HAHA! FWC are sweet!

oly884

Ok, first off, it kicks so much butt that it would hurt your head if i tried to explain it.

It drives GREAT, center of gravity is so low that you would think it's just a loaded down topper (no joke)

Wind resistance is there, but not too bad thanks to the low profile roof.

All in all, i would HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest this to someone looking for a camping set up for their rig. You would not believe how much room their really is in this thing!

here are some pics, many many more to come!

DSC_9984.jpg

DSC_9983.jpg

DSC_9985.jpg

DSC_9986.jpg

DSC_9989.jpg

DSC_9987.jpg

DSC_9988.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Those are really great looking cab-overs... but I am interested, what makes them a "Four-Wheel" camper? Is that just an ironic name or did them improve a standard cab-over pop up to make it more trail freindly?

Personally, I don't like the fact that the jacks are hard mounted, a removable system would make much more sense IMHO. I'd hate to see the damage resulting in ripping a jack off...

oly884

cruiseroutfit said:
Those are really great looking cab-overs... but I am interested, what makes them a "Four-Wheel" camper? Is that just an ironic name or did them improve a standard cab-over pop up to make it more trail freindly?

Personally, I don't like the fact that the jacks are hard mounted, a removable system would make much more sense IMHO. I'd hate to see the damage resulting in ripping a jack off...

The jacks are removeable (i'm going to remove them after I type this)

Check out http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ they do make their campers more trail friendly. For example, my camper weighs only 500 lbs. and the center of gravity is at the height of the bedrails.

oly884

Tomorrow I'll get some inside pics for every one.

And yup, the jacks unbolt, 3 on each one. Nice and easy.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Very nice. Weight is not bad. I had thought they were a lot more, like at least 700-800lbs. I'm curious about the specs like the generator (sounds like a 1000 watt 120v unit from your sig, and the water capacity. Does it have a grey water tank too? I'd love to see interior pics too.

I'm curious what truck weighes when the camper is fully loaded with at least two passengers.

For some reason, Toyota reduced the rear weight capacity of the Tacomas verses the older trucks by about 200lbs. I wonder if part of it is the rear C-channel frame. Might be a good idea to consider Scott's frame mod. And maybe upgrade the suspension. But the Taco guys would know a lot more about those limitations than me.

I wouldn't mind seeing some interior pics too.

I really wish someone would make a camper type that could be bolted in place of the entire bed like you see in Europe a lot. But I guess that would be too model specific. Plus it is nice that you can just slide out the camper when your not using it and have full use of the bed.

One last thing. A piece of thick plastic or metal air dam that fills in the gap between the cab roof and the camper would probably go a long way in the wind resistence area.

oly884

Brian894x4 said:
Very nice. Weight is not bad. I had thought they were a lot more, like at least 700-800lbs. I'm curious about the specs like the generator (sounds like a 1000 watt 120v unit from your sig, and the water capacity. Does it have a grey water tank too? I'd love to see interior pics too.

I have a group 29 deep cycle batt that runs the 1k watt inverter. Then there is a 50 watt solar panel on the roof that charges the battery and what not. There is no water storage because I got the shell model with a couple options, so I'm going to build both a fresh and grey water tanks.

I'm curious what truck weighes when the camper is fully loaded with at least two passengers.

I'll be able to try and get that info on friday and report back.

For some reason, Toyota reduced the rear weight capacity of the Tacomas verses the older trucks by about 200lbs. I wonder if part of it is the rear C-channel frame. Might be a good idea to consider Scott's frame mod. And maybe upgrade the suspension. But the Taco guys would know a lot more about those limitations than me.

I have air bags right now and that really helps, but I have about 1500-1600 lbs of payload. So the camper is 500, then me, then gear, and so on and I'm still safe. However, yes, I am considering scott's frame mod.

I wouldn't mind seeing some interior pics too.

I'll get plenty of pics today.

I really wish someone would make a camper type that could be bolted in place of the entire bed like you see in Europe a lot. But I guess that would be too model specific. Plus it is nice that you can just slide out the camper when your not using it and have full use of the bed.

Maybe at some point I'll do that, but with this being my DD I'll keep it how it is.

One last thing. A piece of thick plastic or metal air dam that fills in the gap between the cab roof and the camper would probably go a long way in the wind resistence area.

I'm already thinking about making a "ramp" that attaches to the windshiled or door jams that pushes the air overthe gap. Like a semi.

Scott Brady

Founder
David,

You must be geeked beyond imagination! I would be...

What is cool, is that this last weekend, we had BlueFly along on a trail run in their x-cab with an Eagle attached (shell model). It did great, and actually helped the truck in places as it loaded the rear axle, aiding traction and forcing the suspension to articulate more.

Cant wait to see the camper in action!!!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Brian894x4 said:
Weight is not bad. I had thought they were a lot more, like at least 700-800lbs.

Yeah, this was very surprising to me, too. I figured they'd be heavier than that, since my WilderNest weighs almost 400 lbs.

Brian894x4

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
Yeah, this was very surprising to me, too. I figured they'd be heavier than that, since my WilderNest weighs almost 400 lbs.

Wow:Wow1: I didn't realize that that Wildernest's were that heavy. My guess is it's the fiberglass verses the aluminum frame/skin. Fiberglass canopys are really heavy.

Plus his probably doesn't have all that heavy stuff like sinks, cabinets, etc, which is cool, because you can design your interior "exactly" how you want it. If I ever were order one that's how I'd do it, so I could make the most effecient use of space and weight as possible.

Oly844, what are the two hatches on the driver's rear side of the camper for? Just curious.

oly884

Brian894x4 said:
Oly844, what are the two hatches on the driver's rear side of the camper for? Just curious.

One is actually the exhuast for the furnace. The other is the LP tank for the furnace.

Yup, the main reason I got the shell was because I have the ability to make the inside just the way I want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal