Camping Lab Serengeti trailer tent rainfly leaking

jg45

I just recently purchased a trailer with this tent mounted on it. The original owner said he bought to tent just as Camping Lab was closing shop. I had it set up in my yard tonight preparing for a 2 week camping trip string soon. A thunderstorm blew through and let and behold the tent leaks water where the top vent is. It appears water is soaking through the fly where the top metal rib is and dropping through the mesh vent. Any suggestions how to correct this in a hurry? I am supposed to hit to road in just over 2 weeks.

P.S. The canvas seemed to hold up well with only slight drips at some of the seems.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jg45

Here are pictures of the vent where I am having the leak and the outside of the setup for reference.
IMG_5558_zps0mmdywkj.jpg

IMG_5548_zpslmmfjb8f.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As for the leak, just grab some tent seam sealer from Cabelas or other outdoor camping store and retreat the seam. Are these photos of your tent or stock photos? The reason I ask is I can't say I've ever seem the rainfly anchored down like that. Generally speaking the fly is held on by the metal spring rods and "floats" on the tent frame. This configuration looks like it could cause some rubbing and chaffing that may rub through the fly and/or cause leaking. Good luck!

Last edited:

jg45

These are pics of my actual tent taken by the previous owner.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
It appears from the photo that there is a seam running the length of the ridge. I would address that seam and see if it needs new seam tape or seam sealer. That should solve the issue.

Having said that, it’s not uncommon for flys to “wet out” and leak in heavy or extended rain. As previously stated go to a camping supply store and get new tape and seam seal as needed but I would also buy a bottle of DWR replenisher and re treat the whole fly just to be safe. Nikwax makes a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1