Fuel Issues

NorCalTRD

I have searched all over the Internet and can't find a solid answer to my issue.

I have an 04 Tacoma, 3.4 5VZ-FE V6. It has been supercharged since new (I purchased the truck with 5,000 miles and the blower already installed). I installed the URD fuel upgrade kit about 50,000 miles ago (I think). That kit came with a Walbro 190LPH fuel pump. I used to drive my truck daily, but got another vehicle years ago to commute. I really only put maybe 1,000-1,500 miles a year on it.

A little over a year and a half ago, I started having trouble getting my truck to start. I originally left some lights on and thought i drained the battery. Recharged the battery and the engine turned over, but still didn't start. I didn't want to diagnose the issues right then so I just left it. Went out the next day, it started right on up.

Didn't think about it and kept driving my truck like normal. Went out camping, found my campsite, setup camp and chilled waiting for a buddy to show up. My buddy shows up, I go to start my truck, engine turns but does not run. Push my truck out of the way, and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Try to start it when we are ready to leave, still won't run. Have my buddy pull start me, and starts on up. Turn my truck off after getting off the trail, and it starts up after.

Long story short, this becomes a bit of a pattern. So I start putting off trips (not something I want to do). After moving to a new house and rebuilding most of the top end of my engine (even longer story) replacing both timing belt and water pump. Put everything back together and fires right on up! Let the truck idle for a while, then go to get dinner, and you guessed it. The engine turns over but won't start. Call my buddy and gives me a pull start again, engine starts.

I finally figure that the fuel pump needs replacing. Replace the pump, truck is starting like a champ! A few months go by and everything is running smooth. Long trips, short trips, starts every time. Then it happens again. Engine turns over, but won't start.

I want to solve this problem. I have replaced the wires, plugs, fuel filter, and the fuel pump. I have spark, I just don't want to keep replacing the pump on a bi-yearly basis. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to look into?

Thank you for any help.

(none)

Adventurer
So you are saying when you try to start the truck, the starter is engaging, the engine actually is turning over, but just never catches and starts? no sputter or anything? Seems odd the motor would turn over fine and not start, but then you were able to bump start it. Bump starting usually only works when the motor isn't turning over.

If the motor is turning over, you need 3 things: air, fuel and spark. You can (mostly) safely assume you have air. You still have sparkplug wires, right? Next time it's doing it, pull off one of the sparkplug wires, insert a spare plug and ground it against the valvecover or intake or something metal and have someone crank it while you look for spark. If you don't have spark, that's where you start. If you do have spark, pull one of the plugs in the motor and see if they are wet with fuel, they should be after seconds of starting with no firing.

I'm no expert on those motors, could be a failing coilpack, cam/crank position sensor, or still an issue with the fuel pump (such as the relay, which can be jumped to test it out). First step is seeing what your motor isn't getting.

NorCalTRD

I know I have spark. I forgot to mention that I've had my buddy help me by spraying intake cleaner directly into the engine when I've tried to get it started. It runs for 2 seconds, then dies again. I'm trying to figure out if I need a better pump, if this was just a bad pump, or if I am doing something wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1