Awning directly attached to LR3 roof tracks?

TMR

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried attaching an awning directly to the LR3 roof tracks. I'd like to get away without having to drive around with a rack or crossbars as the car is hard enough on gas, any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Wait til you see your mileage with awning! I am sure it can be done but I wouldn't trust the side loading moment on just one rail, especially if you are not running crossbars. The roof rack and crossbars are designed to distribute the load down to the anchor points. My guess is if you hang an awning on one rack you will break the lugs off the roof channel. There is a lot of force on that awning when cruising down the road. All of that force is going to be side loaded to three 10 or 12mm (I forget) bolts on one side......that is a recipe for disaster and an expensive roof structure fix!

roverpat

Observer
Do you mean the OEM Expedition rack? I too have been pondering this. I know that the rack is riveted together so first thing I plan to do id drill all of the rivets out and use nut serts and bolts to tighten it up. Im trying to figure out how to mount my 110 watt solar panel in it but being as its 22 degrees here in MD I dont care so much today.

Do you mean the OEM Expedition rack? I too have been pondering this. I know that the rack is riveted together so first thing I plan to do id drill all of the rivets out and use nut serts and bolts to tighten it up. Im trying to figure out how to mount my 110 watt solar panel in it but being as its 22 degrees here in MD I dont care so much today.

He said track so I am assuming he means the rails attached individually to the roof with no crossbars or rack attached.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1