How To: F-Series Ford Power Towing Mirrors to E-Series Van Conversation

flightcancled

Explorer
2af851310312b42b16631831e2004b49.jpg

Although they were never made for vans, older oval style Ford Power Towing Mirrors share the same extension arms as the E-Series "Paddle Mirrors"

Swapping the F-Series mirrors onto the E-Series bases is a relatively simple task, however all parts do have to wind up in the correct place and orientation otherwise they will not function properly.

In the process of figuring this out I nearly completely took these things apart. Here is (I think) the minimum effort needed to do the swap. If you need to know more for some reason just ask.

You will need:
F-Series OEM Power Adjust and Signal Mirrors
E-Series OEM Extending Power Mirrors
Small deep socket set
Flathead screw driver
Needle-nosed pliers
Hammer

Start by pairing the mirrors by side, diver side with driver side and passenger side with passenger side. (Believe me, after a few beers and working while watching TV I had them all messed up.)

Cut all electrical connectors off the mirrors. They won't be able to pass through the hole in the mirror base.

I did the whole thing by putting the mirror between my legs while sitting on the couch. This is much easier than hunching over a table.

Extend the mirrors to give yourself some breathing room. Carefully remove the foam gaskets from the base of the mirrors and set them aside.

The plastic mirror base cover is clipped in place on the sides. Use the screwdriver and slowly loosen the clips and wiggle the cover down.

4d6cbfca5e8eb94e6961ddc8d4fbd25e.jpg

On the face of the mirror base is a single bolt head. This is the tensioner for the folding mechanism. Loosen until the bolt and clip wiggle freely.

e5fdab89f39c918df07dea5b899ccea3.jpg

Flip the mirror to the closed position.

4 metal bands attach the extension arms to the base. Remove all bolts on one side, and then loosen the bolts on the other side until the band swings freely out of the way.

eb3fc12ba6c571a41f0023159eedb0cd.jpg

Feed the wires through the base so they are free. Pull the base off the mirrors carefully.

The metal rod running between the ends of the extension arms is what controls the folding mechanism. Pull it out and set it aside. Inspect for wear and be sure to use the rods in the best shape in the mirrors going on your van.

Remove the end caps on the extension arms with a gentle pull. Label if necessary. These must go back on the same arm in the same direction or the mirror won't fold. (Guess how I know)

uploadfromtaptalk1428123224282.jpg

Find the C-clips on the extension arm ends. Remove with pliers without bending them. Push the round pieces the clips hold in place out with the hammer and screwdriver. Be careful not to damage the wiring.

Slide the plastic base cover off the extension arms and place with the correct base.

Once both mirrors for one side are apart you can reverse the process to reassemble. Replace or repair any wire protection/insulation as needed. Make sure the tension rod is in place and the bolt is tightened or the mirrors won't stay folded out.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've been wanting to do this for a long time...
I'm glad that you have done it and it was relatively easy.
Big Bang Theory, great show.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Dude I'm totally lost. I'm not sure hwat conversion you're doing here. I know you say you are taking superduty mirrors and swapping on the bases from paddle style E-series mirrors. Right? But you say your doors were already drilled for newer style mirrors (superduty? Paddle style?) and the first pic in your black friday thread shows superduty mirrors already installed. I think.

So thats where I'm confused, and I know that's not hard to do, so could you clarify a bit exactly what is being swapped in? I'm super interested because I have a 1992 as well and would love to ditch the monstrosities that are on there now, but I'm just not sure what you've done and exactly what parts you've used to get there.

flightcancled

Explorer
The previous owner drilled the doors to accept the 2004+ "paddle" mirrors. So I had those when I got my rig.

To install in older vans you have to drill oversized holes and bolt in with big washers.

I swapped the bases to get:
Running lights
Turn signals
Heat
Power adjustment.

dcguillory

Adventurer
E series doors changed in 2004(?) so in order for someone to use this write up they need to know what to do to their door to prep it. Good piece of info here, just needs a bit more if someone is to follow it as a recipe.

JaredG21

i know this is an incredible old thread but I just tackled this swap and it wasnt so bad, well thanks to flightcancled. My question - has anyone figured out the wiring conversion from the Superduty mirrors to the van? I assume that since the turn signals were never a thing for the van that I'll have to find them in the dash but perhaps the other wires will be in my doors since my van did come with power mirrors?
Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal