Adventure basecamp build

SeekingAdv

I just acquired an ATC enclosed trailer and want to build it up to handle rougher terrain. My goal is to eventually take it on the Dempster highway up to Tuktoyaktuk and to also handle typical USFS roads. It's too big for serious off-roading, but I would like it to handle long stretches of dirt / gravel / frost heaves comfortably. The truck also has a 4WC Grandby on the bed, so we have the option to drop the trailer and explore further in a more compact configuration.

trailer.jpeg

Current specifications:
  • 22' box, 26' overall length, unladen weight 4,800 lbs
  • GVWR 9,900 lbs - I don't expect to load it beyond 8,000 lbs
  • Tandem 5,200 Dexter Torflex axles
  • Axles were configured for 3" rise above standard from factory, and previous owner added another 3" with a spacer beam
  • 15" wheels with ST225/75R15 tires
  • Current ground clearance is just over 11"
Wheel / tire upgrade:
  1. I have enough clearance to go up to a 16" wheel. Would this Dextar steel wheel be a good option? I believe steel wheels are preferable to aluminum wheels for resisting damage.
  2. The trailer is already 8.5' wide at the tires. Even though it's tempting to get a wider wheel with a negative offset, I'd like to keep the trailer as narrow as possible.
  3. I want to get the largest tire possible to increase the ground clearance.
  4. I spent a lot of time researching LT v/s ST tires. I am leaning toward getting Goodyear Endurancetires in 235/80R16 size because:
    • It's the largest diameter tire that will fit without the tandem tires getting too close to each other. I will have 2.2" space between the tires with this size. The next size up 235/85R16 will only have 1.2" clearance. The ground clearance will go up to about 12.5".
    • These tires are rated for up to 87 MPH instead of the usual 65 MPH for most trailer tires
    • It has a high load index that will give me plenty of safety margin. At the maximum 80 PSI, 4 tires will have a capacity of 3,417 x 4 = 13,668 lbs. At slow speeds on rough roads, I could air down to 35 PSI and still be within the load range of the tires (2,090 x 4).
    • LT tires might be more puncture resistant, but I think the ability to safely run lower pressure with the ST tire will be more valuable.
Suspension upgrade:
  1. The torsion axle really limits what I can do to the suspension. I am considering adding some hooks to allow using a chain to support the axle in case of a failure. I would like to be able to limp home to a mechanic instead of being stuck on the side of a road. I would appreaciate any feedback / ideas to implement this.
  2. The next option, which is much more expensive, is to replace the torsion axles with a shock absorber / leaf spring set-up. I am hesitant to do this because of the cost, and also because the current axles seem to be in good shape.
I will post updates in this thread to document my build over the next few months. Next in line are: electrical (solar panels), plumbing, and comfort features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1