CB antenna

M.Bas

Adventurer
I recently bought an atenna for my Volvo C304. It is an original antenna that is mounted on the front left corner.

The antenna being alsmost as long as the vehicle is tall, the estimated length is somewhere around 2.75m making it an 1/4 length CB antenna, right?

Now I want to know what make the antenna is but the only thing found on it is a number (probably serial number, google can't find anything) and a logo with 3 crowns (2 next to each other, 1 centered below the other 2).

Does anyone know the manufacturer of this antenna?

The antenna mount is from the same manufacturer.

M.Bas

Adventurer
Just noticed another tag plate with that logo so it probably isn't the antenna manucaturer's.

gary in ohio

Explorer
I recently bought an atenna for my Volvo C304. It is an original antenna that is mounted on the front left corner.

The antenna being alsmost as long as the vehicle is tall, the estimated length is somewhere around 2.75m making it an 1/4 length CB antenna, right?

A photo would help but the c304 being a military vehicle opens you up to LOTS of possabilities. Its is a military antenna it will not be for CB, most likey VHF low (40-60mhz) range and will be a bit short for CB but could be extended. The big check is look at the base, make sure there is no matching components in the base.

M.Bas

Adventurer
A photo would help but the c304 being a military vehicle opens you up to LOTS of possabilities. Its is a military antenna it will not be for CB, most likey VHF low (40-60mhz) range and will be a bit short for CB but could be extended. The big check is look at the base, make sure there is no matching components in the base.
Right now these are the only 2 pictures I have:
20091206-IMGP2482.jpg

Tag plate at the base of the mount.

20091206-IMGP2483.jpg

Tags at the base of the antenna.

This antenna is about the same age as the C304, did they do VHF back in the 70's?

Last edited:

M.Bas

Adventurer
Is was going to edit my previous post, but too much photo's.

20091206-IMGP2486.jpg

Another tag plate showing the three crowns, this is the ambulance box tag plate.

20091206-IMGP2488.jpg

Base cap with tag plate.

20091206-IMGP2492.jpg

Inside of the cap.

20091206-IMGP2493.jpg

Wiring, underside of the mounting.
Coax is connected via the small screw with the bolt.

20091206-IMGP2494.jpg

Upside showing the bolt.
Ground wire is connected to the aluminium plate, the other side needs to be bolted to the vehicle.

20091206-IMGP2495.jpg

Just a plastic base.

20091206-IMGP2496.jpg

The hinge, antenna is screwed on.
The antenna can be flipped 180 degrees in steps of 45 degrees.
Standing straight up the tip of the antenna is at approximately 6m from the ground.

20091206-IMGP2497.jpg

Hinge from another angle.

20091206-IMGP2498.jpg

Antenna mount put back together.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
are you looking for a oem replacement? looks like most whips should attatch to that base.

M.Bas

Adventurer
are you looking for a oem replacement? looks like most whips should attatch to that base.

No, I want to know if this is indeed a CB antenna and I was looking for the manufacturer, but since the three crowns are not from the manufacturer I probably will never get to know it.

java

Expedition Leader
No, I want to know if this is indeed a CB antenna and I was looking for the manufacturer, but since the three crowns are not from the manufacturer I probably will never get to know it.

ah i see. cant be of any help sorry...

but you caould put a CB whip on, i know its no oem but it could still use the base

gary in ohio

Explorer
Ok, good pix's to go from.. The base is direct feed with no coils and appear to be direct coax fed so adapting it is possible.. Now the next question. Now the next question is WHAT frequency are the CB's in your country on? In the US 26-27.5mhz is CB, other countries have UHF CB systems.

It appears it would be easy to adapt the antenna mount to a "CB" antenna. Any threaded CB antenna should work. Find a CB shope and see what they sell. YOu might need to adapt the threads to fit but shouldnt be an issue. Since your existing whip is fiberglass it might be hard to modify, but can you get the exact whip length?

Gary

M.Bas

Adventurer
Ok, good pix's to go from.. The base is direct feed with no coils and appear to be direct coax fed so adapting it is possible.. Now the next question. Now the next question is WHAT frequency are the CB's in your country on? In the US 26-27.5mhz is CB, other countries have UHF CB systems.

It appears it would be easy to adapt the antenna mount to a "CB" antenna. Any threaded CB antenna should work. Find a CB shope and see what they sell. YOu might need to adapt the threads to fit but shouldnt be an issue. Since your existing whip is fiberglass it might be hard to modify, but can you get the exact whip length?

Gary
In the Netherlands CB is 26,960 MHz to 27,410 MHz.

For the exact length I have to measure it. That will have to wait till tomorrow (current time on this side of the pond is 1AM).

gary in ohio

Explorer
Well your CB and ours is the same so I can at least speak with some background.

IS the whip one section or multi sections screwed togeather..

M.Bas

Adventurer
The whip is one section.

20091207-IMGP2501.jpg

Tip at 0mm

20091207-IMGP2503.jpg

Bottom of antenna.

20091207-IMGP2506.jpg

Close up 1.

20091207-IMGP2507.jpg

Close up 2.

20091207-IMGP2509.jpg

Not kidding about the length, every red dot is 10cm.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
It's 2.81 meters or 9.29 feet, plus the base. It should work as a CB antenna or a short HF ham antenna. Check the SWR on either....

James86004

Expedition Leader
I asked my Swedish colleague:

The three crowns indicate that this part once belonged to the Swedish army. The F-number is an army part number. “Antennfaste” means antenna base or antenna mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1