Best Solar Power Setup

Naila Ferozi

Hello, I'm new to truck camping. Could someone advise on an efficient solar power system for a compact truck camper to maintain off-grid electricity while on the road? Also what to do in rainy seasons?

plh

Explorer
"Best" for what? Need to tell the crew here a bit about what you are planning to power and for how long, otherwise the information received will be a crap shoot.

MR E30

Agree with plh.

What are you powering?

How long is off-grid to you?

How much space do you have?

How much money do you have?

A lot of us have helpful knowledge to share, but we need a better target.

OverlandNA

There is truck camping
Screenshot_20230928-124910.png
Then there is truck camping
IMG_3192.JPG
And of course there is truck camping
Ram-Snapped-Hero-2.jpg
What's your flavor?
Fridge
Furnace
Inverter
Ham radio
?????

csj

As said above there are a lot of variables but I'll tell you what another amateur (myself) has done.
I have a FWC project m bare camper shell that came with some led lighting and a max fan. Since I acquired this I've added a 55l fridge, more lighting and several usb outlets. My power comes from a Battle born 100ah battery that is charged by a Redarc 25 amp bcdc charger that charges from the truck and an Overland solar 160 watt panel. The longest amount of time I have stayed in one place with out starting the truck was 6 days and in that time we ran the fridge continuously, charged stuff like headlamps, cameras, iPhones and tablets. Our battery always stayed above 13v. We have a fairly minimalist camper setup but I think a robust electrical system for what we need. I'll probably add more stuff as time goes by such as a diesel heater that is next on the list but I'm pretty sure our system will handle it fine and if we are moving every day as in driving the truck, I probably wouldn't even need the solar panel but its nice for those extended stops.

Attachments

• tempImageBsaJrm.png
    tempImageBsaJrm.png
    6 MB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1