expedition prep opinions....

SixLug

Explorer
Ordered a snorkel...

Ok guys, and gals...I want your opinions. Im trying to prepare my 93 4runner for expedition travel. So far it has: Warn manual hubs on stock IFS, Marlin Crawler sliders, self-made rear bumper/tire carrier, All Pro rear coil spacers, 4.56 gears, t'bars cranked, 31" BFG Land Terrains, 33" AT's for off roading, Surco roof rack that has the sides and top bar cut off (basically a flat rack now), and two sets of lights from wally-world on the rack, a cobra cb ceiling mounted, fire extingusher mounted on floor behind console, Hi Lift jack, spare parts, 3.slow (brand new Jasper Reman, not rebuilt, that has only 25K that I put on it), auto tranny, ant thats all i can think of right now.

What will be done this Christmas: Lockright rear locker, black 15" steel wheels, new longer rear shocks.

What I wanted to do, but want your advice on:
MILD solid axle swap, as in under 4 inches, for simplicity, reliabilty, strenght, etc; no larger than 33" tires but really I dont even want that big, 4.88's or 5.29s for whatever tire i get, front arb or other manual locker, onboard air with tank, add a ladder to my rear bumper (swing out part) to access roof, add a jerry can holder maybe to the bumper, Self made front bumper modeled after ARB, Mile Marker 9000-9500 winch, dual battery setup, new roof rack modeled after the one at www.bundubasher.com, roof tent, snorkel, replacing rear spacers with OME springs, or stock LC80 springs, support equip. etc.

What do you think about the SAS, do you think I should wait on this or not worry about it altogether, or do that next....I was planning on it this summer, but what do you think. Also, opinions and anything else on the other current and future mods would be most appreciated.....thanks a bunch guys...if I think of anything else, Ill post it....you guys rock....Alex

Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
Sounds like a comprehensive list! Only things I would add would be: some sort of packing system unless you already have one -- drawers, boxes, whatever. And an awning. Nothing like shade when you live in the sun!

cheers

60seriesguy

Adventurer
4.88's or 5.29's with 33's is not going to yield the low RPM's needed for expeditions. Remember, "Range is the Game" when it comes to expeditions. On the SAS, unless you'e going to be doing tougher trails while on expeditions or plan to really overload the truck, I don't know that I'd bother, there's a lot of big ticket items on your comprehensive list that your $$$ can go towards *first*.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Yea I would skip the sas myself for now. When I first got started that was#1 on my list. Now after wheeling alot I do not know if it will happen to this vehicle at all. I would also for now skip the front locker and put an ARB in the rear.

Personally I would focus on outfitting the truck. Fridge, awning, storage drawers, navigation etc. Sounds like you have got a great start. I'd start with armor in the outfitting arena. If you are a fabricator and have access to steel cheap then build you own, if there is a specific function you are looking for. If you are just trying to save money however I do not know if it is really that much of a saving to build your own from scrath vs buying an ARB bumper. When I built my front bumper I had almost as much in materials as the cost of an ARB. Plus about 8 days of my life since we were working from some rough sketches of what I had in my head.

Good luck lets see some pics.

Scott Brady

Founder
First: Congrats on owning a great truck and having the desire to explore. Too many people live their lives glued to a TV, and never experience adventure for themselves. :victory:

I am going to touch on a few concepts here:

SAS: I would not recommend doing that. An expedition vehicle needs to be reliable and serviceable above all else. A SAS will require custom pieces that cannot be easily sourced in another country, or even in remote USA. Whereas a stock Toyota suspension piece can be shipped into just about anywhere.

Tire Size: I like the 31x10.5 for your platform. The 93 4Runner is only a 101" WB. Put a mild 1-2" lift and call it good. Spend the money on a rear locker.

You should concentrate on reliability and camping comforts above all else. This is your home on wheels, so it needs to be a nice place to spend time.

I also started a new thread on how to select axle gearing

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Save the $$ on the SAS - and invest in an Engel fridge freezer - this one single investment will guarantee years of pleasurable expedition travel. ( that and your second battery :) )

I am presently running an 04 Tacoma with IFS - I can get where I want to go and back ;)

SixLug

Explorer
the thing about axle gearing, here's why I was going to do what I was....my truck came with an auto and 4.56 gears, which means it had 225/75R15's on it from the factory. The 4runners that came with 31"s from the factory and an auto, had 4.88's. And if I were going to run 33"s permenantly (i have a set, but dont run them on the road), I was going to put in 5.29's...the next step up...to keep my RPM's the same as they had been. I know that sounds freakin low, but they come with lower gears to start with.

As for the SAS, I think you guys are probably right....Ill spend the money on something else. If, LATER I want to, then I will, but for now, Ill wait on that.

The locker situation: I know that the LockRight isn't "real", but thats what I asked for for Christmas from my pop, and at 19 years old, I cant afford much more for right now....when I want to move up to a selectable, and CAN afford to do so, Ill up grade, but this is a good start for me, plus I can install it myself.

Thank you guys a ton for your input...if you have anything else, dont hesitate to write it up for me....Oh, what do you guys think of that roofrack on bundubasher's website?...its about my only option for a full length rack on my runner...

Have a good'n...Alex

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Ditch the locker.....put the $$ towards a 6K-9K Milemarker.
When you want a locker, save and do your gears with a rear ARB. While they're cheap, the lockright is a bit of a bear in the snow and sometimes on the street...I've actually traded a lockright for stock spider gears before 'cuz I was so sick of the handling....

Ditto on the SAS...too much for an exped. rig.

Big ditto on the fridge....I should have done this earlier...

Personally, I've never needed 33s, just a mild 2" lift to get my 80s big ******** in the air a bit more...

-H-

SixLug

Explorer
Dont have a bumper for a winch...thats coming later.

Im getting a lockright cuz thats what I can get, and every little bit helps...plus, I really dont see much point in regearing if Im staying with 31"s....at least not for now.

As for the fridge...Ive heard thats a good early investment....maybe soon. I just want to get my vehicle a little more capable soon, so I think thats what Ill work on, and then prep the support stuff...

And one last time...what does anyone think about that roofrack setup...

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The more I mess with roof racks, the more I'm moving towards a flat rack setup like the one you are looking at. I've found that I lose 20-30% of my gas mileage just by putting my big con-fer rack on the roof...

The design looks good!

As for the locker, I've always gone with a winch/bumper prior to any lockers, with the idea that I'll be able to winch out/up/over most obstacles that may be problematic. With the locker...when you're stuck, you're usually pretty stuck...and the locker won't necessarily help you out of the predicament...

The lockrights are a good value for the $$, and I've seen them perform flawlessly. They're pretty nice for folks who don't drive or wheel in the snow.

Cheers!

-H-

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Exrunner said:
Dont have a bumper for a winch...thats coming later.

Im getting a lockright cuz thats what I can get, and every little bit helps...plus, I really dont see much point in regearing if Im staying with 31"s....at least not for now.

I just got a LockRight installed and the difference is amazing to me. On-road, with an automatic transmission, I can barely tell it is there, but off-road it is absolutely amazing.

But, as Hilltopper said, it can get you into places that will be a bear to get out of, so that puts a winch up much, much higher on the necessity list.

Good luck, Jeff

SixLug

Explorer
my 4Runner is an Auto too, so thats good news from you. As for the winch situation....if it came down to it, Ill just use my HiLift as a winch. Maybe slow and a pain, but I have one already. Thanks for all the help guys...Alex

Oh yeah...I hear you Hltoppr about the gas mileage thing....I have a surco up there now, and I actually cut the top bar and flat plate things all off....so basically its just the lower frame with a floor....very flat and helped by gas mileage a lot....I was surprised how much it did actually help. Also, I tilt my lights back on the highway for a little extra help. Seems to work out pretty good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal