Commobox build for newbie

TNSG

So, I am testing for my technician in January (drill weekend got in the way this month). I have been slowly picking up pieces parts for my box. Trying to have a nice beginners box.
012d7d2ec6d64f44aff419647d695b58.jpg
7bed057a869a792bb2870ae093dd21d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DX_FJC

Just take your time and do it right the first time around. Hamtestonline is a good place to take practice test too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TNSG

Just take your time and do it right the first time around. Hamtestonline is a good place to take practice test too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Using the Ham Study app. Has all the latest question pool and tracks my progression through the material.
The attached pic is my design basis.
c003be4d066bf46c2bbc1b86ec4549bc.jpg
aacbfb873d51a797712b823a7e16f15c.jpg

TNSG

Good work on passing the exam!
Thanky! I am not a complete newbie to commo, but we work differently in the TNSG. I am xfring from G1 (rank and ribbon) to a MRP BN as an CO/XO and wanted to really get legit since I have met a few HAM operators near me and would like to do some contests with them. Kids will be rolling to college and I think it is pretty awesome to have an ability to communicate across the globe at your fingertips!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Clay

Adventurer
It's a fun and challenging hobby with tons of rewards for figuring things out. I really enjoy it. General is where it's at. HF is the best, and digital modes are really fun. Don't stop at Tech!

TNSG

It's a fun and challenging hobby with tons of rewards for figuring things out. I really enjoy it. General is where it's at. HF is the best, and digital modes are really fun. Don't stop at Tech!

No sir! I have the HamStudy.org app on my iPad and phone. Unfreaking believable! I take tests and it tracks my weak points. Really worth the $3 or $4 bucks I paid for it! It has all 3 classes plus a ton of FCC and Canadian.

Clay

Adventurer
The apps really have made studying easier. I wish they had them when I was testing.

What's the plan with the common box? What radio do you plan to run?

TNSG

I have the icom IC7000. The TNSG is the All Volunteer arm of the TN Military Dept. That being said, although we are a state agency, 90% of all equipment is on the individual soldier. We train as MRP Teams, Mission Response Teams. Commo, ICS and Med soldiers.
Just seems like if I can learn and do, why would one not?

TNSG

9c2db26b53f04825e1836020b7e4db32.jpg

Grabbed me a toy while waiting on some parts to finish my commo box! Ordered the 3800mAH battery and a Nagoya 771 whip antenna.
Not a Kenwood or a Falcon but not too shabby.

TNSG

Hey man that is a great looking setup! Are you going to one of the local Field Day this weekend?
No sir. Friends wedding tonight, son's Graduation/good luck in the air force shindig tomorrow. I would like to do more ham work but I spend most of my time on the TN State Guard freqs training. Similar world but a little different.

jbird1

No sir. Friends wedding tonight, son's Graduation/good luck in the air force shindig tomorrow. I would like to do more ham work but I spend most of my time on the TN State Guard freqs training. Similar world but a little different.

That is cool. I do not know anyone these days directly with the state guard outside of a two guys I did some private security work years ago. They both stepped away from it to pursue other interests. I am wanting to start my box build asap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design