discovery expedition rack

toyrunner95

Explorer
hey, my brother just bought a 2003 land rover disco and he wants a roof rack like they used in the camel trophy, i dont know why its a pavement pounder, but sho knows.

does anyone know where i can get one? ive been looking and i cant find squat for the series 2.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
The company that used to make them went under and is restructuring so their are few to none on the market. Best bet is to watch Craig's, hit some local BBS's and watch the used car lots. Folks have had good luck buying racks and 16" rims from the used rigs on a lot.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
http://www.northwestparts.com/DIIVR.htm

I had one of their racks for my DI and it held up well. These have had mixed reviews, but mine was great. Still on the vehicle of the guy I sold it to as well.
Before you order from that company, do a search on Dweb. I do believe several people are having issues with the QC and customer service right now. Just looking out for you, not bashing the company b/c they do have awesome products.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
bought mine about 4 years or so ago, so I don't know what the current state of the company is ... but even back then, they got a lot of bashing for things, sloppy welds, etc ... but mine was great.

justfred

Adventurer
D1 rack fits fine

BTW, I have a D1 rack on mine, and it fits and looks fine; about 6" shorter than the roof but only a rovergeek would know the difference.

I also fabricated the clips, out of 3" flat t-plates; but I finally got around to buying the acual clips, which should be easier to put on - (from my local independent rovershop) they cost me more than the rack did (on Craigslist).

be prudent when on DWEB. Lunacy and insanity not to mention pure idiocy rules on dweb. Ethugs abound, worst website I have ever been to is dweb for anything other than a laugh and stonishment at the behavoir :bigbossHL:

I used the wilderness rack which is superior to the brown church and has more capacity. Not sure where to get it. Youmay also try roveraccessories.com I think, not sure been awhile. Or use ROvers North, the racks really aren't that much more and dont rust like the adventure rack you made reference to

good luck!

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
LOL... Dweb...:rockon:

You might want to give: http://patriotroofracks.patriothost.co.uk/ You can get them in the US at: http://www.trekoverland.com/patriot_roof_racks.htm

The yellow catches you offguard at first but then it grows on you. (You can get it in black).

I sold my Brownchurch b/c I no longer needed it. When the time comes that I will need another one, I will go for one where the sides and back come off so all that is left is a flat rack. In my experience, I have never used the side and back rails (front either) if my gear was tied down properly.

one of my favorite reasons to avoid DWEB, besides the admins there who behave online like Mike Tyson does in real life, was the post about the Richmond VA Land Rover dealer girls.

Two girls from the dealer had posted there previously not sure if they still do as you couldn't drag me to DWEB with a 20,000 lb winch. Some guy came on to the site and flamed the girls at the dealer without knowing they read the website ... he went on about how he hated the dealer etc blah blah and specific comments on the ladies. They found out who he was and now he was confronted by simply foul remarks he had made over the net and needed to find alternative sources for car repair rofl! :p :088: whOOps :coffee:

Expedition Exchange isn't far behind DWEB for stupidity but has some nice galleries. Although if you need to be talked out of a Land Rover just jump onto the technical forums on dweb, that should talk you right out of a Land Rover and into a Toyota in 2 minutes or less or the time it took Mike Tyson to finsih a fight when he was a man before he became a rabid animal :victory:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
LOL... Dweb has actually calmed down over the years but, yeah, I agree, it can be hostile at times.:sport_box I remember that thread you were talking about.

Expedition Exchange (EE) is what we call a "boutique". It's a nice site to peruse and get ideas from. And then you go and buy it cheaper elsewhere!:shakin:

david despain

Adventurer
stevenmd said:
Expedition Exchange (EE) is what we call a "boutique". It's a nice site to peruse and get ideas from. And then you go and buy it cheaper elsewhere!:shakin:

yeah nothing like a good brain rape :(

by the time you piece together your order from a half a dozen places your "savings" just went out the window.
I'm not saying everyone needs a 275$ fire extinguisher but good customer service is priceless.

david despain

Adventurer
Z O O R O P A said:
one of my favorite reasons to avoid DWEB, besides the admins there who behave online like Mike Tyson does in real life, was the post about the Richmond VA Land Rover dealer girls.

Two girls from the dealer had posted there previously not sure if they still do as you couldn't drag me to DWEB with a 20,000 lb winch. Some guy came on to the site and flamed the girls at the dealer without knowing they read the website ... he went on about how he hated the dealer etc blah blah and specific comments on the ladies. They found out who he was and now he was confronted by simply foul remarks he had made over the net and needed to find alternative sources for car repair rofl! :p :088: whOOps :coffee:
you must not have been over there recently. KVT hasnt posted in quite a while and axle and ho rarely post and theirs are usually productive and informative.
that richmond chicks thread is what 5yrs or more old? it was from the "old" bbs. long before the crash at anyrate.
yes you have to wade through some of that stuff you mentioned but if you know what posts to ignore there is lots of people willing to help out with actual vehicle questions/problems. its not "family friendly" but does that make it evil?

Dmarchand

Adventurer
david despain said:
yeah nothing like a good brain rape :(

by the time you piece together your order from a half a dozen places your "savings" just went out the window.
I'm not saying everyone needs a 275$ fire extinguisher but good customer service is priceless.

I have to agree with you. The service they provide is fantastic and they stand by everything they sell. Everything is sent efficiently and you always know what you are paying in shipping, and that your package a) will arrive, and b) will be well packed.

EE is doing it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1