Building shower system, have question about pump

ExpoMike

Hi everyone,

So I am looking to put together a shower system similar to the Big Kahuna posted elsewhere in the forum. euro.love bought one and posted pics of the pump which is a basic bilge pump that can be bought for $16 (exact model) via Amazon. I figured I could use a 5 gallon bucket with lid, some hose, wiring and put together my own for less than half. One thing he mentioned is that the pump runs as long as power is applied.

My question is, can a bilge pump be "dead headed" i.e. have the flow shut off at the end sprayer (no water flow) yet still have the pump running? It would make it really easy if I can just switch off the sprayer when soaping up and on for rinsing without having to kill power to the pump.

Thoughts, ideas and comments welcomed.

I think you could "T" the supply line off just before the valve that shut off the head and run a retun line to the bucket. Or maybe use a "T" that would direct water to the shower head or to your return line.

muddyluxury

Observer
have to agree with taco. the pump by its nature and design will pump if there is power, use a T joint, and route one of the dumps back to the bucket, below the water line.

link30204

Observer
or a water proof 12 volt switch to cut power would be less bulky then a additional hose. the switch and wires could be zip tied to your existing shower hose

sjk99

Adventurer
Or a water pressure control switch that will shut the pump off when the water in the hose reaches a preset pressure and turns it on when the pressure drops.

Here's a 12v pump with a built in shut-off switch but I've seen them as separate switches you plumb in-line.

http://store.solar-electric.com/8000-443-136.html

Was just thinking that even at 40psi might empty your 5 gallon bucket pretty quickly so you'd probably want some sort of low flow head or restricted line to keep the flow down. Don't know if other switches go lower (20 psi?)

Last edited:

UNI

Adventurer
A bilge pump is not designed to be used as a pressure pump, its basically a transfer pump, sending the water from one area to another. If you leave the pump on, you will need to relieve the pressure or you could burn the pump up. You could use a hand held shower diverter valve to divert the water back into the bucket or as "SJK99" suggested a pump with a built in pressure switch.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Great,thanks guys, that was the feedback I needed. I am thinking that diverter valve might be the way to go. More planning.... :D

tremors834

Adventurer
If it's a "Rule" brand type bilge pump, there should be no problem keeping the pump running while the shower head is closed. I believe "Rule" bilge pumps are centrifugal type pumps.
Pumps 101- On industrial centrifugal pumps you can temporarialy close the discharge side of the pump. Eventually though, the water will heat up and vaporize, causing cavitation.
On a small 12 volt bilge pump, I doubt you'll get any higher heat increase from dead heading. Besides, the entire pump will be submerged in the water bucket anyway.
You'll run the battery down before the pump ever burns out from dead heading.
If its a diaphram or reciprocating type pump, then you can not run the pump with the shower head closed (no flow).
Never run any size/type pump dry, with the suction side closed or blocked or without a water supply to it.

ExpoMike

Guess I should follow up on what we bought. After looking at all the different options, thinking about power, being tethered to some power source, etc., we decided to go with a Zodi Extreme. Seemed to be likely to fit our needs and since we carry 18 gallons of water onboard the Kamparoo, that shouldn't be an issue. I need to put a valve into that system so I can fill the Zodi tank quicker than via the hand pump.

Thanks for all the input.

xtatik

Explorer
I have my Zodi 6185 rigged to run on a 12v Rule bilge pump. I ditched the stock battery powered POS.
You don't need anything over-engineered. If, as you say, your drawing water from a bucket..........just drop the nozzle into the bucket twixt rinse-offs. It'll just sit in there and recirculate until the next time you need to grab and use it.....no water wasted...no diverters,valves, etc.
I've rigged mine with an extra-long cord and DC plug that I can plug into any of the receptacles on my truck (usually the rear compartment). I put an in-line sealed toggle switch in a small plastic project box at the pump end, but it's not necessary. I set the shower unit up next to where I shower so I can monitor water level and temp. I let it recirculate as the water warms then grab it and drop it back in the reservoir as needed.
BTW, this will also work completely independent of the Zodi. All it requires is a cigarette type DC receptacle and a water reservoir/bucket...or directly from a stream.

Last edited:

UNI

Adventurer
Xj_mike Posted: We decided to go with a Zodi Extreme.
Your going to like the Zodi Extreme unit, that's what we use. We get two showers per tank. (Wet/Soap/Rinse)

salve7

Adventurer
How about some pics of all ur setups? I have a couple of old 5 gal water cans that I want to convert into a shower and am looking at ideas...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1