Crazy Fix for Sequoia Rear Window Roll-down

kjp1969

Explorer
This is pretty crazy- the rear window on my wife's '04 Sequoia stopped rolling down a year or so ago. I finally got around to researching a fix and found this TSB, along with forum posts indicating that there may be nothing wrong with the window motor, that just removing a couple of parts and a spring (item 14) would fix the problem. So I dug into the window regulator, removed the parts and spring, and voila- window works like it was new. I couldn't figure out what the parts did, either. They bolted up and put tension on part of the regulator, but not much at all. Its like Toyota put these things in by mistake, and the TSB fixes their mistake. Go figure.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-02-25_151840_01_seq.pdf

iigs

Observer
Weird. It looks like that spring is supposed to do something for the old regulator/motor but not the new one. It's obviously not critical, I guess...

On a related note, we had a problem with our '06 where the rear wiper and washer stopped working. I was kind of frustrated/bummed about it because it was in a sequence of other events/repairs with the vehicle including a new battery. Come to find out you have to roll down + up the rear glass once after replacing the battery to inform the ('05+ at least) rear window ECU that the window is in an appropriate position and it's ok to actuate the wiper.

kjp1969

Explorer
Weird. It looks like that spring is supposed to do something for the old regulator/motor but not the new one. It's obviously not critical, I guess...

No, that's what's crazy, I DIDN'T have to replace the motor. Just pull out those parts and poof, the window works again.

jpseven

Thanks much

This is pretty crazy- the rear window on my wife's '04 Sequoia stopped rolling down a year or so ago. I finally got around to researching a fix and found this TSB, along with forum posts indicating that there may be nothing wrong with the window motor, that just removing a couple of parts and a spring (item 14) would fix the problem. So I dug into the window regulator, removed the parts and spring, and voila- window works like it was new. I couldn't figure out what the parts did, either. They bolted up and put tension on part of the regulator, but not much at all. Its like Toyota put these things in by mistake, and the TSB fixes their mistake. Go figure.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-02-25_151840_01_seq.pdf

Thanks for the easy fix. Very strange, but worked like a champ. The rear window on my Sequoia has been driving me nuts for quite a while. Worked for a while and then quits for a while. I would note that on the 2001, maybe others, that once you have the metal cover off, you can remove the two bolts for the brake that you are removing and then use a long thin screwdriver to fish the brake out from behind the frame. No need to mess with the regulator and window glass.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have the same problem but a different (maybe) perspective. My 2005 Sequoia rear windows and other features stopped functioning (defrost, wiper, window). I took it apart again, and after reading a post that outlined the 3 bolts holding the motor are T25, I removed them with the intent of testing the motor. My window has never had the spring brake assembly outlined in the bulletin. So I knew I had another problem. I removed the motor and and pushed the button, the motor squirmed with the torque from the motor. Hmmm, motor works but the action is stuck. The grease that was coating everything was not slippery it was STICKY. So I sprayed it with a Teflon bike live and let it sit in. Then I started removing it with a microfiber cloth, I got most of it off. The. I sprayed the travel tracks and rollers I could locate. I removed the other little metal plate on the passenger side and sprayed what I could, this track is turned around so it was a bit more difficult. I did learn that the motor is not what holds the window but the coiled spring is. I was able to manually move the window down with the motor removed. This helped me clean the other areas on the teeth and lubricate it with the Teflon spray. I reinstalled the motor (total PIA), and like that the window worked, I think the grease now glue was causing it to bind.

schaumi

Any luck with the defroster and wiper? My ‘04 has some of the same issues. My window goes down but only with the key in the lift gate not the inside switch. No rear wiper or defroster function.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have the same problem but a different (maybe) perspective. My 2005 Sequoia rear windows and other features stopped functioning (defrost, wiper, window). I took it apart again, and after reading a post that outlined the 3 bolts holding the motor are T25, I removed them with the intent of testing the motor. My window has never had the spring brake assembly outlined in the bulletin. So I knew I had another problem. I removed the motor and and pushed the button, the motor squirmed with the torque from the motor. Hmmm, motor works but the action is stuck. The grease that was coating everything was not slippery it was STICKY. So I sprayed it with a Teflon bike live and let it sit in. Then I started removing it with a microfiber cloth, I got most of it off. The. I sprayed the travel tracks and rollers I could locate. I removed the other little metal plate on the passenger side and sprayed what I could, this track is turned around so it was a bit more difficult. I did learn that the motor is not what holds the window but the coiled spring is. I was able to manually move the window down with the motor removed. This helped me clean the other areas on the teeth and lubricate it with the Teflon spray. I reinstalled the motor (total PIA), and like that the window worked, I think the grease now glue was causing it to bind.

Mine had the same grease turned paste on 2nd row door latches causing the rear doors to not unlatch with the outside handle pull. Hot regions and high temps I think turned the heavy grease into a sticky paste. I used silicone spray its light weight and liquid form helped loosen and soften the hard paste like grease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal