAZON, it's about .26 per foot FOR THE SAME FREAKING THING. How does that make sense????

Clutch

<---Pass
I built my roof rack out their stuff. Rather I should say I overbuilt it. Their extrusions are heavier than you think.

It can get expensive too. All those connectors add up. Still, all you need is a miter saw and a hex wrench and you can make whatever you want.

I was looking at their Quickframe stock..looks fairly lightweight compared to their other extrusions.

http://www.hpeco.com/products/80-20-quick-frame

Wonder if those nylon fittings would rattle apart in a vehicle? either epoxy it, run a setscrew or perhaps a rivet through it.

I was going to use it to make a roof rack, broke down and got a frontrunner. It's cool stuff, not cheap though. 15 series is .86 cents per foot from 80/20.
But.....
If you buy from 80/20 on AMAZON, it's about .26 per foot FOR THE SAME FREAKING THING. How does that make sense????

Ha!

OCD Overland

Explorer
I might use the quick frame stuff for interior use, but I don't know if I'd trust it for a roof rack.

I think it can be cost effective if you keep things simple, and reduce the number of hardware pieces to the minimum. That's what actually gets expensive - depending on the design, the extrusions themselves may be only half your cost.

This is the rack that I built for the X5 - I needed something half-width to work with the sky box and that would also fit my hardigg cases, so for me the 80/20 stuff made a lot of sense. Still, I built it out of 1x3 pieces which are far stronger than I needed. Structurally, 1x1's would have been fine, though the 1x3's do give me secure sides to keep the boxes in place.

IMG_0303_zpsba6l8lnc.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I might use the quick frame stuff for interior use, but I don't know if I'd trust it for a roof rack.

I was thinking for interior cabinets, (for AT's new Tacoma Habitat) or Flip Pac) looks like they have some neat color panel inserts, which could be fun.

Though, in a pickup you would loose a little bit of storage space since everything is at a 90º angle. I would used the inner bed side as part of the cabinet if you built the cabinets out of ply, if that makes sense.

Is Goosegear using this system? It looks like it.

http://www.goose-gear.com/collections/goose-gear-modules

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Cole on this forum built out his sprinter's interior using 80/20 and is a good example of what you can do. I'll try to find a link to his build...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Cole on this forum built out his sprinter's interior using 80/20 and is a good example of what you can do. I'll try to find a link to his build...

Here it is - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...****-did-I-just-fly-to-Maine-to-by-a-Sprinter!

He found his 80/20 locally as surplus - since it is extremely re-usable its worth looking out for it being sold off by a business etc.

javajoe79

Fabricator
My shopmate has piles of this stuff. Let me know if you're interested in some. He wants to sell it but never tries to.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have used bosch extrusions in an industrial application. One issue besides the expense is that the hardware (nuts and bolts) far exceed the strength and hardness of the aluminum material. You can easily crush the aluminum by over tightening the hardware. When subjected to constant vibration, the bolts will loosen up. You have to constantly tighten the hardware which can lead to over-tightening and failure.

ab1985

Explorer
You can buy surplus Quick Frame from 80/20's eBay store at reasonable prices. I have a box sitting in my garage that I'm going to use to redo my interior when I get around to it. I plan to use a combination of Quick Frame, 1/4" plywood for the sides, and 1/2" plywood for the top. Their panels are pretty expensive and after speaking to the rep I couldn't find anything in my price range that I could sit or stand on which is integral for my application. I roughed out a design that would minimize long, unsupported spans of square tube and plan on running a screw or rivet through the nylon connectors. Of course, this has all been "the plan" for several months now and coincidentally no actual progress has been made.:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal