Coil springs

spot

Guys I have a question about cutting coil springs. Lots of opinions and do and don’ts but would like to open the can again. My full size bronco has deaver 11 leaf rear springs and deaver h57c front coils. The rear leaves have settled a bit +\- 2” which still ride well and provide plenty of flex and appear stable as they don’t sag any farther with the truck loaded. I think cutting one coil out of the front coils will level the truck. I plan to cut the springs in my bandsaw which should not impart any heat into the spring. Let the opinions begin.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Depends on the type of spring. As long as they’re supported properly by the seat then cutting them is fine. For example… If it’s a flat ground spring then you’ll want a spring seat to receive the cut coil.

spot

Ok I talked to Deaver and confirmed the coils are the correct length/height etc. changing the coil buckets can be done as they are bolted on. The issue is I will need to fabricate them No one makes, that I have found, an adjustable bucket. The buckets wrap the lower cord of the frame and bolt there as well. I assume this keeps the bucket from wanting to twist/bend/fold inward. I’m looking for a pair of used buckets to cut up. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll keep digging.

Walkers

Your bandsaw likely won’t cut the coils, they are hard! It doesn’t really matter what you cut them with, as the heat affected zone is on the end of the spring. Have you considered adding a front winch bumper and winch? That should squat the front a little more. If it were me, I would just add air bags to the rear to adjust as needed.

spot

It’s got a plate steel winch bumper and warn 8k winch and dual batteries. The springs have sagged all they are going to.

Eb1970

Ok I talked to Deaver and confirmed the coils are the correct length/height etc. changing the coil buckets can be done as they are bolted on. The issue is I will need to fabricate them No one makes, that I have found, an adjustable bucket. The buckets wrap the lower cord of the frame and bolt there as well. I assume this keeps the bucket from wanting to twist/bend/fold inward. I’m looking for a pair of used buckets to cut up. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll keep digging.
Ballistic makes the adjustable buckets, you can click on the link in my previous message to look at them.

spot

Ah, didn’t notice the link. Those are nice and priced right as well. Time to take some measurements and see what will need to be moved. THANKS!!!!

displacedtexan

Your bandsaw likely won’t cut the coils, they are hard! It doesn’t really matter what you cut them with, as the heat affected zone is on the end of the spring. Have you considered adding a front winch bumper and winch? That should squat the front a little more. If it were me, I would just add air bags to the rear to adjust as needed.
What junk bandsaws are you used to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design