Continue to build or bail?

Taylor1

Observer
Looking for some input; opinions and personal accounts welcome. I'm at transition with the current rig. Do I sell/ part out to fund a new to me more modern project or continue to rebuild to better suit needs.

Its a 1985 4runner low budget camping crawling creation with a 1988 5.0 HO AOD swap. Currently on 35s mud terrains and approx 6 inch leaf spring lift. Looking to increase the on road/creature comfort while maintaining similar trail capability.

Cons:
No ac currently
Leaf spring ride quality
Lacks Road trip storage / cup holders
2 doors
Floor firewall leaks due to rust
Top window gaskets also leak
High miles 280k Toyota 190k ford engine

Pros:
Common stock replacement parts
Endless ford and Toyota aftermarket
First gen 4runner "cool factor"
I've had it almost 9 years and know every inch of its history.
No payments

Do I take on basically full restoration or move on at this point? What do you think?

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I am at a similar crossroads with my 3rd Gen 4Runner. What keeps me in my current rig is the title, anything else newer 4x4 would be buying a debt and the debt would limit what I can do to personalize the vehicle. And don't do debt... debt is bad... m'kay?

Taylor1

Observer
Well said about the d word. Paid for is gong in the pro section.

I'm pretty confident I can sell the 85 and get into a local (North Carolina) stock 3rd gen without losing money. Start a fresh build on something that has less 30 year old car problems... and smells with all the summer rain we've had.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Us Toyota guys can tend to be overly-loyal to our old rigs...

I know that parting with my old T-100 earlier this summer was like putting down a beloved dog. But upgrading to my Tundra has been terrific. In retrospect, I probably should have done it sooner. I let some good $$ chase bad $$...

I say go forward and don't bind yourself to issues that you simply can't overcome in some cases.

And if you can possibly keep keep the old rig for bombing around, then do that too.

austintaco

Explorer

I know that parting with my old T-100 earlier this summer was like putting down a beloved dog. But upgrading to my Tundra has been terrific. In retrospect, I probably should have done it sooner. I let some good $$ chase bad $$...

I say go forward and don't bind yourself to issues that you simply can't overcome in some cases.

And if you can possibly keep keep the old rig for bombing around, then do that too.

Having a backup rig when working on one is so helpful. Just make sure it's always ready to go when you before you tear into the new one. I have been guilty of doing that and having to ride my bike to the parts store to get one moving.

You can't beat the lines of a classic Toyota. The only thing about your current setup that you would want to address is the rust. How bad is it? My 84 has almost 300 K on the chassis, and has a newer engine with about 30K on it. Cupholders and window gaskets are easy fixes, its the rust that will get ya.

Taylor1

Observer
It's not a rust bucket by any means. Full I've cut and welded in donor sheet metal in the passenger rear behind the factory rock guard plastic.

You can't see the inner cowl rust that is leaking into the floor plans and around windshield. I'll have to split factory spot welds or cut an access hole to fix and 're seal everything. Remove and replace the windshield as part of the deal.
uploadfromtaptalk1408718504761.jpg

Taylor1

Observer
Should note this is not a daily driver. I dd a 2004 wrx wagon 5 speed 185k. The 4runner shares the two car garage time with a 1969 cougar and 1980 xs850, both running at the moment. The cougar needs body work rust repair as well as paint.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It depends on what you personally want, but I have no plans whatsoever to replace the '85. It's exactly everything I like and can't get any more. I love cranking the manual steering and the windows, twisting the manually-locking hubs, rowing through the slots in the W56 and bouncing over the bumps. I would be bored out of my mind with anything more modern and I know I would regret the switch.

The 3rd-gen is a great vehicle, but it lost a lot of its character from the 1st and 2nd gens. I think I'd have a hard time forming a bond with a 3rd gen or newer, but that's just me.

Last edited:

SIZZLE

Pro-party
That's a cool truck. If it does what you want it to do and you don't mind working on it, then keep it.

It sounds like you got four high mileage vehicles to maintain. It might be time to thin the fleet to free up cash and time to complete the rest.

clandr1

Adventurer
With that many miles, and you needing some fairly costly repairs/items (A/C components might run you a grand alone) I'd decide if you'd rather keep pouring money into an aging truck, or if you'd rather save up and buy a newer, more modernized rig with the features you're looking for. In the meantime, enjoy the '85 as it is, and when you have the money saved, sell it, and buy what you really want. Don't go into debt by financing a non-DD.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
My 2-bits: Without knowing what your family or financial situation is (kids??? Wife???) Honestly, IF you love the 1st Gen and can get around the 2dr. issue (my new build is on a 95 2nd Gen platform because my wife and I REALLY want 4 doors) I say keep her. If she's not literally Swiss-cheese and not your DD, then it sounds like you've got a great base for a wheeler/expo rig. We have an old Double mattress sized futon that folds over double up behind the front seats (I have the rear seat bottoms removed and it's been a "2-seater" for many years now) and then we use Pelican cases/Action Packers to load out the rest of the gear... Pull the boxes, even here in the wet NW and flip the mattress down and we've got a cabin in the woods wherever we go. Personally, had we not decided that the 4drs was a way better deal for us I'd have put my Diesel in the 1st Gen cause I think the trucks are the epitome of "good looking 4wd's", and the removable top is not only awesome (as much fun as any topless Wrangler ever has been) but they also leave a really neat option to build a camper body to drop onto it if you were ever so inclined to do so. Also, as crazy as this may sound, I've done a rear leaf-swap on the new 2nd Gen and am running OME leaves up front with the SAS as well. I may be an odd-duck, but I've been driving trucks with OME leafs for a LONG time now (from my 1st Gen to my HJ75 Ute in Australia) and I don't mind the ride quality one bit. It's not a modern style truck ride, but the payload capacity and the overall simplicity are, to me, assets going into the bush, and there are still plenty of YJ's and FJ's out there with leafs all the way round that folks are happy to drive cross country in. That however is down to how it suits YOU and your body, not me and mine so...

on the other hand, a 1st Gen Tundra does have a certain appeal to it and frankly were I not waist deep in my own "dream build" and looking for more fuel econ then the Tundra can eek out with bigger tires, equipment and payloads/load-outs, I'd likely have gone down that road too, or maybe a 3.4/5sp/locker equiped 3rd Gen 4Runner or early gen QC Taco). There's a lot of options, but I'm not seeing that your truck has THAT much going wrong with it currently. If you can do the work yourself 9which it sounds like you can), fix the little bits that are causing trouble and wait and see if the engine holds.

Like you say, It's not your DD, and if you actually use the capability the truck has, you're not going to necessarily be happy just by buying a new truck. Those old SFA 4Runners can be real trail monsters and with a V8, you're likely not hurting for usable power and those old Ford 5.0's were pretty solid engines. These were trucks from a different time and are easier to work on then newer truck by a significant measure. Nothing wrong with the newer trucks, and their "newer-ness" certainly makes them less of a maintenance issue so it's sort of a balancing act comparison between your needs/wants and since you know the 1st Gen, you have to take a long hard look and be painfully honest with yourself as to whether it's REALLY looking like it's gonna be a troublesome truck (and how long will it take to become an issue) or if you're just feeling like maybe the truck doesn't fit your needs/or you want something newer (maybe you don't like the leaf-sprung ride)... It's also looks to be built out pretty well as it is, so it's not like you're having to do a LOT to it from the looks of things.

So, after all that rambling (sorry, I have a gift for gab aye :smilies27: ), I guess I feel like it's not dying NOW, so you're really not up against a wall with it and it's not your DD so... maybe hang onto it and do some "soul searching" examination of the truck and then maybe go test-drive some other trucks you think might be a good replacement for her and see if they make you feel more like selling the truck and if that works out for you financially. It's an SFA 1st Gen... it won't be hard to sell, rust or no, IF you do decide to sell her.

Funny you should say that... I took my 1st Gen (@ 300 "+ a LOT more" K miles) in to fix an oil-leak I've been chasing for a while and got a call yesterday "I think it might be time" (motor mounts and hoses got soaked in oil and the harmonic balancer/oil-pump are all kinds of screwed up)... I literally felt the same way I did when we put our Bernese Mtn. Dog down 2 years ago. BUT, I'm gonna fix the leak and then work on the other bits myself now that I know where she's got issues. I've had this truck since 2 months after my wife and I started dating ten years ago (bought to replace my "way too fast for your own good" MKII Jetta GLi of the time) and frankly it's been all over the country, hauled rafting gear everywhere for me, been a make-shift ambulance several times, and it's still my DD/Work rig.

NOT driving it has been like loosing a limb and having to drive an XJ in it's stead it like having been beaten over the head with that same limb (I've had several XJ's and to say I "hate" them -aside from the 4.0L- is as big an understatement as exists). Fortunately I have the Diesel build in the hopper, but with it not moving along at the pace I'd hoped it would I'm getting to be in between a rock and a hard place...

That said, I still find myself looking at 1st Gen QC Tundras and thinking "THAT would be a REALLY good truck for me"... I'm really excited to get my

Taylor1

Observer
Sizzle, clandr and 4rescue covered the situation well.

The whole fleet needs routine maintenance and repair, but much less than I would pay monthly to get into a consolidated trail capable daily driver 2010+ 4runner trail edition under 60k miles.

I'm 27, mechanical engineer. I own my home, living with girlfriend of 3 years. I've got six months to pay on the WRX and some lingering college CC debt.

Taylor1

Observer
I've got the tinkering adventure combo bug. They are both cash funded at this point. Keeping the tinkering and repair budget under control frees up the snowboard MTB trip funds.

Taylor1

Observer
The consensus here is reassuring my own thoughts.

I daily drove a 99 sr5 5 Speed highlander for a year between a 2006 mazdaspeed6 and the wrx. It lacked the character of the first gen and the fun to drive aspect of the turbo awd. It leaked at a sun roof seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal