BMW 60R/6 ..Need some input

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
1975-saw one for sale in my street, cool looking bike! had some side bags, and I couldn't resist and called the guy, wants $3,500.00
other then the cool factor, pros and cons? price is fair? reliability for touring?
any info and opinions will be appreciated!

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Great point of view!
Thanks for the input John!

I appreciate you taking the time!

Sometimes I tend to make my decision on an impulse and gut feeling but this time I wanted to do a little research first.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
1975-saw one for sale in my street, cool looking bike! had some side bags, and I couldn't resist and called the guy, wants $3,500.00
other then the cool factor, pros and cons? price is fair? reliability for touring?

Looks like we are neighbors:sombrero:

Attachments

• bmw R60.JPG
    bmw R60.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 43

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer

Looks like we are neighbors:sombrero:

Indeed we are!:victory:
Not exactly where I live but close!
I found out the guy does not have a title for it and he said he had it for 2 years..he got a register letter from the previous owner to say its his bike and he lost the title....hmmmm..
Also, can't start it because of dead battery..???
how can you sell a bike to someone without even being able to hear it running?
Bike has 75K on the gauge..
Unless I can untangle this mess, and if the price is non negotiable and taking in consideration the shape of the bike, and the extra hassle, I'll let my common sense override my urge and impulse...:drool:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Indeed we are!:victory:
Not exactly where I live but close!
I found out the guy does not have a title for it and he said he had it for 2 years..he got a register letter from the previous owner to say its his bike and he lost the title....hmmmm..
Also, can't start it because of dead battery..???
how can you sell a bike to someone without even being able to hear it running?
Bike has 75K on the gauge..
Unless I can untangle this mess, and if the price is non negotiable and taking in consideration the shape of the bike, and the extra hassle, I'll let my common sense override my urge and impulse...:drool:

With that said and with the time of year a good deal could be had.
Good Luck:bike_rider:

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
like a thousand dollar motorcycle to me, assuming you do the research into getting a title and registration with just a bill of sale and a copy of the VIN on your own.

Good luck.

Is it the one in the picture posted by "Landcruiserphil"?

That's the one!
Yes, I wont pay anything without legal title at hand!
I also stipulated that prior to any money changing hands, I wanted a pre -buy check by motorcycle shop, specializing in BMWs
I own auto shop and that what I recommend my clients to do prior to buying a car.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Depending on the condition, $3,500 is not unreasonable, but close to the top of the market. Parts are available through the dealer network and while some dealer shops are focused on newer bikes, most have a steady air head trade. Most metro areas have at least one well regarded BMW specific independent shop. The members of the local BMW club can help you through that.

Besides they are dumb simple to work on compared to modern bikes. Just keep a diode board in your spares.

Jim

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
A few years ago I went looking for a used XR. I found a xr400 that had some extras, and the guy had it at a reasonable price. I was able to ride it, sounded good. It needed some cosmetic help, but not much. When I asked about a title, that's when the stories started to fly. My caution meter went through the roof, and I told him I'd have to think about it.

I called my DMV with the VIN, and I was told there was some type of lien on the title. Needless to say I passed.

My advise is check the VIN through whatever means you have available. If it doesn't run, and you (or someone you know) aren't ready for what could be a total overhaul of the machine - pass. There have been times in the past my voice of reason hasn't been loud enough, and I got into something I regretted.

Also, if your looking at a used BMW in your area, go to the marketplace/flea market sections of www.ibmwr.org or www.bmwmoa.org , and you can usually find the same model to see if that is close to the going rate. In any rate you might find something in better condition, better situation, and at a fair price.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal