96 E350 Interior engine cover broken

ClubWagon

Observer
I'm still pretty new around here. I have a 96 E350 Club Wagon EB I have for about 7 years. Depending on time and funding in the next couple of months I will hopefully be getting started on a 6" ujoint conversion. Anyway that's for another thread. The interior engine cowl/cover on van now is basically falling apart. I would like to replace it with one out of a newer van so I could actually have a couple useful cup holders and maybe some small storage area. I know the dash changed in 97?? and again in 09 or 10?? Not exactly sure of those dates. So I with that said wasn't sure if any of the newer covers would fit my 96. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The newer covers won't fit your van because of the floor cut, I don't know of many good options. Maybe look for some RV style consoles that can bolt up to a stock dog house?

ClubWagon

Observer
Thanks for the info Chris! I've thought about just trying to modify the cover I have now. So maybe I'll just see what I can do that way.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Long time ago, I found something like this, but made of wood, and screwed it to the front of the doghouse of a '68 Chevy van. Loved it. I've done it several times since then on various different vans.

25984508_bee_221055918_pri_larg.jpg

I've even gone so far as to combine both a top mounted "drink tray" with a face mounted "cup holder" (like above) to be able to have 4 cup holders. Not that I needed 4 cup holders, but to have the extra storage space for handy bits and pieces.

ford_82-91_drink_tray_oak.jpg

Also if you are going to fix/replace your doghouse cover, I would strongly suggest removing the fiberglass insulation and instead lining it with Dynamat or some other such insulating/sound deadening stuff. Make a BIG difference.

86scotty

Cynic
Do you mean the doghouse cover (that covers the engine) or the tray/cupholder/console that clips to it? If the latter you have more options. I have seen a pre 97 van (which I have too) with a new style console in a for sale ad somewhere awhile back, but I didn't save it and hate that I can't find it now. I really want to mod a new one to fit mine. All of the consoles can be found on Ebay regularly. There was a 96 on there a few days ago but looks like it's gone now.

For your reference, 92-96 fits your van. There are 2 styles that I've seen, a simple plastic bin and a fold down nice one with cup holders and organizers, etc. I have one of these. They are REALLY rare!

97-07 or so are different and won't fit right up. There are a few different styles, from simple bins to ones with 4-5 cup holders.

In 08 or so they went with the newest style, which will also fit the vans back to 97 but not older. I have seen one modified to fit and will be trying this myself as soon as I find a cheap one to hack up.

ClubWagon

Observer
Yeah I didn't realize that that it was actually two pieces. The doghouse cover itself is okay. It's just the storage area/cup holder that's broken. I'm assuming that it was the flip down type that 86scotty said. When I bought the van you could tell that something was missing but I wasn't sure what it was. I might see if I can make something like dwh said or try the route of trying to attach a newer style to the my doghouse. Also doing sound sound deadening on the doghouse is a good idea too. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the ideas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1