Battery Meter reads 6.6% on brand new battery bank

Ambolorian

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my battery meter reads 6.6% on a bank of three brand new Renogy 100ah AGM batteries.
I hooked up the shunt per the meter's directions but something must not be right.

I get 13.5 when I test the batteries with a voltmeter and all accessories hooked up run strong.
Is there a reset you're supposed to perform on the meter?

I drove the van to work and it charged up to 3.5%. Then I hooked up shore power and used the Inverter/Charger thinking it would charge faster than using my alternators but after an hour its only went up to 6.6%

Here's my rough setup:
Schematic1.jpeg

What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Mat Z

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You’re using the renogy battery monitor? I have one of those and find it confusing as well.

Daviticus

You didn't mention which shunt monitor you're using, but you said you've got Renogy batteries, so I'll assume you've got the usual Renogy rectangle monitor with 4 buttons.

Tap the OK button, then hold it until a menu appears, at this point you can scroll through the menu and change the amp hours, low voltage warning set points, etc, (I usually turn all the warnings off and only set the capacity). Once you've done that, fully charge your battery bank and once it's known full, tap the up arrow, then hold the up arrow for about 3 seconds. This will set the shunt to 100% SOC. From here it should calculate SOC correctly. Of the hundreds I've installed, I've yet to have one show an incorrect SOC unless the client messed with it or drained the battery bank.

This method works for a few other Jungle Site cheapos as well.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Most of those will be off until they have experienced a full charge. Ruguradless of a new battery put in. And if the system ever goes dead, it will need it again. Some have to be SOC manually. The nicer ones like Victron will usually do it on their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal