How do you sport your SPOT?

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I got my SPOT Satellite Messenger for Christmas, and I started wondering where I would put it while out in the backcountry.
My SPOT always stays in my truck. I always carry it in my G.E.A.R. Seat Seat cover, but that isn't exactly the most optimum place for it to transmit from...

A quick trip to REI sorted me out. :victory:

I found a Pelican 1020 case, about 14" of 1"W Tubular, and a couple of buckles. By a stroke of pure luck, the rig I came up with fits PERFECTLY into my bed rack.

My SPOT is secure, doesn't bounce around, is probably in the best possible location for transmitting, is sealed from dust, water, bird poop, etc., and is still easily accessible in an emergency (provided that my truck dosn't go over a cliff).

What else have you resourceful fellows come up with?

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Jamie, don't take this the wrong way please. I really don't think that's the best place to mount it.

I'd be hesitant to mount my $150 device to any external part of my truck or trailer(Pelican case or not). I look at it as one more thing that i'll lose or break if poop hits the fan out on the trail (rollover, back into a tree, what have you). I just have mine zip tied to the grab handle on the a-pillar **inside the truck.

I really want my spot to work, when god forbid i roll my junk in the middle of no where instead of it laying next to my truck shattered in 50 pieces. - Just my $0.02

4GRAINR

Adventurer
Mine seems to fit perfectly between the GPS windshield mount and the A pillar of the front windshield. I have logged over 3500 miles (both US and Mexico) with the Spot there and had zero issues ... tracking maps worked perfectly every time.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Mine came from the factory dust, water, bird poop proof.:sombrero:

SPOT recommends for best reception the unit should lay flat.

Attachments

• Spot storage.JPG
    Spot storage.JPG
    882.4 KB · Views: 85

August

Observer
IMG_2508.sized.jpg

Mine works just fine on the dash with a Ram-Mount. The LEDs aren't distracting at night and the buttons are within east reach.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Mine is velcro'ed to the roof of the mog in a pelican case. It doesn't work reliably from inside the mog because of the angle of the windshield and I have a metal roof rack with Zarges cases on it.

if it comes off the roof I'll know exactly where it is!

Rob

TroutBear

Bit of a hijack - but how's the SPOT performance been for you? I've considered getting one for the Southeastern region - North AL, Eastern TN, Western NC - but read several negative reviews on the sat coverage, call center support staff... just wondering

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I got my SPOT Satellite Messenger for Christmas, and I started wondering where I would put it while out in the backcountry.
My SPOT always stays in my truck. I always carry it in my G.E.A.R. Seat Seat cover, but that isn't exactly the most optimum place for it to transmit from...

A quick trip to REI sorted me out. :victory:

I found a Pelican 1020 case, about 14" of 1"W Tubular, and a couple of buckles. By a stroke of pure luck, the rig I came up with fits PERFECTLY into my bed rack.

My SPOT is secure, doesn't bounce around, is probably in the best possible location for transmitting, is sealed from dust, water, bird poop, etc., and is still easily accessible in an emergency (provided that my truck dosn't go over a cliff).

What else have you resourceful fellows come up with?

I was wondering where you got your seat cover?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Bit of a hijack - but how's the SPOT performance been for you? I've considered getting one for the Southeastern region - North AL, Eastern TN, Western NC - but read several negative reviews on the sat coverage, call center support staff... just wondering

I have never experienced any problems with reception. I have used mine in open desert, under trees in the forest, and in fairly deep canyons. My OK messages have all gotten through.

I haven't heard of problems with the Spot call center staff. I have seen reports of problems with local Sheriff Departments not understanding GPS coordinates and how to use them but I think that would be the exception and not the rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1