Four Wheel Camper Title?

GXPlore!

Hi All,
Curious about something…I see some people posting their campers for sale and stating “title in hand” or what not. But in Arizona, we don’t get titles for slide in truck campers. At least I’m told that’s the case.
What’s the scoop?

crazysccrmd

Observer
Thanks Captain Obvious! LOL
What I mean is, for those in states that title them, how do they get a title if they buy one from a state that doesn’t give titles?
P.S. just giving you a hard time. Not meant as insult.

All good. My experience with that for a trailer coming from a state that didn’t title them to a state with titles was pretty simple. Just required a standard title application with the bill of sale and any supporting documents and then I was issued a new title.

All should come new with a Manufacturer‘s Statement of Origin (MSO) which is surrendered to the state DMV when titled. If a camper is not titled, you should ask for the MSO so that you can easily title it if required. Talk to your DMV about what’s needed if there is no MSO, but having one saves some amount of hassle.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
To captain obvious et al, you can mso and hand write a title with pertinent information, if it makes you feel better get it notarized, it will make both parties feel good about themselves.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Why would a state title a camper? It doesnt touch the ground. Do they also title fiberglass toppers? What about roof tents? Tonneau covers?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Why would a state title a camper? It doesnt touch the ground. Do they also title fiberglass toppers? What about roof tents? Tonneau covers?
I can't speak to all states of course but some consider it becoming an RV when they have a bed, kitchen and/or bathroom. Could be a habitable space vs utility question. Just spitballing. Sometimes their weight determines this. I know Iowa is this way for trailers anyway. A trailer under 2000 lbs isn't titled but over is.

Speaking of Iowa, I bought a very small pop up trailer from Iowa that did not have a title but in Colorado all trailers are titled. It's a standard process by the State Patrol and DMV to inspect and title them. All it takes is a VIN (or serial number equivalent) verification and a form, it's straightforward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1