Decision point

narkose

We want to be able to camp off road and are looking at an off road camper(eg. Opus 4, Off-grid trailers, Conqueror). We have a large family with 4-5 kids(depending on college attendance).
The struggle I am having is a decision on what tow vehicle to get. I have a preorder on a Rivian but no idea when they will actually start delivering.

So, I am wondering whether an LC100, LC200 or Toyota Sequoia would be best/adequate for this purpose. Or whether a different tow rig would be a better option?

Any thought from the experience on these forums would be appreciated.

tacollie

Glamper
I wouldn't want to tow with a Rivian. My buddy is selling his Rivian do to the lack of range while towing. He has a small trailer he was pulling. His range was 60-100 miles in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. He had to get towed a couple times. Prior to the Rivian he towed the trailer with a 2005 Frontier. They Frontier didn't handle as well but he could go a lot further.

Reactions: plh

skrypj

I wouldn't want to tow with a Rivian. My buddy is selling his Rivian do to the lack of range while towing. He has a small trailer he was pulling. His range was 60-100 miles in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. He had to get towed a couple times. Prior to the Rivian he towed the trailer with a 2005 Frontier. They Frontier didn't handle as well but he could go a lot further.

Yup. This is why I have not considered an EV truck at all. I am in Utah and some of the places I pull my trailer are too far for even my GX460 with a 23.5 gallon tank. I towed with it back from Moab yesterday and made it about 170 miles and had a little under a quarter of a tank. But there are some places where you have to drive in 90 miles each way without passing a gas station, never mind a charger, and then also have enough range for running around all weekend.

TwinStick

Explorer
They may work for urbanites if they never travel. First time they do, they will be questioning their decision. Plan on staying in a hotel every night, so you can recharge and hope nobody else beat you to it.

They would not work for us. We are rural and have a cold winter. Nobody talks much about the effect of cold weather on range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven