Aussie desert trip part 2

Low range

We camp for the night amongst the mallee gums at an obscure spot on the map called Round Swamp. There is an abundance of Mallee roots along the track. They are the roots of the mallee gums and are a very dense wood that burn very hot, great for a camp fire. The clouds clear and the stars put on a spectacular show.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We head off the next morning with no set destination but knowing the general direction we want to head, into the Wyperfeld National Park area. To get there we head across the dry Lake Albacutya

image.jpg

From the southern end of Wyperfeld the aptly named North-South track takes us North to the Cassuina pines area of the park. On the way we meet up with the park ranger who recommends camping at "Snowdrift".
The wildlife is pretty timid and hard to spot but their tracks are everywhere. The "big red" kangaroos have an amazing leap with a massive distance between the foot prints.

image.jpg

Arriving at Snowdrift we were amazed at the huge pure white sand dune and beautiful camp area right at the base of the dune. Even more amazing was the view (and silence) at the top of the dune.

image.jpg

With the camp set up and dinner cooked we again climbed to the top of the dune to explore and take in a spectacular sunset, followed by a setting moon. I'll let the photos tell the story.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Heading north again the next morning and heading to the Pink Lakes. They are a series on salt lakes in the southern part of the Murray-Sunset National Park. Good quality dirt roads lead us into and around the lakes. With plenty to explore a quiet camp site was found and off walking to take in the beauty of the salt lakes.

image.jpg

By now we are around 600 klms from Melbourne so it was time to hit the blacktop and head home. Yes, both of them shared the driving all the way, so it was quite a different trip for me as I have normally done all the driving. They are both really keen to plan the next trip, so it looks like we are heading to the mountains next time.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1