Cheap Chinese Equipment

What do you think about this and products and businesses like this?

• They hurt the overlanding community.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • They help the overlanding community.

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

ThundahBeagle

American Leatherman all day every day. Chinese multitools really stink.
Craftsman. Old craftsman. New craftsman and other chinese made tools stink. I'll buy Craftsman off of Craigslist before I buy new, now that it's made in China.

There are many things I can live with being CCC (Communist Chinese Crap) cheap. There are many things I can not. Figure that out as you see fit. For me its concentric circles of "local" and outward, depending on availability and price vs quality.

Every now and then I'm in Tractor Supply or HF and am surprised at what I see is made in US.

MisterNoisy

I feel about this the same way I do about the same conversation in other realms - if it gets people started in the hobby by removing the initial financial barrier, they'll either have bought a decent product or will have at least gotten into the hobby/space and realized they need something better from a more reputable vendor.

Hnoroian

Observer
I agree with getting more people out and about but seriously let’s have some more common sense and respect for Mother Nature and others along the way, leaving it better than what we left it.

TwinStick

Explorer
That's just another reason why America is great: freedom of choice. Just ask any immigrant that came from somewhere where you have no choice. The only choice they have is to buy it or don't. I have been to a few of those places and you could not pay me enough to live there.

And besides, there are plenty of Americans who have bought American and can't get it fixed or are waiting on parts that are on National Backorder, so what is the point ? I personally know someone who has bought a new American truck & has been making payments for 6 months on a truck he can't drive. So again, what's the point. That's the Global Economy that our leaders have pushed down our throats.

epyonxero

A friend of mine bought a RTT and a truck bed rack to mount it on from "American Made" companies and the bed rack was nothing but trouble from the beginning. First it was missing several parts and some of the mounting hardware and once it was mounted it didn't even make it halfway through a short overnight trip before it broke. Cant imagine a bed rack bought on Alibaba would have been much worse.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
If you’ve paid 79.99 for a three person tent, you’ll get what you paid for, junk.

I'm particularly interested in tents. I searched for years for a tall 3-person tent with an awning (for shade) that could comfortably accommodate one person on a 15" high cot. This design does not exist in the U.S. In my search, I tried a couple of cheap Chinese tents from Amazon. The Clostnature 3-person Polaris, for example, is $85. I found that the whole tent was very well made and consisted of superior materials. The fly and floor have a 5000 mm PU coating, which is much more than US tents costing several hundred dollars---many of those have a 1200 to 3000 mm coating. All seams are well sealed. All neatly double stitched. It has an awning---very rare on US tents. It has all the expected features of a quality tent---bathtub floor, fly vents, full-coverage fly, large doors, aluminum poles. The company was very responsive in answering several questions I had. I returned this tent only because the sides slanted in too much for my purpose (the cot ends hit the sides). They processed my return immediately, so both the product and the service were good to excellent.

I found other good-quality Chinese tents at Amazon that had features lacking on US tents. I've had good experiences with many other Chinese gear items. I discarded a long string of expensive US-brand inflatable seat cushions before finding a durable one made in China by Deerfamy.

Helinox cots and chairs are designed and made in South Korea. No US company could design a very lightweight, well-engineered cot or chair until Helinox arrived. But they're tremendously expensive, so I don't blame Chinese companies for successfully imitating them. Successful companies have to combine innovation with reasonable consumer prices and good services. I bet most people in this forum could state some product they wish existed on the market, like my tall 3P tent, which I still haven't found.

That indicates that the US is not always the best innovator. Rather, US gear companies want to dictate what they think we want and need, and they get stuck in some design that lasts for years. For example, there was a whole decade when it was very difficult to buy a US-made hatchback car because manufacturers decided we didn't need a hatchback. Right now Japan is making some great mini RV campers, not available in the US.

So (a) yes, Asian products are innovative, including Chinese, and (b) China is turning out some innovative high-quality products. You have to know where to look for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad