CombiBoil water heater from Autoterm/Tigerexped

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hello Forum members!

If doesn't happen often that I'm posting in Expedition Portal about components we carry. The following product deserves all mentioning possible!
Let me explain: Anyone that has ever outfitted their own camper/trailer/ expo truck knows how difficult it is to source and select the right components. Most times it's a gamble and fingers are crossed that everything works out as planed. I went through this many times myself and because of that we are always out searching for the "perfect" accessory to make your life easier! In 2018 this led to the opening of our Online store Expeditionupfitter. Since then we have found an impressive selection of well proven and unique high quality components for the DIY and professional upfitters.
Today, I'm thrilled to show you our newest offering: The Combiboil water boiler. Designed and manufactured in corporation by Autoterm (former Planar) and Tigerexped in Europe. This boiler is simply ground breaking for this industry. With only one controller panel you can operate the boiler, any Autoterm diesel heater, arrange for frost protection, automatic starting times and much more. Use the hot air from your Autoterm diesel heater, 120V or your hydronic heat to generate hot water.

Please read about the full description below or visit our page (videos included)
hot-shower-upgrade-kit-2-0-combiboil-with-comfort-boiler-control-panel

Hot water through:
1. 120V Heating Element
2. Through warm air from an auxiliary Diesel heater.
3. Via integration into the engine cooling circuit / with water heater

Advantages of the Combi-Boil

Displays water temperature in real-time, even on the Sleepscreen of the controller
Water temperature can be preset from 122F-176F (50 – 80 °C)
Adjustable increment of 5 – 25 °C from the target temperature
Overheat protection (configurable): The heater switches off automatically before the water temperature reaches a critical point.
Frost protection: If the water temperature drops to 2 °C, the heater automatically warms the water to +15 °C and the ambient air to +7 °C. Boilers and water pipes are reliably protected from frost damage.
The Autoterm Comfort Boiler Control is only available in combination with the combiBOIL hot water boiler.

Features:

Full Autoterm diesel heater integration : temperature display, presetting, and protective shutdown are possible with the new Autoterm comfort control panel.
The integration of a second water loop (e.g. underfloor heating, towel dryer, or vehicle cooling circuit) is possible
Stainless steel boiler and heat exchanger, salt water resistant
Rotatable attachment for a variety of installation options (floor/wall/ceiling)
Highest workmanship quality, Made in Western Europe
Insulation made of closed-cell PU foam for minimized heat losses
Extremely robust, shockproof outer shell
Flexibility of installation and achieving 100% tightness of the connections is made easier by standardized G1/2'' threaded screw connections.
Minimum flow resistance - can be used up to 4kW / twin kit ( 2X diesel heater for redundancy)
Integrated safety valve (overpressure protection)
Drain valve for emptying for safe winter storage etc.

SELECTING THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOUR PROJECT:

The Hot Shower Upgrade Kit 2.0 is available with the combiBOIL hot water boiler in various versions and two sizes. (9Liter/12Liter)

Please take note: If your diesel heater is already installed, be mindful when choosing the volume, considering not only the amount of water you want to heat but also the available space in the camper for boiler installation (preferably in a straight line, near the heater).

We include these hand selected accessories with each CombiBoil:

1x combiBOIL hot water boiler with 9 or 12l capacity, featuring a stainless steel tank and heat exchanger, in the chosen size, and with the included Comfort Boiler Control unit.
2x adapters for the hot air connections of the Boiler
1x adjustable thermo-mixing valve / anti-scalding protection
2x brass hoses 1 x screw-on hose connector
2x T-piece for water line
1x steel flex hose G1/2" for the heat-resistant connection between the boiler and mixer

Boilers.jpeg9L.jpegUnknown02.jpeg

llamalander

This looks like a great paring, but the self-preservation mode of the controller sounds really key for cold places, I'm really tempted to see if I can find the space for this. Is it correct that the Autoterm should only be mounted horizontally? Is there a min/max distance between the heater and the water tank?

Victorian

This looks like a great paring, but the self-preservation mode of the controller sounds really key for cold places, I'm really tempted to see if I can find the space for this. Is it correct that the Autoterm should only be mounted horizontally? Is there a min/max distance between the heater and the water tank?
Correct, the actual boiler vessel needs to be mounted horizontal. The mounting hardware on the other hand can be rotated to allow for floor/wall or ceiling install. As for the distance between the diesel heater and the boiler: the further away the heater is the more heatloss will occur. Therefore, the closer the better. In a realistic/real world set up I would say a 1-2' distance would be perfect.
Just a heads up:
We only have a limited quantity on hand... Boilers are leaving our warehouse daily! Don't wait too long if you are in a rush.

Quattro

I assume the 120V heating element has a standard threaded fitting and that you could swap it out for a 12V/24V DC element? It would be awesome to use a DC element as a solar dump load and as the primary heat source in the summer when you wouldn't want to run the diesel heater.

Victorian

I assume the 120V heating element has a standard threaded fitting and that you could swap it out for a 12V/24V DC element? It would be awesome to use a DC element as a solar dump load and as the primary heat source in the summer when you wouldn't want to run the diesel heater.
Great question!
Modifications like the one you mentioned would void all warranty. Question would also be: how would you prevent the 12V element from overheating/ regulate the heat value? With the 110 you have the peace of mind that the thermostat will keep the water from boiling and the element from melting. Just in case your replacement heating element would allow for the water to reach the boiling point, you are eccentially would have a pressure cooker waiting to go off in your camper! The way the heater comes from the factory, it is set up prevent just that with some smart electronic and a pressure release valve (vented to the outside!).

If 12V is most important than you could also implement our other boiler option: https://expeditionupfitter.com/prod...er-for-camper?_pos=1&_psq=boiler&_ss=e&_v=1.0

llamalander

So it looks like nobody has made a small (<6 gallon) heater primarily run off engine coolant but also available with a 12v. element. It would be nice if there was a thermostat with a signal to shut off the element or actuate a bypass valve/ pump shutoff for hot coolant once the tank is at temp. A thermostat display, a mixing valve & non-return valve are always appreciated.
Where I camp there is never enough water to dump through a mechanical pressure release valve (though I still want one), and definitely never a 110v. plug. Solar-to-battery-to-inverter-to heating element is heavier than water, and I want the water more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad