99 GEN 2.5 / No coolant in over flow ???

mk75

Adventurer
Expo,

So yesterday days ago I stopped and grabbed a coffee and gas. I was parked for about 10 minutes making phone calls and decided to get out and check my oil and look to my right and the coolant reservoir is bone dry more or less. So I pulled some 50/50 out of the back and filled to the full line. Drove the Montero for the rest of the day and last night. Get up this morning to check my pencil mark on the bottle and its bone dry again ???? Does anyone have any ideas ? I cant find leaks with hoses. Maybe coolant is escaping via the weep hole on the water pump ? Thermostat bad ?

Radiator is full to cap and cap is pretty new.
No coolant in oil.
No smoke at start or after being warmed up
No codes.

Last edited:

TheMole

Adventurer
I had a similar issue where I was losing coolant in the reservoir due to a leaking heater core, but it was gradual over a few weeks. Could be a few things.

-Does it smell of coolant in the engine bay after a drive? Might be a leak somewhere in the system radiator, hoses, etc.
-Reservoir cracked? Pretty easy to slide out and inspect.

earljuic3

Adventurer
Dealing with a similar issue now on my gen 3. It's not that drastic as it sounds like yours is but mine I finally discovered is leaking at the rear heater under the third row seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacS14

Adventurer
Check your radiator, over time they will develop leaks. Look for green rust spots and bubbling black paint. It is relatively easy to repair with a torch and older like you would solder copper water lines. Then just clean it up and paint again for rust protection.

The hardest part is that you might have to remove the radiator to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1