Anyone ever bought a series 100 sight unseen?

(beans)

Observer
Hi everyone,

I'm on the verge of selling my prized Jeep JK. After realizing that I'd rather have a vehicle that took us to new experiences and adventures, rather than the act of sitting in the jeep being the whole adventure, I focused on finding the perfect series 100. Its a big step up and a whole lot more vehicle, and had been my unattainable dream truck for a long time!

My question is this: I think I've found a few candidates...but they're spread all over the country and I have no way of confirming if they smell like dead donkeys, are rusted straight through from road salt or bashing through the surf...or were built up by someone on the wrong meds.

SO, have any of you ever taken a leap of faith and bought a 100 sight unseen (other than interweb pics and descriptions)? I know that I'm entering into the world of Toyota, and that their engineers can actually add and measure, and that I shouldn't ever have any problems...but what if thats all brainwashing and marketing hype?

Is there a way to get a trusted source to look at these trucks?

Any and all advice on this type of situation or a personal story would be greatly appreciated!

(and I'd put this type of thing in that thread on mud too, but I dont want to give away my finds before I get a crack them)

Moody

Needs to get out more
I've gone and looked at some trucks for people in the past, I'm sure others would be willing as well.

I bought my 80 sight unseen. It was the best truck I have ever owned.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Well I can't say that I've ever bought a 100 sight unseen but I did buy a vehicle that way and will NEVER do so again. It was an expensive and unsatisfying experience.

Many of the questions I asked beforehand could be answered subjectively and it turns out the seller and I had very different standards as to what constituted safe to operate.

I might be persuaded to consider doing so in a situation where it is quite clear that I will personally inspect before funds trade hands beyond a minimal good faith deposit.

You might also consider contacting a local (to the seller) dealer and asking about the cost of buying an hour or two of diagnostic time at your expense and making your offer contingent on a satisfactory inspection, just like you'd do on a house.

Seriously, for the amount of money you're likely talking, the investment of a cheap plane/train ticket or a tank or two of gas is relatively cheap.

Obviously, YMMV.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I bought my 80 sight unseen. What I did was post up on ih8mud and included location and asked if anyone could take a loot at it for me. A great guy went and looked at it, told me the good and bad as he was unbiased. I bought him lunch to thank him for his time.

p nut

butter
I've bought 3 vehicles unseen, including the 100. All were forum members (100 was on Mud). You can tell a lot by just talking to the owner how the vehicle was treated and what condition it's in. Of course, pictures help a ton (underside, especially). I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again out of state, unseen.

(beans)

Observer
Cool responses, thanks guys. :) That's why this is the best forum on the planet.

When the JK sells the pressure will definitely be on to find solutions before the right 100 goes to someone else. I'll post up when it starts hitting the fan!

mattafact

Adventurer
If you buy it from someone on a forum you can stalk them through their old posts and get a sense of how they treated the vehicle and any issues it had while they owned it.

mph

Expedition Leader
Post up where...would be happy to take a look for u

Hi everyone,

I'm on the verge of selling my prized Jeep JK. After realizing that I'd rather have a vehicle that took us to new experiences and adventures, rather than the act of sitting in the jeep being the whole adventure, I focused on finding the perfect series 100. Its a big step up and a whole lot more vehicle, and had been my unattainable dream truck for a long time!

My question is this: I think I've found a few candidates...but they're spread all over the country and I have no way of confirming if they smell like dead donkeys, are rusted straight through from road salt or bashing through the surf...or were built up by someone on the wrong meds.

SO, have any of you ever taken a leap of faith and bought a 100 sight unseen (other than interweb pics and descriptions)? I know that I'm entering into the world of Toyota, and that their engineers can actually add and measure, and that I shouldn't ever have any problems...but what if thats all brainwashing and marketing hype?

Is there a way to get a trusted source to look at these trucks?

Any and all advice on this type of situation or a personal story would be greatly appreciated!

(and I'd put this type of thing in that thread on mud too, but I dont want to give away my finds before I get a crack them)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I would think that being in Colorado you would have a decent amount of Cruisers to choose from. I'm sure if you post the locations, especially here and ih8mud.com you will find people more than happy to look at Cruisers for you.

(beans)

Observer
If you buy it from someone on a forum you can stalk them through their old posts and get a sense of how they treated the vehicle and any issues it had while they owned it.
I like that idea! In fact, I've been searching like crazy to find a particular 100 here and on mud....but with no luck. But as this process continues I'll for sure be stalking like an ex-girlfirend on pcp.

Post up where...would be happy to take a look for u

Thank you very much! Thats really cool to offer. I find out Wednesday if this particular one of interest is still available...I might have to take you up on that offer. :)

I would think that being in Colorado you would have a decent amount of Cruisers to choose from. I'm sure if you post the locations, especially here and ih8mud.com you will find people more than happy to look at Cruisers for you.

The thing is that in Colorado they cost a lot more than in the south or midwest...as the perceived value is lower there. There are a ton of them here in the rockies, its cool to see them so often, but the used ones are selling for a premium not seen elsewhere.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I bought our HDJ81 without seeing it first. I dropped into town, met the guy at our branch office and handed him a bank draft. I guess I had a couple minutes to change my mind. I'd do it again but the cost of an inspection at the local Toyota dealer will give you some points to consider and some peace of mind.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
I would NOT buy a truck sight unseen (ask me why). I bought my 80 6 years ago via e-bay, I had sold my 4runner to a friend and I was patiently looking for a clean 80 when my buddy unloaded 2 vehicles very quickly in order to purchase my 4runner. Once he did, he really wanted my truck and was sending me links to 80 series all over the country. I finally found one in Indiana at a dealer, I asked for several pictures and talked to the owner several items specifically. Long story short my 80 arrives 3 days before I leave for Argentina with a rusted out muffler, non working AC, check engine light REMOVED so that I would not see that they did NOT fix the egr problem, kids shoes throughout the truck, dirty, etc. etc. etc.

I put a lot of $$$ baselining the truck and taking care of all the issues and the truck is great today, lesson learned though.

GL

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I would NOT buy a truck sight unseen (ask me why). I bought my 80 6 years ago via e-bay, I had sold my 4runner to a friend and I was patiently looking for a clean 80 when my buddy unloaded 2 vehicles very quickly in order to purchase my 4runner. Once he did, he really wanted my truck and was sending me links to 80 series all over the country. I finally found one in Indiana at a dealer, I asked for several pictures and talked to the owner several items specifically. Long story short my 80 arrives 3 days before I leave for Argentina with a rusted out muffler, non working AC, check engine light REMOVED so that I would not see that they did NOT fix the egr problem, kids shoes throughout the truck, dirty, etc. etc. etc.

I put a lot of $$$ baselining the truck and taking care of all the issues and the truck is great today, lesson learned though.

GL

I also had some surprises with the 60 I bought off the internet...bid on and won a "clean rust free" 60 off ebay a couple of year ago...body was rough but no rot/rust...seller advertised as a smooth runner that he would not hesitate to drive across the country...sounded great and the pics looked good.
I hopped on a train and showed up at the albuquerque amtrak station the next week with cash in hand...and was surprised with many issues...to say the least
I would never buy sight unseen again...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Bought mine on fleabay in '04 sight unseen. Although it worked out OK it was a bit exacerbating and something I'd not do again without at least one of my homies taking a peak for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1