How to decide

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm opening up here to the greater knowledge of this community; thus far you have been a great source of unselfish wisdom, encouragement, and laughs.

Here's the deal. In a nutshell, my health has gotten pretty bad. Not cough-cough bad, heart attack & bad joints bad. Among a few other things.

But my spirit of adventure is alive and well.
My wife and I love to travel (with the dog now too) and have done extensive touring by motorcycle. From northern Canada to Brazil/Argentina/Paraguay, we just love to experience things.

I had to get rid of the bike and I bought a Jeep to stay connected to the outdoors. We enjoy camping and want to get out as often as possible. But the body is protesting; the camp set-ups and tear-downs are too much for me.

So I've been mulling over the benefits and downsides of outfitting the Jeep as a stand-alone adventure vehicle vs a trailer with rtt.
The single vehicle approach appeals to me. More mobile, tighter, tent is higher (bears), faster.
But the trailer is always ready to go -- I don't have to lift the tent on and off a cage.

The trailer seems to make the most sense and I've been bouncing the idea for 4 months now. I need to see this from the eyes of you more-seasoned vets.

Thanks.

Ireland

Adventurer
I'd say "bad joints bad" don't lend themselves to getting into and out of a RTT even if it is set up at a lower level on say a trailer. Not to mention the extra work of setting up and tearing down a RTT, especially if it is high up on a vehicle.
A Bowler trailer with bigger wheels or maybe a teardrop type trailer IMO would be much more suitable for your needs.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ireland said:
I'd say "bad joints bad" don't lend themselves to getting into and out of a RTT even if it is set up at a lower level on say a trailer. Not to mention the extra work of setting up and tearing down a RTT, especially if it is high up on a vehicle.
A Bowler trailer with bigger wheels or maybe a teardrop type trailer IMO would be much more suitable for your needs.
I'm 6'5" and have a rough time with those little tear-drops... ...not to mention the garage space. Not familiar with a Bowler; time to Google it.
Is it involved to open an rtt? I'm seriously considering a Sherpa; it would fit in the garage easily in front of my wife's Mini.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I would recommend that you hold off on your purchase until we come out with our new Clamshell trailer. See the AT spy photo thread.

The trailer will give you full off road capability along with easy access for entering the living area.

I fully understand where you are coming from, my wife has mobility issues with her knees and is looking forward to the clamshell trailer (along with many others).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Martyn said:
I would recommend that you hold off on your purchase until we come out with our new Clamshell trailer. See the AT spy photo thread.

The trailer will give you full off road capability along with easy access for entering the living area.

I fully understand where you are coming from, my wife has mobility issues with her knees and is looking forward to the clamshell trailer (along with many others).
Oooooo.
I'll go look...

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Hilldweller,

Kind of a different direction, but along the same theme...I recently discontinued my foray into long distance off-road adventure motorcycling.

177137646_WYsc3-M.jpg

It's a long story but suffice it to say, I decided to do the right thing for our marriage. Anyway, we recently took delivery of our new Sportsmobile. We have traveled all over northern California, the Sierra and a 6,000 mile trip around the Rockies following many sections of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail. Talk about ease of camp setup / tear down, etc, not to mention its awesome capability.

366772411_4iEwr-M.jpg

With the addition of a small step stool, one could easily access everything you could ask for in terms of a vehicle dependant adventure.

Just a thought.

Wishing you all the best and hoping for speedy improvement in you physical condition!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks, Blackeye; that rig looks sweet.
I'm also a recovering carohaulic and my wife has informed me that I had better keep the Jeep for 5 (count'em, five) years --- or else.
So, whatever else happens, the mule is a 2 door 2008 Sahara with the Freedom Top.

The Clamshell trailer is very appealing. Very...
It will come down to budget on that puppy.

I'll write a check tomorrow, Martyn --- if the price is right... :bowdown:

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Sounds like a great plan. If you can, post some photos of your setup once you get it all together.

All the best to you and safe adventures! See you out there.

mrchips

Adventurer
I am 6' 7" and have the Chaser with the EzeeAwn 1800 series and I love it. Plenty room for the wife and I, and have allot more room than just the Jeep. Have the trailer packed most of the time and is a quick hook up and am on my way. Hope it helped you some.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
mrchips said:
I am 6' 7" and have the Chaser with the EzeeAwn 1800 series and I love it. Plenty room for the wife and I, and have allot more room than just the Jeep. Have the trailer packed most of the time and is a quick hook up and am on my way. Hope it helped you some.
I've been waiting to hear from another "normal-sized" camper. The wee people don't usually understand it when I tell them that a king-sized bed is too short... That's why the clamshell looks pretty good; if the bed is too short, at least I can hang my feet off rather then try to cram myself between two tent walls.
Do you have room to really stretch out in that tent? Or are you ketty-corner in there?
The only tent that I've tried-on so far has been the ARB --- I liked it alot for use on a rooftop but it wouldn't be as good on a trailer; I'd have to duck to get in it...

We're going to get out into the Chatahoochee on Nootootley Creek tomorrow morning for the weekend; anybody in north GA wanna go? It's really beautiful there...

100_0236-1.jpg

mrchips

Adventurer
tent dimensions are 6'x8, and I can stretch out with no annoying issues while sleeping
And no just sleep in the normal straight position, no corner to corner,,,,,

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
back sleeper

I also have a Chaser and an 1800 tent. I'm about 6'2" and like to sleep stretched out flat on my back. The Eezi-Awn 1800 offers plenty to length for this. A Chaser or Horizon with the 1800 tent is one option, but the 'in development' AT Clamshell sounds enticing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1