Chevy Express ignition wiring power source

The Rebel Express

Hello. I have a 2014 chevy express and I’m trying to tap into a wire that is only on when ignition is on. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
And also WHERE you need the wire.

There are better options if you need that wire in the rear quarter panel vs. under the dash, for example...

The Rebel Express

I’m installing a dc dc charger. It just needs a power signal so it knows when the car is running and can turn on. I would prefer it be under the dash.
I bought a multimeter and will start trying to test wires in a little while. If I can’t figure it out I’ll just tap a fuse, but I’d like to get it done by splicing into a wire. Thanks for responding.

The Rebel Express

And also WHERE you need the wire.

There are better options if you need that wire in the rear quarter panel vs. under the dash, for example...
I’m installing a dc dc charger. It just needs a power signal so it knows when the car is running and can turn on. I would prefer it be under the dash.
I bought a multimeter and will start trying to test wires in a little while. If I can’t figure it out I’ll just tap a fuse, but I’d like to get it done by splicing into a wire. Thanks for responding.

The Rebel Express

There should be dozens of them.
You might share with us how much current you want to pull from that wire or at least the purpose of tapping into it.
That will make a huge difference as what wire is suggested.

1stDeuce

Explorer
See if your van has a wire under the dash for an aftermarket trailer brake controller. If so, you'll probably have to connect it to a stud in the fuse box, but that's a great source for interior power if you're keeping it under 30a or so...
Edit My bad, the trailer brake controller feed is constant power.
For ignition switched, I use the little piggyback fuse adapter (The one with a wire coming off, and two fuses, not the crappy little piece of junk that you poke a fuse through and push a spade terminal on... Just pick something that's only on when the ignition is on for things I don't want to work when I key off...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1