An Off-road Capable Delica Camper To Hit North America in a Few Years

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This is certainly exciting news for van fans who are looking for something smaller and mpg friendly …the compact and well designed Mitsu Delica should start hitting our shores in a few years. It’ll be a PHEV camper allegedly capable of serious back roading adventure travel!

So it looks like we’re heading from this:
IMG_4905.jpeg

To something lime this by 2030!
IMG_4904.jpeg
Read on:

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
(From that article ⬆️)

If there’s one thing American overland enthusiasts love, it’s the MitsubishiDelica. You can keep all of your Sprinters, and the NV’s just absurd — the Delica is the apple of our collective eyes. Yet, with registrations of imported JDM vans at risk from local governments, Mitsubishi is finally stepping up with a solution: Bringing an overland Delica to the United States.

We’ve gotten Mitsubishi’s coolest van stateside before, decades ago, but now it seems Nissan* has plans to give us a fully off-road-ready variant — just in time for the overland market to get truly saturated. Automotive News spoke with Mitsubishi representatives, who confirmed the van’s return:

The passenger van will arrive toward the decade’s end, according to a dealer who asked not to be identified sharing information from the internal meeting.
The van, one of two outdoorsy models coming this decade, is based on the D:X Concept, a futuristic-looking six-seater plug-in hybrid revealed at the Japan Mobility Show last year.
Mitsubishi has described the concept as having the roomy cabin space of a multipurpose vehicle, the road handling of an SUV and the driving performance of a PHEV.

*while Nissan Renault owns about a 33% stake in Mitsubishi, the language in this article may seem abit confusing to be quoting Nissan. But Mitsu’s resurgence in recent years is will continue to grow with the this Outlander PHEV, co-developed with fellow Japanese partner Nissan (which development partnership began @ 2018). This corporate combo is planning new powertrains and vehicles being introduced, new dealerships being opened, and new technologies being developed in coming years, all of which could also re-invigorate the stagnant Nissan badge.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm 100% on board for this, I just know that it is always surprisingly difficult to get new models into the US market. I'm also not sure if the Delica is sized such that it falls into the Chicken Tax segment. (If it's small enough and passenger only, maybe not?)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’d love to consider one of these to replace the tiny Promaster City we got @ a month ago…if I’m still around by the time these come out 😬

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm 100% on board for this, I just know that it is always surprisingly difficult to get new models into the US market. I'm also not sure if the Delica is sized such that it falls into the Chicken Tax segment. (If it's small enough and passenger only, maybe not?)
Just following up, because I was curious where the line is drawn with regards to the chicken tax... I didn't get a full answer, but it sounds like passenger vehicles aren't included - this is why the 1st gen Transit Connects all arrived in the US as passenger models and then were re-converted to cargo vans once stateside.

Nevertheless, it looks like most, if not all, of the popular "minivan" sized offerings on sale in the USA are made in North America. The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are assembled in the US, the Ram Promaster in Mexico, the Chrysler Pacifica in Canada, etc.
Only one of that segment that seems to be built in Japan is the Nissan NV200 - which apparently has been sold in other markets rebadged as a Mitsubishi Delica D:3, which while it shared a name, does not seem to have any of the same mechanicals as other Delicas.

Makes me wonder what we're really going to get here - will it be the Delica that shares a lot of platform hardware with the Pajero, etc., or something like an NV200 with a bunch of Overland stuff bolted on?

rruff

Explorer
Makes me wonder what we're really going to get here - will it be the Delica that shares a lot of platform hardware with the Pajero, etc., or something like an NV200 with a bunch of Overland stuff bolted on?
No!!! It's going to look exactly like that artist rendering... 🤪
:unsure:

And it will be fusion powered... ok maybe PHEV to start, but definitely fusion by 2050...

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist

I have read and watched a few videos from Mitsubishis dealer convention last week regarding to this news of their "Momentum 2030" initiative/timeline. What most don't realize Mitsubishi has profited year over fiscal year for the past 10 years and has chipped on some market share. I get that their North American lineup isn't the most exciting, but their lineup is budget friendly and reliable and consumers have bought them. The new Outlander has been nothing short of a success for Mitsubishi, and their PHEV version which was available this year has been selling like hotcakes. My local Mitsu dealer I go to for my parts since 1999 has told me the PHEV models are sold before they arrive.

Back to the subject, it looks like Mitsubishi is going to use Nissan logistical advantage in regards to their new models coming out till 2030. They talked about producing a "1 ton" pickup truck at Nissan's Mexico plant to sell here in the U.S market. This makes sense since they said they are going to offer 2 new models in 2 segments that they don't currently compete here in the U.S. market. So the planned 1 ton pickup truck and this "D:X" Delica fall into that statement since they don't have neither a truck or van in their U.S. lineup.

They are either going to import the new Delica like the Outlander OR they are going to assemble them in the Nissan Mexico assembly plant. Either or for Mitsubishi to offer a Delica here in the U.S market is outstanding news for consumers and for Mitsubishi. The whole "off road" craze between most of the manufacturers has been good for the consumer, but between trucks and SUVs, its a saturated market of offerings. Mitsubishi offering a "off road" MPV Van that is off road capable would position themselves to set the standard for any future offerings in the future if other manufacturers like Toyota wanted to compete.

Mitsubishi has been pretty irrelevant for years and many have said they need something that stands out apart from the crowd to gain attention. Trucks, SUVS, CUVs are flooded with different options in the U.S market. Sedans are no longer the prime seller, as long standing models are being discontinued like the recent Subaru Legacy. Mini Vans have always been consistent sellers BUT have always been targeted to a specific market of growing families. Selling a Delica would make complete sense and check all the boxes that Mitsubishi needs to become relevant again:

1. Offering a mini van that consistently sells for families / businesses
  2. Less market competition compared to SUVs & CUVs (Their only competition would be Sienna/Odyssey/Carnival/Pacifica)
  3. No other minivan would be truly off road capable (The closest would be the Sienna Woodland edition)
  4. Consumer interest (If marketed correctly...a Delica would get consumers to the Mitsubishi showrooms as a gateway to their vehicle lineup offerings)
As early as 2nd half of 2025 Mitsubishi is going to releasing a "off road" package Outlander which will most likely have higher ground clearance, accessories, wheel and tire package and maybe drivetrain upgrades. The replacement for the current Mirage will probably be the X-Force (probably renamed the Mirage for the U.S market) which they released last year in Asian markets. We know about the Delica and a 1 ton pickup truck. As for the other models they didn't talk much about, only that they are going to have 7 new models out by 2030 which was teased in a photo below.
line-up-teaser-38-6647757ccb6ad.jpg

From what has been speculated on the internet:
  1. Center vehicle / (D:X) Delica
  2. Front left / "Off Road package" Outlander
  3. Front right / Ralliart Outlander (Performance Outlander with higher output EV motors)
  4. Right rear of the Delica / would be the X-Force (Replacement of the Mirage)
  5. Right rear of the Delica / ????
  6. Back left / Montero
  7. Back right / Montero Sport

The other good news Mitsubishi is going the same route as Toyota by no totally abandoning ICE powerplants. Other than EV and Plug in Hybrids...Mitsubishi is still going to develop new ICE powerplants using new technology. This shows that Mitsubishi is committed to the U.S market as they also looking to increase their dealer network footprint and update current dealers.

Last edited:

MontySquareo

the only problem with introducing a new off-road minivan is it's not as cool as a truck (that people use as a minivan) and it doesn't get the mpg of a minivan

i would consider buying a new delica if it can do what a BMW x5 can. the x5 came with a diesel and has good power and good economy and with some trimming 33s fit

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
the only problem with introducing a new off-road minivan is it's not as cool as a truck (that people use as a minivan) and it doesn't get the mpg of a minivan

i would consider buying a new delica if it can do what a BMW x5 can. the x5 came with a diesel and has good power and good economy and with some trimming 33s fit
Well it won't be diesel...its going to be either a Plug in Hybrid / Hybrid or EV (or multiple offerings) I am sure with either powertrain they decide it will have pretty good MPG/Range. I would trust Mitsubishis PHEV technology right up there with Toyotas Hybrid system. This is one of the main reasons Nissan wanted Mitsubishi as part of their alliance is because of their PHEV reliability and performance.

Mitsubishi and Nissan are in the works on building a 1 ton pickup truck in their Mexico assembly plant and this was a talking point on last weeks Dealers meeting. The new Triton / L200 overseas is a classed as a 1 ton pickup. Nissan gave Mitsubishi the lead to design and engineer the new Triton/L200 chassis from the ground up to use as their global platform, which Nissan will use for their next Navara. The Nissan Frontier D40 chassis is only a North American chassis and not used for any of Nissans global platform.

The rumor is that this new pickup is planned for the 2027 model year or sooner. So this could possible be the Mitsubishi Triton / L200, or if Mitsubishi really wanted to be cool and stand out, bring back the Mighty Max name which was the L200/Triton chassis in the 80s for the U.S market. This would also make sense also because Nissan didn't have much success with the Titan which they discontinued recently. They could reintroduce the Titan name or just call it the Navara like in other world markets and it would allow them to have a 1 ton pickup in their lineup and something bigger than the Frontier. Another thing this would help Nissan financially because Mitsubishi already built the platform...they would just have to install "Nissan" guts.

2024-mitsubishi-triton-revealed-should-it-come-to-america.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

Steering wheel is on the wrong side! Or, is this a Mail truck?

It probably won't be as popular as the Ridgeline, another small truck body or a car frame, now, if you can have it super sized for a thousand more bucks......maybe.

I'd go for that Delica! I've seen 4 of these older vans here in town, one guy wanted $18,000 for an older one that even looked rough, we kept on driving......

When I came to this site I followed Herbie and his Astro, I even bought an AWD Safari and had fun with it, great little vans. Too bad, it just got too old and had to retire it.

I doubt I'll be "overlanding" in wicked wild remote terrain in 6 more years.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist

Steering wheel is on the wrong side! Or, is this a Mail truck?

It probably won't be as popular as the Ridgeline, another small truck body or a car frame, now, if you can have it super sized for a thousand more bucks......maybe.

I'd go for that Delica! I've seen 4 of these older vans here in town, one guy wanted $18,000 for an older one that even looked rough, we kept on driving......

When I came to this site I followed Herbie and his Astro, I even bought an AWD Safari and had fun with it, great little vans. Too bad, it just got too old and had to retire it.

I doubt I'll be "overlanding" in wicked wild remote terrain in 6 more years.
The new Triton/L200 is only available in other world markets. So in their eyes...the steering wheel is on the correct side.

If you read my last post...its a 1 ton class pick up truck so its bigger than a Ridgeline and they are body on frame.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The new Triton/L200 is only available in other world markets. So in their eyes...the steering wheel is on the correct side.

If you read my last post...its a 1 ton class pick up truck so its bigger than a Ridgeline and they are body on frame.
I did read it, but saying 1 ton didn't register as body on frame.

Actually, I kinda feel like we in the U.S. might have it backwards on left hand drives, I think a head on collision where the left front quarters of two cars collide would be safer being righthand drives.

However, I believe on planet earth right hand drive is more popular.....

Last edited:

MontySquareo

Well it won't be diesel...its going to be either a Plug in Hybrid / Hybrid or EV (or multiple offerings) I am sure with either powertrain they decide it will have pretty good MPG/Range. I would trust Mitsubishis PHEV technology right up there with Toyotas Hybrid system. This is one of the main reasons Nissan wanted Mitsubishi as part of their alliance is because of their PHEV reliability and performance.

Mitsubishi and Nissan are in the works on building a 1 ton pickup truck in their Mexico assembly plant and this was a talking point on last weeks Dealers meeting. The new Triton / L200 overseas is a classed as a 1 ton pickup. Nissan gave Mitsubishi the lead to design and engineer the new Triton/L200 chassis from the ground up to use as their global platform, which Nissan will use for their next Navara. The Nissan Frontier D40 chassis is only a North American chassis and not used for any of Nissans global platform.

The rumor is that this new pickup is planned for the 2027 model year or sooner. So this could possible be the Mitsubishi Triton / L200, or if Mitsubishi really wanted to be cool and stand out, bring back the Mighty Max name which was the L200/Triton chassis in the 80s for the U.S market. This would also make sense also because Nissan didn't have much success with the Titan which they discontinued recently. They could reintroduce the Titan name or just call it the Navara like in other world markets and it would allow them to have a 1 ton pickup in their lineup and something bigger than the Frontier. Another thing this would help Nissan financially because Mitsubishi already built the platform...they would just have to install "Nissan" guts.

if they brought back the mighty max (under the mitsubishi name) and gave it some rally goodies like nice shocks then it would probably sell decent. probably not as good as the tundra/tacomas even if it was a better truck

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
if they brought back the mighty max (under the mitsubishi name) and gave it some rally goodies like nice shocks then it would probably sell decent. probably not as good as the tundra/tacomas even if it was a better truck
Maybe...but Toyota is currently having its issues with both the Tundra and new Tacoma.

The Tundra new 3.4 i-force turbo v6 (same motor in the new GX) is having alot of failures being reported in the past several months with main bearing failures. Which is leading to a lot of questions on the reliability and longevity of these motors. This doubt is also carrying over to the new turbo 4 cyl in the new Tacoma and Land Cruisers as well.

The new Tacomas significantly higher prices are not selling at all and dealers are already offering discounts. The current state of the economy and interest rates aren't helping with the sales. The trims that consumers really want like the TRD Pro or the Trail Hunter that are $65k plus is a hard sell, especially if you add the doubt of how reliable are the new powerplants.

Like I mentioned, Mitsubishi has always been a value brand, and even with their new direction with upscaling the quality the consumer isn't sacrificing too much which the new Outlander has been a prime example. I don't think their goal is to outsell the Tacoma or Tundra (Whichever segment their planned truck to sell falls under), I think their goal is to offer another option that is still very capable, reliable, and price competitive / value to the consumer where there is a high demand by North American consumers for pickup trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk