Hitch Motorcycle Carrier on Sportsmobile

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I have an '07 Sportsmobile w/a Class IV hitch rated at 1200 lb tongue weight. I just purchased a F800GS, and I'm thinking of looking at the Versa Haul sportbike carrier (the bike would be around 500 lbs). The carrier is a single post, and I was thinking of adding two additional connection points/posts to even out the load.

The issue I have is I need about a foot extension on the hitch to pass the spare tire and the box mounted on the back. This accentuates the tilt caused by the weight. I was wondering about putting airbags on the suspension to even out the ride.

I have a motorcycle specific trailer, but the ground clearance is VERY low so its an issue when trying to go off road. I haven't really found anything that works for me (I have limited space in my garage).

Just looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:

trailsurfer

Explorer
I am having the guys at Adventure Trailers build a trailer for my BMW 1200 and a F800 GS. It will have a coil over shock system, matching wheels and color to the SMB.

Other specs: 20 gallon water tank
Electrical system, Battery
Awning
Front storage box
Up to 20 gallons of fuel storage
Ezi-Awn Roof tent

EMrider

Explorer
You can buy a hitch extension that will give you some extra clearance with the spare tire. I've used one with my motojack rack when I carry a dirtbike on the van. But whatever you do, you will need to find some way to eliminate movement in the hitch receiver. Mine had too much play and on the back of these vans, the leverage is substantial. IMHO, 500lbs is too much weight to carry on a hitch carrier. My bike weights about 250lbs and on modestly rough roads, it gets tossed around pretty badly back there.

jkam

nomadic man
I had a custom carrier made for the back of my class C RV using 3 mounting points. I can carry other stuff with this rack as well, like firewood. It doesn't move around at all with my little 250 Super Sherpa back there. Total cost was about $800 including receivers.

2211804119_3bec134e29.jpg

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I am having the guys at Adventure Trailers build a trailer for my BMW 1200 and a F800 GS. It will have a coil over shock system, matching wheels and color to the SMB.

I would be interested in seeing a pic of the finished product.

To answer some of the other posts, I have an extension I already use. I had a KTM 450 that I put on a Versa Haul dirt bike carrier, and it worked fine. The Versa Haul comes with a great metal piece that keeps the rack from swaying back and forth. My thought was to have additional receivers, or anchor points, welded to the two sides of the main hitch, and have corresponding bars welded to the Versa Haul carrier. This would create a three point anchor which would be good for the weight of that bike.

I was hoping to get away from a trailer to tow, and I thought the airbag suspension would be a good addition for the added weight. In the really rough stuff I could take the bike off and ride it through :bike_rider: while my wife drives behind me :smiley_drive: (if I can convince her to that is).

katoom400

the problem with using more recivers is that it starts to get very heavy. two recievers will be tough to line up with one person, 3 would be a complete *****. If you had to have more I sugest welding on recivers to the carrier and truck with seperate tubes to slide through with locking pins. that way you could slide the single stinger in place and then slip in the additional stingers one at a time.

I use a versahaul to carry my KTM 400 on the back of my Quigley, but I liked the design on the add-a-bike with it's arm that comes down over the bike. I welded on a reciver to accept the addabike upright and arm. I then just use 2 straps in the front and the arm over the bike....SUPER STABLE!

IMG_2789_8_1.JPG

billy bee

Adventurer
500 lbs would be way to heavy for my SMB. I often carry my KTM LC4 on a Joe Hauler rack. Makes a real difference in the handling...but I have relatively soft Deaver springs out back. But it is 320 lbs and I don't have to use an extension.

Any extension would scare me. The farther out it hangs, the more leverage it exerts. And conversely, the farther out it extends, the more it will be whipped around back there...this is before we discuss the rigidity of the mount (which has already been discussed).

Do you have the in-floor storage or could your spare go back under the van?

Lastly, I think a hitch-mounted front wheel chock could accomplish your goals. The rear (m/c) tire would track behind the van...making it an SOB to back up. Something you'd have to make. Never seen anything like that offered commercially.

bb

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
This is my current trailer with my most recent acquisition...

Attachments

• DSC_0012a.JPG
    DSC_0012a.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC_0013a.JPG
    DSC_0013a.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 299

xped

Adventurer
just something to think about, towing a trailer behind a van on dirt roads can lead to some sticky situations. I just got done building a new bumper for my
4x4 Dodge van to carry my bike as the trailer has more than once had to be disconnected so I could turn around on narrow dirt roads usually this has been at night and by myself. I guess there are +'s and -'s to either set up. I would not recommend extending the bike carrier as they already have to much leverage back there and I have heard of bikes coming off of them.

864x4rv

Observer
Cargo/motorcycle carrier

Hi all,

I just completed building a cargo/motorcycle carrier for my 86 Winnebago 4x4 rv. The idea was to eliminate using a utility trailer for carrying camping gear and a motorcycle on our trips. The rv is 26' long and towing a trailer was out of the question.

The design was based on being able to fold it up when not in use using three receiving points on the class V hitch.

The dimensions on the carrier are 76"x40"x8" with an expanded mesh on the inside.

The carrier can be remove just like any hitch mounted rack or folded up when not in use. I added trailer lights when folded down since it sticks out about 4 feet.

I have included pictures in the two positions. I used to own a 1997 Sportsmobile EB and I built a similar unit for it to carry my dirtbike.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 240

Forum statistics

Threads