Here's why a mitsubishi montero is the best SUV to buy right now

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
FYI, I am a columnist for Trails Magazine, and I just wrote a piece on Monteros/Pajero and how they're becoming the next hot thing. (Will be published in the next issue.)

I've already seen an uptick in prices (not huge, but an uptick nonetheless), and JDM Pajero prices are definitely on the up and up.

I'm an avid reader of Jalopnik and he's one of the better contributors. That said, I sort of like our 'hidden gem' humble rep in the off-road/overland used market. I have seen the market climb a bit over the last few years since I got on the train but at least it's nothing like what seems apparent in the Disco 1/2 or 4Runner/Cruiser arenas. I know a guy that just paid almost 10k for a 2004 Disco II, arguably their worst motor, few records, high miles, otherwise stock. But the paint was nice.. That sale may have been a bit of an anomoly but they are climbing. Sheesh. I grabbed one a few years back for a minute before sobering up to the fact that if I wanna take my family out yonder via 4x4, I wanna get them back. For Sale: Disco. Grabbed the '98 Monty. On the one hand, I'd hate to see our trucks fall victim to trendy inflation but maybe more interest means more aftermarket and OEM support?

Last edited:

chadzeilenga

Yea I suppose it is double edged sword. What drew me to the Montero was that it was a great value with a low initial cost, available parts and a great reliability, but then again since I’m a new guy to the group the article was probably written about me...haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Adventure Driven Design got a little mention, that was nice of him. Damn, i need to get another Blister Fender Montero before they dry up.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I liked the ADD reference as well, my hope is that if we can get the volume up on aftermarket purchases the cost will come down. The reason that Jeep parts are so cheap is that they can do runs of 100s of parts knowing that they'll be able to sell them, when you're doing runs of 10 parts the costs are outrageous. I did some quoting for some parts the other day, and based on the dramatic difference in per-part cost it was only roughly 2-3x as much to get 100 parts vs 10 parts.

The other factor is if we can get the popularity of Monteros up then we have a better chance of getting new versions. I just saw that Mitsubishi is going back to dakar with an eclipse cross, I'm not interested in that one, but if we could get the new sport, or better yet an all new montero, that would be pretty exciting. And if the value of the old ones sky rocket I can just cash in my equity and buy a new one!

plh

Explorer
No need to compare to Jeep. FCA builds 20,000 Wranglers a month. The sweet spot of Monteros Gen 2.5 (1998 thru 2000) there were 30,813 imported to USA in those 3 years total. That was nearly 20 years ago. Statistically, there really are not more than 3,000 of those remaining road worthy.

Last edited:

Swift_45a

Observer
No need to compare to Jeep. FCA builds 20,000 Wranglers a month. The sweet spot of Monteros Gen 2.5 (1998 thru 2000) there were 30,813 imported to USA in those 3 years. That was nearly 20 years ago. There really are not more than 3,000 of those remaining road worthy.

That's really quite sad, I have had 3 Monteros, 2 Gen 2s, and a Gen 2.5; I can't seem to wrap my head around that number if I'm honest. I still have my SR and my 2.5. I'm only parting with them until they need to go to the graveyard, given how scarce good rigs are these days, as was the case with my first LS.

I just saw an ad for a nice 40k mile 2011 Pajero from Mexico for 11k. If I could justify having that as a daily driver I'd really think about how to get that in the country (Florida?).

Well, I hope this gives Toasty and Eurostar an opportunity take on the likes of ICON if things pick up; those Korean refabs are nice, but I'm certain those 2 would put them to shame and bring a lot old chassis back on the road and destroy an ICOn for 1/2 the price.

Ironically, I cannot wait for the advent of autonomous EVs to be the majority of cars on the road. I just saw Musk talking during the Boring company presentation, and that is the World I want to live in.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
He mentioned that he has purchased one. I am curious if he has a profile here. I am sure he has gone to the ADD forum for support and information. I also like that he linked the online museum. It has a lot of good history, part of why I keep it in my signature.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The Jeep is the most modified vehicle in the history of motor vehicles. Nothing else even close! The Jeep in all forms has more available parts and "Aftermarket" support than any other vehicle in the history of motor vehicles. As noted above No Mitsubishi in any form will ever come anywhere near a Jeep in popularity or parts availability. The Montero has a LONG way to go before anyone is going to offer new aftermarket parts on any scale above a "Cottage Industry" supplier/manufacturer given the limited amount of vehicles still on the road and limited appeal of the vehicle to most buyer's.

Take a look at the Toyota FJ62 Land Crusier as an example. The FJ60/62 is far more popular than the Montero ever was and ever will be yet look at all the parts needed to keep an FJ60/62 on the road that are no longer available from ANY supplier. Need a new gas tank? Not Available Anywhere and get this there is a Federal Recall for gas tanks still in force for the FJ62 where Toyota must replace the gas tanks due to a problem and Toyota does not have any tanks available. How about a new fuel pump bracket? Not Available Anywhere. New fuel tank sending unit? Not Available Anywhere. I could go on and on about parts for the FJ60/62 that are No Longer Available from any supplier yet the FJ60/62 Land Cruiser is still a popular vehicle!

Why?

It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY required to tool up to make replacement parts and that's EXPENSIVE unless you can sell a bunch of em!!!

I like the Montero, its capability and the current cheap entry cost to purchase one yet I will probably never own one due to the large amount of engine refurbishment issues they all need as noted here on this forum and potential for repair parts availability issues in the future. Just yesterday there was a post here on this very forum about another Mitsubishi parts supplier closing down.

Hey I like "Vintage" vehicles and own quite a few HOWEVER I also look for "Vintage" vehicles that are popular with LOT'S of people which makes em easy to keep running and EASY TO SELL when I want em to go away!

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
The Jeep is the most modified vehicle in the history of motor vehicles. Nothing else even close! The Jeep in all forms has more available parts and "Aftermarket" support than any other vehicle in the history of motor vehicles. As noted above No Mitsubishi in any form will ever come anywhere near a Jeep in popularity or parts availability. The Montero has a LONG way to go before anyone is going to offer new aftermarket parts on any scale above a "Cottage Industry" supplier/manufacturer given the limited amount of vehicles still on the road and limited appeal of the vehicle to most buyer's.

Take a look at the Toyota FJ62 Land Crusier as an example. The FJ60/62 is far more popular than the Montero ever was and ever will be yet look at all the parts needed to keep an FJ60/62 on the road that are no longer available from ANY supplier. Need a new gas tank? Not Available Anywhere and get this there is a Federal Recall for gas tanks still in force for the FJ62 where Toyota must replace the gas tanks due to a problem and Toyota does not have any tanks available. How about a new fuel pump bracket? Not Available Anywhere. New fuel tank sending unit? Not Available Anywhere. I could go on and on about parts for the FJ60/62 that are No Longer Available from any supplier yet the FJ60/62 Land Cruiser is still a popular vehicle!

Why?

It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY required to tool up to make replacement parts and that's EXPENSIVE unless you can sell a bunch of em!!!

I like the Montero, its capability and the current cheap entry cost to purchase one yet I will probably never own one due to the large amount of engine refurbishment issues they all need as noted here on this forum and potential for repair parts availability issues in the future. Just yesterday there was a post here on this very forum about another Mitsubishi parts supplier closing down.

Hey I like "Vintage" vehicles and own quite a few HOWEVER I also look for "Vintage" vehicles that are popular with LOT'S of people which makes em easy to keep running and EASY TO SELL when I want em to go away!
Add « in the United States » to everything you’ve said and I agree 100%, but the Montero needs to be looked at globally. I’m pretty sure aftermarket support is strong in Australia for example. Jeep rules the North American market, but Montero likely has sales in far more countries than Jeep. Does anyone know how many Monteros have been produced globally compared to Jeep?

Cruisn

Adventurer
Add « in the United States » to everything you’ve said and I agree 100%, but the Montero needs to be looked at globally. I’m pretty sure aftermarket support is strong in Australia for example. Jeep rules the North American market, but Montero likely has sales in far more countries than Jeep. Does anyone know how many Monteros have been produced globally compared to Jeep?

The market is oz is ******** for aftermarket. suspension, bullbar... few other bits. if you have a shorty... your dreaming. mind you I have a gen 4. even though most places dont even list the gen 1 online anymore for aftermarket parts.

plh

Explorer

Rough snap shot (Wrangler & Unlimited, Pajero & Montero - not Sport aka Pajero Sport) global production volume:
CY2018
Jeep - 334K
Montero/Pajero - 50K
CY2017
Jeep - 250K
Montero/Pajero - 36K
CY2016
Jeep - 239K
Montero/Pajero - 46K
CY2015
Jeep - 245K
Montero/Pajero - 56K
CY2014
Jeep - 235K
Montero/Pajero - 56K
CY2013
Jeep - 225K
Montero/Pajero - 55K
CY2012
Jeep - 200K
Montero/Pajero - 64K
CY2011
Jeep - 160K
Montero/Pajero - 68K
CY2010
Jeep - 145K
Montero/Pajero - 65K
CY2009
Jeep - 81K
Montero/Pajero - 90K
CY2008
Jeep - 130K
Montero/Pajero - 94K

Jeep info older than this I don't have easy access to.
Following is Montero/Pajero
CY2007 - 112K
CY2006 - 76K
CY2005 - 70K
CY2004 - 79K
CY2003 - 91K
CY2002 - 112K
CY2001 - 92K
CY2000 - 138K
CY1999 - 90K
CY1998 - 96K
CY1997 - 137K
CY1996 - 129K
CY1995 - 152K

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Someone needs to make licensed copies of Gen 2 Monteros in the states with updated drivetrain, steering and re engineered cabin for use with todays tech while still keeping the mechanics of the machine tractor simple. Is that too much to ask? Anyone want to give me a loan to start a car company?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1