Grand Cherokee Hemi or Diesel? - Please help me choose one

PDragon

Hi all,

This is my first post; please excuse me if this particular topic has been addressed elsewhere. I have been lurking for a while here at EP, reading build threads and trip reports. My idea is to build a setup that can double as an “affordable” expedition rig to go explore with my children on vacation; and as a light-to-medium duty weekend off-roader.

To that end, I have been reading and looking for candidates, and based on my budget/ time limitations and “perceived need” for the vehicle, I ended up looking at Grand Cherokees.

Today I found a diesel WK (2007) and got me thinking if I should buy it ASAP before is gone. To provide some context, I live in the province of Alberta, Canada; and expedition-worthy vehicles with small diesels are rare. On top of that, I found the average vehicle in Alberta is too old, with too many kilometers, too rusty, and too expensive. So when making your suggestion, please keep in mind that I am aware that I can find better deals elsewhere… but I can't take advantage of those deals in the near future.

Ok, these are the contenders – both vehicles are equally clean:

Option A
2007 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 – 3.0L Diesel, with 200,254 kilometers (Canadian version) $ 11,900 (Can$)
Pros: small diesel (better mileage, more reliable [?], is a popular Mercedes engine, etc)
Cons: small diesel (I don't know how frugal it will be loaded up with equipment, maintenance costs, etc), no Quadra-Drive II (I think is not included in the Laredo)

Option B
2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 – 5.7L Hemi, with 129,372 kilometers $ 10,888 (Can$)
Pros: Quadra-Drive II, tons of power (?), gasoline engine (common and well known in North America)
Cons: 5.7L Hemi mileage (I have asked a couple of people with trucks using this Hemi, and I only hear horror stories related to fuel consumption)

Option C
Don't buy anything. Wait until a better suited rig shows up.

My main issue with the diesel is the amount of kilometers (200,254kms) and that the engine may have not been well cared for. A strong factor is the Quadra-Drive II, which I assume would allow me to have access to a little more challenging terrain without needing a dedicated diff locker (I would not be able to afford them in the short term). That being said, I have no idea what 4x4 system the WK Laredo diesel comes with, and whatever it is it may sufficient for my immediate off-road needs.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to help me.

See you on the road,
PD

Last edited:

madmax718

Explorer
the quadra track 2 still has a very similar operation, but I believe has no LSD on either ends. It gets its LSD from "traction control" system, using its brakes to balance out its performance. Works fine for most light duty stuff, and even a bit of the rocks. You'd be surprised what these trucks can do even with two open diffs. The traction control works rather well.

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
QD2 is the excellent system....electronic lockers front and rear

QT2 is the good system....no lockers but 4LO with brake assisted traction control. You can always add an air locker.

I have the 2008 CRD with QT2 and it is sufficient for everything I have done. You have almost 400 torque,,,no need to worry about a loaded vehicle. The engine will handle anything you can throw at it.

With 200K I would be worried about the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). I imagine it is getting full of soot and it is an expensive item to replace...

Check out my build thread below for more details on the diesel. I also run a tune from (Green Diesel Engineering) GDE...which increases HP and Torque while giving me consistent fuel economy numbers in the low to mid 20's with 32 inch tires, lift and driving 70+ mph.

If you IM me I can provide you some websites for more info on the diesel.

Also check out the write up on Expedition Portal

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/4x4/jeep/1987-vfotw-diesel-grand-cherokee-wk.html

Last edited:

PDragon

Thanks for the prompt reply guys!

scootr29, already subscribed to your thread! I couldn't find the trim level of your truck. what trims come with diesel and QD2?

:)

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the prompt reply guys!

scootr29, already subscribed to your thread! I couldn't find the trim level of your truck. what trims come with diesel and QD2?

:)

2007 Laredo CRD only came with QT2....Jeep introduced the QD2 to the Laredo in the 2008 model year.

Mine is a 2008 Laredo with QT2...I ordered mine in March 2008 and Jeep released QD2 in the Laredo in April 2008. I was a month to early and I could not get it changed.

wanabxtrm

Observer
I recently bought an 1 owner 08 CRD Laredo for 18.5 with ~60k miles and extended warranty. Much like you it was a partial impulse buy as there aren't many around. But I've been happy so far, it's my wife's dd handles three car seats in the back, tows easy, and gets 19-20 city 22 combined ~24 hwy stock for us (I've seen as high as high 20's on the guage under ideal conditions).

If its in good condition having just gone through the process get the CRD. If not, I'd take it only if its a gd deal, but know they are few and far between and most seam to hold onto them.

PDragon

A lot of diesel love in this forum! :)

Couple of questions:
1. I noticed that the CRD is "Trail Rated". What does it means? does it come with extra stuff, or is just a marketing gimmick?
2. How can I tell wich trans the HEMI could have (QT, QTII, QD2, etc)?

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
A lot of diesel love in this forum! :)

Couple of questions:
1. I noticed that the CRD is "Trail Rated". What does it means? does it come with extra stuff, or is just a marketing gimmick?
2. How can I tell wich trans the HEMI could have (QT, QTII, QD2, etc)?

1) It is a marketing gimmick

2) If you look at the interior center console rear of the shifter you will see a Quadra Drive II badge. If not you have OT2. Also the 4 wheel drive system is not the transmission, it is the 4x4 system. And lastly if you look at the bolt heads on the rear diff...

10 bolts = QT2

12 bolts = QD2

PDragon

Thank you all for the help. Sadly both the CRD and Hemi got sold by the time I made my mind up. At least know I know what to look for! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1