Goldwing Question

Rexsname

Explorer
I have been offered a 1982 GL1100. It is a 'naked' Goldwing. It was at the shop last summer and they did everything to it. Timing belt, water pump, new hoses, heads reworked etc. I dont know enough about them except that I am impressed. Opinions?

REX

Rexsname

Explorer
Oh, yeah.......I know the reputation of it being an "Old Man" bike and that it wont be any good off road. I wont be going off road......and there is alot more grey in my hair than there used to be

REX

fairweather

Observer
I bought an 84 Goldwing for 850$ in 2002. Made sure the brakes worked then rode it to Cape Spear Newfoundland and back (from Colorado, 9k miles) without a single issue, then sold it for 1200$. Owned it for less than 2 months but was one of the best purchases I've ever made, they are great bikes and the older ones have more clearance, you'd be surprised where you can get one.

Rexsname

Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply, After seeing all the work the shop did to it I feel pretty confident that I wont have problems with it. Still need to talk with Carrie, Hope she calls soon!

REX

frgtwn

Adventurer
Be prepared to spend a lot more time at the gas station. That ride will bring out the yackers. Old guys will have to tell you stories, young guys will tell you what they would do if it was theirs. And, everyone will have questions.

Oh, and I have stories, too. It seems like I saw a picture of a GW with BFG ATs. Just think- one tire choice, two rigs.

Have fun.
Dale

njtaco

Explorer
I put about 10K miles on my 1981 GL1100I. Comfortable, reliable, and about 30 MPG on the highway, IIRC.

I sold it when I got married to buy a washer and dryer. Regretted it ever since!

They are easy to ride with a nice low center of gravity.

How many miles on the one you are looking at?

As far as being an "old man's bike", I was 25 when I had mine. I went to a Goldwing specific RTE, and was BY FAR the youngest one there.

Drumboy

There's a RR on advrider.com about a dude that road from NC to Alaska on a bike similar to that one, and he didn't particularly stick to the pavement all the time.

ravenranger

+1 on the old Wing. They are pretty much bullet-proof and, IMO, the naked ones (Interstates) where the best! They are heavy beasts but do surprisingly well on graded dirt b/c of their low c-o-g and can hardly be beat for comfort (even by more modern bikes) for long hauls.

njtaco

Explorer
+1 on the old Wing. They are pretty much bullet-proof and, IMO, the naked ones (Interstates) where the best! They are heavy beasts but do surprisingly well on graded dirt b/c of their low c-o-g and can hardly be beat for comfort (even by more modern bikes) for long hauls.

Minor correction...The GL1100I (Interstate) was a fully faired (by Honda) with a stereo, hard bags and trunk with matching locks, and IIRC, mine had a factory (Hondaline) CB radio. I think the Aspencade was one level "dressier" than the Interstate in the 1100.

The "Standard" model resembled a 1970's CB750, with a flat four engine instead of four across. I agree the "Naked" Standards look terrific, and if I found one today in good condition, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. They are, in a way, like an early Valkyrie.

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
Can you tell me the title of that Ride report please?

REX

Way back when (15 plus years ago) I recall a guy taking a similar GL1100 (maybe a GL1000) to Tierra Del Fuego, with knobbies and all. This was before forums and blogs, but if I come across an article I'll forward it to you.

ravenranger

Minor correction...The GL1100I (Interstate) was a fully faired (by Honda) with a stereo, hard bags and trunk with matching locks, and IIRC, mine had a factory (Hondaline) CB radio. I think the Aspencade was one level "dressier" than the Interstate in the 1100.

The "Standard" model resembled a 1970's CB750, with a flat four engine instead of four across. I agree the "Naked" Standards look terrific, and if I found one today in good condition, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. They are, in a way, like an early Valkyrie.

That's right - I'd forgotten that the some of the earlier Wings came in Standard, Interstate, and Aspencade and was thinking that the Interstate was the standard non-dressed version while the Aspencade was the dresser. Regardless, they were all way out of my meager price range and the best I could do was :drool:

Smksignals

Explorer
I've always loved this picture.

Goldwing-wheelie.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal