adding camper shell roof rack

bac0701

Observer
i just bought another shell for my truck used. ill post some pics later tonight of my rig. i wanted to add a rack ontop so i can put my surf rods up there. i was wondering what racks do you guys like thule or yamika, who much do they run? im going to try finding a used set but i think its going to be hard to find the right model

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm running a Yakima Rail Rider setup on my camper shell. I bought it through a bike shop where my brother used to work so I got a good deal on it. You can check Craig's List for used ones but watch out for rusty rails, water gets in them and they rust sometimes. I went with the 66" bars so I could carry two canoes up top.

Nullifier, who is a member here, is a stocking dealer and IIRC gives/used to give a discount to ExPo members.

njtaco

Explorer
Outside the box, or Cheap, Cheap, Cheap...

Just for your surf rods?

The rack on my cap on my Tacoma is a salvage yard find. $25 bought me rails and crossbars that slide from a late 90's-ish Ford Explorer. I would think that could hold any common surf-rod-holding-accessories. A few bucks for stainless screws, washers, nuts, and sealer and I'm in business. If I ever want to upgrade to Thule or Yakima bars, I'll find the hardware for the original Ford application, and still be in good shape. I think I used 5-6 fasteners per side through the cap.

YMMV...

bac0701

Observer
thanks for the info guys.. hoping to get a good deal on craigslist for a yamika rack just waiting to here from the guy..and its not just going to be used for rods. all my surf rods are 1pc 10ft and 11fters, cant jam them in the cap. its also going to be used for snowboards/skis, and lots of surfboards..id like get a rtt but i doubt that would ever happen. i built a sweet little canback look alike but i needed the security with carrying a bunch of surfboards/snowboards/ and fishing gear.. going to make the inside a little more roomy put some ammo cans etc. id like to put some aux lights. keeping it simple because i think its going to be bought back by toyota by the end of next winter. it already has a hole, theres picks on ttora im surfnj.. still havent gotten around to pics but theyre coming :smiley_drive:

bac0701

Observer
bought racks today, 15 bucks for full yamika racks, i just need to but the launch pad to fit them on the cap. stoked i got them for so cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1