90 4runner lift questions?

idaxj97

Adventurer
Ok so Im currently trying to plan out the lift for my 1990 4runner. I do know I want OME because of the reputation they have. Now I know I want to run the 33 1050 15's that were on my old jeep so I was thinking of a 1.5" ball joint spacer OME shocks and what ever OME coils that net me the height to run the 33's. Would I need to get the OME Torsion bars? I do plan on adding a ARB bull bar with a 8k winch w synthetic rope. Any and all ideas as always are welcomed.

86tuning

Adventurer
Clearing 33s will always require some bodywork. In your case, 33x10 will only require minor dolly work, nothing major.

Beating back the pinch weld in the front wheel well is the biggest improvement for clearance.

4runnerteq

Explorer
OME springs & shocks in the rear,ome shocks up front. I had a 91 with them & cranked the bars in the front. Havent had experience with the ball joint spacers-there was just something about em I didnt trust-me personally I think I wld use OME torsion bars rather than spacers, but again,no experience with spacers. Ran 31 10.50s

Clay

Adventurer
I'm running cranked torsion bars and 1.5" spacers in the rear with 33x12.5x15's and no rubbing. I hope to swap out the spacers for OME springs soon, I think it'll be just right. Skinnier tires should be fine.

Wildcat

Adventurer
if you are getting nose dive when stopping, i would go ahead and get the torsion bars. on my 95, i only did bj spacers and ome 901's with 31x10.50. no rubbing. it rides good but i get a little nose dive when stopping. you will definitely need longer brake lines and probably a drop bracket for your rear panhard bar. i get vibes at @ 65mph.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have a 2" body ( make room for a drivetrain lift and flat belly ) on my 92 and clear 33x10.50 with no problems , I ran them for a week without the lift with only minor rubbing at full turn , beat the pinch weld and you'll be fine

idaxj97

Adventurer
Awsome thanks everyone for their help and input. Im glad I came to the dark side know as toyota.:victory:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I run 33x10.50x15 BFG AT's on my 94 pickup. I have OME shocks on the front and rear and aftermarket springs on the rear. Also, I'm running SDORI BJ spacers on the front. Haven't switched to the ARB torsion bars yet, but plan on it since my stock ones are now 19 years old. If I were planning on adding a winch I would definitely upgrade the torsion bars beforehand as I already have some sagging on the front after a t-bar crank. They're old so...

I didn't have to trim anything or flatten the pinch weld. I have very minor rubbing at full lock either direction, but I don't do any sort of hardcore wheeling so it doesn't concern me.

Oh, and I've seen 4Rescue's 4Runner in person and it actually sits very level, it's just that photo that makes it look lower in the rear. In fact, I think it actually sat a little higher in the rear.

Here's my truck before with stock suspension and 31x10.50x15's:

And as it sits as of today 12/29. IF you look real close you can see the front sits a little lower than the rear:

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
This 4runner is running 33x10.5 BFGs with no lift. Just flattened the pinch weld in the front, and it doesn't rub. 3 minute job tops.

ry%3D400

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Northernwoodsman do the trucks sit higher than the 4runners or are they the same platform.

I don't think the trucks of this generation sit any higher than the 4Runners from what I have seen and they both seem to sag a lot in the rear ends. They do share a similar platform with a lot of interchangeable bits and pieces from drivetrain, to body panels, to interior to suspension. The front suspension on the trucks and 4Runners is the same (the same IFS setup, torsion bars, hubs, etc.), but the rear suspension is different (leafs on the trucks vs springs on the 4Runners). However, the 4Runners can be converted to rear leafsprings as 4Rescue is doing to his new 4Runner currently, along with his diesel swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1