Better "Expedition or Overlanding" trailer manufacturers?

Sid Post

Observer
I have been reading various threads in this forum and see many comments about "stick and staple" trailers and similar things which I suspect most of us seriously avoid. Looking at the opposite extreme, robustly built trailers are randomly mentioned in random threads. This has me wondering if there is a better website or post here I have missed that lists builders making superior trailers for our uses to help people make a more informed purchase choice.

What I am looking for are standout products broken out into basic categories with nominal pricing such as:
  • Simple trailers such as Teardrops and similar Expedition trailers without a dedicated hard-sided sleeping space
  • Entry-level trailers with a dedicated bed, simple indoor kitchen area, and cassette toilet and shower
  • Premium options with a full shower, traditional bed, plenty of hot water and grey water storage, air conditioning, etc.
In my case, I was looking at a Taxa Wooly Bear but, I ran into a Nut House Hickory at about twice the cost which definitely looked attractive. There are probably other regional trailer builders who are doing superior work at similar prices (plus some extra money in many cases) to common mass-market travel trailers that are being overlooked because we never learn about them!

Sid Post

Observer
DIY out of the question?

For me, it won't be cost-effective if I look at buying a better welder, cut-off saw, and all the other "manufacturing" stuff. Then add axles, suspension, steel, etc., and the time needed to do it that prevents some trips and general time-related impacts is a concern as well.

I have seen various pickup bed trailers but, they won't really give me what I need or want in an expedition/overlanding trailer. Then there is the option of buying a good utility trailer as a base and building from there or, using a military surplus trailer which seem to be getting rather expensive these days.

When I rough out the costs to build something like a Taxa Wooly Bear or Nut House Hickory, I really won't save much money and likely would run over MSRP due to unforeseen construction costs. I say this by living close to some larger trailer manufacturers so trailer axles, lights, etc. are available locally at multiple, 2 or 3, supporting businesses to the trailer manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp