First Day Of Winter-Desert Style

trackhead

Adventurer
Shake down trip with our new-old truck camper.......we live full time in a 35' fifth wheel for work, but we missed the days in our old pop up truck camper. With a three year old, and a wife who likes to use a toilet and shower the kid, we opted for an older 1993 Kodiak camper. It's 2,000lbs dry, and the truck handles it fine. A little more tippy than the pop up we had, but I'm not a fan of slow moving, off camber, rocky terrain.......I'd rather get out and ride my bike. So this camper seems perfect for us.

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Awesome scenery!! Awesome pictures!! What's the high jagged Matterhorn-like peak in the distance? Volcanic spire is it?

Byways

Adventurer
I so enjoy seeing stories like this that spotlight the family side of backcountry travel in an off-highway-capable outfit like yours. More children should be raised like that. Keep it up!

trackhead

Adventurer
I so enjoy seeing stories like this that spotlight the family side of backcountry travel in an off-highway-capable outfit like yours. More children should be raised like that. Keep it up!

Thanks........it's a lot more fun that having your kid stare at an iPad all day long.

trackhead

Adventurer
saguaro lake is beautiful in the winter months. no crowds, no parties.

I can't imagine how heinous it is in the summer. The place is somewhat trashed though......the Salt River is a 7 mile long trash heap from all the tubers, and the shores of the lake are trashed from presumably boaters, etc. It's really a shame the Tonto NF has basically turned the Salt River area into a big festering dumpster.

incognito

Adventurer
hy,
2000 lbs dry weight? that's the lightest hard side fiberglass camper I saw. is it well insulated?
that's a lot less than my 3000 lbs Bigfoot 1500. what kind of mpg you have on highway?
thanks
incognito

I have been to that area before, but not with a camper. I loved camping in that area as a young adult. Kind of nice to see the look on the boaters faces when they see you show up in a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1