Dugway Geode Beds

ckkone

Explorer
My sister and brother-in-law were in UT from WI, we decided to take a quick day trip out to the Dugway Geode Beds.

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

P1040197.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

Moody

Needs to get out more
Nice! I wish we could have made it. I had a hell of a paper to write for school that needed major work to be presentable.

Had that backhoe moved things around a little bit? Last time we were out there you really had to work to find them.

Jferg

Observer
Those are great pictures. Thank you for showing them.

Are you allowed to keep the geodes after you find them?

cruisertoy

Explorer
Last time I was there the backhoe had dug a 6ft wide x 10 ft deep trench that was literally solid geodes. Big ones the size of cantaloupe. There was a scout group there pulling them out as fast as they could until the hermit told them to get out. That trench could have collapse easily. We dig in virgin soil and came out with a few dozen softball size geodes. Hard work getting through the 1.5ft layer of clay but the kids had fun.

We need to do a trip out to the Tribobite beds near Delta. My kids found a few in a pile of shale at the geode beds and loved them. Some one must have brought the shale there and left it.

ckkone

Explorer
We need to do a trip out to the Tribobite beds near Delta.

I'd be down for that, would also like to try out Topaz Mountain. It was slim pickings out there, only found one large softball sized one the rest were a bit bigger than a golf ball. Made for a fun day anyway, and we got to see some wildlife on the way back.

stolenheron

Explorer
its non-venomous, it reminded me of a "bull snake" aka pine-snake aka gopher snake depending on the region. no idea what species it is (dont know the locale) but your guess on that was as good as mine.

buy a local field guide so you can the kids can identify all the little critters. that is the first thing i do for the kids i teach on herpetology. show what is good, and what is dangerous and why. if you give them knowledge, then ignorance and fear of things like snakes will disappear, at least thats my philosophy....also i'm hands on. it wouldnt matter if its poisonous or not, i will find a way to pick it up safely lol

Campbell Clan

Burried

When I was a kid my dad took out a scout troop there and there were 2 scouts and three leaders burried including my dad luckily we were able to dig them out of the 5 feet of muck and get them to the army base for some first aid. Four broken ribs and a scare of a liftime was the worst that came of it.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I'd be down for that, would also like to try out Topaz Mountain. It was slim pickings out there, only found one large softball sized one the rest were a bit bigger than a golf ball. Made for a fun day anyway, and we got to see some wildlife on the way back.

I've never been a fan of Topaz mountain. Even the pieces that friends showed me looked like very small pieces of glass. I've collected out there a couple times and other than a good time camping I didn't come away with anything too cool.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Nice pics. When we lived in Utah years ago we often did the Pony Express route. Fun and scenic. Always loved stopping in at the Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge and going birding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1